Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair

• 02-07-2005 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I have long hair and it's getting to be a pain. Right now, it's about 14-15 inches long. I've been growing it for a few years, but it's getting to be too much hassle to look after, so I'm looking for something shorter.

Friends haven't been much help and there's surprisingly little information on the web about men's hair - Google keeps giving me results on treatments for baldness.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions or advice. I'm not too sure what I'm looking for. I want something that will be easier to managed and maybe a little neater.

I've been looking around the net at pictures and I came across a few of Johnny Depp in Donnie Brasco. I'm not hoping to wind up looking like the guy, but it looks like a classy style.

Since he has his hair combed back for most of the movie, it's hard to determine the length, but I found a couple where he has a few strands hanging down. (depp2, depp3 and depp4).

Can anyone tell me exactly what to ask for? A few people warned me about bringing a picture along since generally the barber doesn't create any similarity, so I'd rather go in and be able to verbally explain what I want done.

Also, do barbers cater for any type of hair, or would I have to go to a hairdressers to get it styled.

I'm sorry if this all comes across as overly vain, but I've been growing my hair for years and I don't want to wind up with short spikey hair and blond highlights.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

If you want that exact hair style, my advice to you would be to go to a proper hairdressers and bring pictures with you. The pictures will help you and your hairdresser out a lot, so he/she will know excactly what you want.

I can't verbally tell you what to ask for if you MUST go to a barber, I'm sure someone else can. If you want a certain hair style with long hair, I dont think you'll get it at a barbers. A barber might be able to give you that length, but its probably more complicated than that with undercuts and all that.

Honestly, if you go to a hairdressers, you'd have a much better chance to get excactly what you want, and not just what a barber can give you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 J.Finn

Well as I said, I've been recommended by a handful of people that bringing pictures doesn't work too well. Plus the ones I posted aren't too clear. That's why I'm wondering where I could find out exactly what to ask for, to make absolutely sure they understand.

I'm not too sure of the exact differences between what a barber and a hairdressers offer, but I have no problem with going to a hairdressers to get it done.

I'm not totally set on that particular hairstyle - I just want something shorter, easier to manage and that's not already worn by 90% of people in my age group, so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for the advice anyway. I appreciate any input. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Erm, if you go to the barbers, do NOT bring pictures 2 or 3 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Don't get it that short. It can sometimes hang down into your eyes and be really annoying. Get them to trim it up to about shoulder lenth, or just short enough so that you can still tie it back in a ponytail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

I like that length myself. It wont get in your eyes if its parted. My hair only annoys me if its at the exact length where the end of the hair in my fringe pokes into my eye, but once its longer its OK. And you can always copy Johnny and have it gelled back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

My hair was as long if not longer than yours a few weeks ago and your right it is a pain in the blx but i got mine cut. Didnt really give it much thought but i got above shoulder lenght but i remember thinking at the time that i should have got it just long enough for a ponytail

Well thats my two cents...:p

Newaglish wrote:
    Erm, if you go to the barbers, do NOT bring pictures 2 or 3 ;)

:p That's one of the reasons I'm trying to find out what to ask for, so that I can avoid pictures. None of them are all that great. That and aside from the warnings I've heard about going along with pictures, I'd feel like a bit of a muppet going into a hairdressers with pictures of Johnny Depp. :o
    Don't get it that short. It can sometimes hang down into your eyes and be really annoying. Get them to trim it up to about shoulder lenth, or just short enough so that you can still tie it back in a ponytail.

It's just passed my shoulders now. But it's too much effort to look after, that's why I want to get it cut shorter. I doubt it'll poke me in the eyes if I part it or comb it back.
    Kazaanova wrote:
    I like that length myself. It wont get in your eyes if its parted. My hair only annoys me if its at the exact length where the end of the hair in my fringe pokes into my eye, but once its longer its OK. And you can always copy Johnny and have it gelled back.

