Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defining Movie Scenes

• 02-07-2005 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

taking the idea of this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=274541

and running i'm gonna start the most defining film scene moment in any movie.

now as they are scenes unless you think they are wildly known try and describe them as best you can.

Mine is the russion roulette game in The Deer Hunter. i found they brought the shear terror and suspence of what i can only assume a real game would be like and threw in the added effect of the horror of war.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

well without being to cliched here but the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

The horse's head in the bed in THE GODFATHER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the final confrontation between ripley and the alien queen in Aliens...it was the finale that topped the film off perfectly fromthe queens introduction to her death is one of the best rollercoaster moments in cinema...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

the rutger howard scene at the end of bladerunner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

I think a lot of people are not going to get this and just post the end or "best bits" of movies.

Anyway I have a good few, its late so I'll just post one.

"I Know Kung Fu" from the Matrix. There were so many great bits just before and after this bit like Morpheous telling Neo what was going on, but when Neo started having the knowledge of Kung Fu moves programmed into him via a computer, it just clicked with me and like Neo, I replied to Tank with a mighty "Hell yes".

This to me, is one of the greatest set ups in cinema history. It was simply saying to the audience "Get ready for some of the most spectacular action scenes you've ever seen", and it was right, it delivered throughout the Matrix agan and again.

Even though it could be argued, and rightfully so, that the action that followed wasnt the best that was ever filmed(pretty damn close). It was just that this moment was such a GREAT set up, that whatever followed would be amazing no matter what. Every computer geek watching at that moment became Neo sitting there thinking "**** yeah, its all paying off, and serious ass will be kicked". And it was of course.

Taken together with the brilliant scenes explaing how rules can be broken, it went on to make up the scenes that would define the Matrix, and later on carry the Matrix Reloaded and be the highlight of the Matrix Revolutions. After those, what, 5 minutes, nobody ever blinked an eye when Trinity took on a group of security guards alone, when Neo took on half a dozen super vampires with just his hands, or when Morpheous battled on top of a big rig speeding down a highway. It was all just normal stuff, as ordinairy as a character throwing a punch, all because of that scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

The opening scene in Scream. Might be a bit tacky and dated now but when it first came out it was brilliant. Kicked off the film from the start, straight down no kissing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its cliche (now) but the ending of Medium Cool where the - ah I don't want to spoil the moment as for those who have'nt seen it but can do so this week on BBC 2 on Wednesday night.

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The opening in Star Wars with the Star Destroyer coming into view. Seminal science-fiction scene. Star Wars has become somewhat tainted for me with the new trilogy, but that scene still does it for me every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The "you talking to me" scene from taxi driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Do we only get one each?

I'd have to also pick the "What the **** is so funny about me" scene in Goodfellas. It just does so much for those two characters, and says what kind of film its going to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

All good ones so far.
    Matrix - Opening scene with Trinity doing the bullet time kick, un-freakin-believable.
    Sixth Sense -
    the moment you realise he's dead
    Any Given Sunday - The half-time speech
    Terminator - Yer man's speech about how the terminator will never stop, never get tired etc.
    Rocky - the montage of him training. It gets me syked up every time
    Shawshank Redemption - so many moments, but the revelation of how Andy escapes stands out.

That's all from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The **** you montage from the 25th hour where ed norton is looking in the mirror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

how about the T-Rex's pupil shrinking in the Jeep window in Jurassic park?

The Fellowship of the Ring and the Prolouge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

The Scene at the end of Platoon where
    The chopper is taking off and you see the guy come running out of the forest and gets shot down by the enemy

Or the big speech by colnel natan jessop at the end of a few good men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the Club Silencio (sp) scene in Mulholland Drive - freaking blew me away (much like the rest of the movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The gimp scene in Pulp Fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

American History X at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Time Warp
    The fight on the ladders in Once Upon a Time in China.
    Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling's first conversation in Silence of the Lambs.
    OldBoy the corridor fight scene.
    Blade opening credits and subsequent fight scene at the rave.
    Irreversible, the whole concept of the movie is excellent - everybody must see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

juggalo i bought the dvd last year and i watched the first 20 mins of it i had to turn it off i wasnt in the mood for it and i havent watched it since .. i need to though my mates seen it and he loved it
    i love those type of movies but

*****SPOILER*****

the beginining* where the dudes head is gettin beaten in by the Fire thingy was where i turned it off ..NORMALLY i dont turn it off but hey it wasnt the right day for that movie

*END SPOILER*

now my favourite movie scenes?

more spoilers??

its a scene from thirteen where the main actress breaks down infront of her mom
    its at the end

Kids .. the end .. where he realises what the **** he just did
    anyone see that movie?

i suggest yall see it

I only caught the start of kids, I think I'll buy the dvd, seemed like a great movie. Irreversible is excellent, there a 2 scenes which are very hard to take, but nevertheless, it is a fantastic movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Warning *SPOILERS* if you have not seen either of these films

Good Will Hunting - When Robin Williams and Matt Damon are sitting on the bench "If I asked you about love, you'd probably quote me a sonnet. But you've never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable, known someone that could level you with her eyes. Feeling like God put an angel on Earth just for you, could rescue you from the depths of Hell. And you wouldn't know what it's like to be her angel. To have that love for her, to be there forever." and so on...

Apocalypse Now - "You smell that? You smell that? Napalm son. I love the smell of napalm in the mourning. One time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up there. We didn't find one of 'em not one stinkin dink body but that smell. You know, that gasoline smell. Smelled like...victory. someday this war is gonna end."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

A Fistful of Dollars... with Clint walking towards the 3 guys who just shot at his horse and as he walks by an undertaker he tells him to prepare 3 coffins and keeps striding towards the guys. The confidence and coolness of the guy... I love it... and it set up the whole film and the entire 'dollars' trilogy

Also in The Good the Bad and the Ugly there are a large number of great scenes, including:
    the 'ecstasy of gold' when tuco runs into and around the cemetery where the gold is hidden. the joy on his face, the bright colours, the fantastic music (that metallica fans will know)
    the scene where the 2 armies are fighting over the bridge and the blondie and tuco blow it up (to the delight of the dying general)
    and, of course, the final climactic shoot-out between the 'good' the 'bad' and the 'ugly'.
    ...God I love that film, I might have to watch it again tonight.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

The car journey in Se7en, where John Doe explains why he did and does what he did and is doing. Coupled with how that film ends, you would really see the sick freak's point!

BTW, in case any of you guys are wierd enough to follow my posts, you may find that I mention this one a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

"luke, I am your father!"
    class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

heh kids was great juggalo

i just bought gummo , manic and julien donkey boy and something happiness by the same guy ..ima check em out in the next few days and give u a heads up if your interested

Cool, I heard Gummo is meant to be brilliant. I can't find it in any shop though. You get them online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Easy peasy. The opening conversation over breakfast scene from Reservoir Dogs. With Madonna, Mr. White taking the address book and no tipping it's just perfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

the scene in The Quiet Man where John Wayne goes home to find Maureen O'Hara cleaning his house is one of the most beautiful pieces of cinema ever, seriously that film is worth watching just for that one scene

Advertisement