Well as I said, it'll probably be styled so it's not in my eyes. It looks like it'll be decent enough if it's worn with a parting in it, but I'll probably try wetting or gelling it back anyway. So that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    My hair was as long if not longer than yours a few weeks ago and your right it is a pain in the blx but i got mine cut. Didnt really give it much thought but i got above shoulder lenght but i remember thinking at the time that i should have got it just long enough for a ponytail

Well thats my two cents... :p

The high maintenance is the main reason I want to shorten it. A ponytail can be handy, but it has to be washed everyday and it takes ages to dry, even with a blow dryer.

The lack of information on the net about this really is unbelievable. Should I try going onto the site of some high-profile salon and e-mailing some professionals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

;/

*sigh* soon there will be no more guys with long hair left... no wonder I'm more interested in girls.

J.Finn wrote:
    It's just passed my shoulders now. But it's too much effort to look after, that's why I want to get it cut shorter. I doubt it'll poke me in the eyes if I part it or comb it back.

If you part it at that lenth it'll look like a bowl cut your mother did for you.

In all fiarness, you should leave it the lenth it is, and get used to having daily showers. I'd hardly call that high maintenence, more like basic hygene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

I love you sometimes Hungus :D

• Advertisement

Rozie wrote:
    ;/

*sigh* soon there will be no more guys with long hair left... no wonder I'm more interested in girls.

A hair length that can change sexual preference. :cool: I suppose I'll just have to take the risk and hope my personality does the trick. :D
    If you part it at that lenth it'll look like a bowl cut your mother did for you.

In all fiarness, you should leave it the lenth it is, and get used to having daily showers. I'd hardly call that high maintenence, more like basic hygene.

I was thinking that myself, but if it's going to be like that, I could get it cut so the actual step in my hair would slope down from the back of my head to hanging over my eyes.

I've seen something like it before and I doubt it'd change the look much if I decided to comb it back.

I've had it at this length for a few years now and I do take daily showers. It's really a matter of preference and I don't like having to spend so long getting it dry. I miss the days where my hair was short enough to have a quick wash, then be able to let it dry without putting a towel near it.

My aim is just to get something which isn't what everyone else has, but is easy to manage. That chop just happens to be the best I've come across. I am open to suggestions, but the main thing is an easy to manage style. Call it preference; call it laziness, but it's what I want to get. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Dreds!
    Everyone likes dreds!

Or mohawks!
    Or really long spikes!
    Or a perm & then you can look like Slash form G'n'R!

slash4.jpg
    I could lend you my bunny stuff if you'd like?

Look, if you want easy to manage, just shave your head and be done with it. I've had long hair down to me arse in the past, and I can honestly say it was never hard to manage compared to shorter haircuts I've had as of late.

Trust me, you don't have Johnny Depp's stylist, so you're going to have to do a lot more to manage shorter hair, as there's likely parts that are going to stick out (And believe me, when your hair has been wieghed down under it's own lenth, it WANTS to stick out and stand up all over the shop) and it can be very annoying. Bottom line is, shorter doesn't mean easier to manage unless you just shave it.

Dreds!
    Everyone likes dreds!

Or mohawks!
    Or really long spikes!
    Or a perm & then you can look like Slash form G'n'R!

[Image]
    I could lend you my bunny stuff if you'd like?

:eek: That's scary AND hairy.
    Look, if you want easy to manage, just shave your head and be done with it. I've had long hair down to me arse in the past, and I can honestly say it was never hard to manage compared to shorter haircuts I've had as of late.

Trust me, you don't have Johnny Depp's stylist, so you're going to have to do a lot more to manage shorter hair, as there's likely parts that are going to stick out (And believe me, when your hair has been wieghed down under it's own lenth, it WANTS to stick out and stand up all over the shop) and it can be very annoying. Bottom line is, shorter doesn't mean easier to manage unless you just shave it.

I've considered shaving it, but I'd probably wind up with a really white scalp. I find shorter haircuts to be easier in terms of fewer tangles, quicker to wash and dry and pretty simple to style.

I can see your point. I don't mind getting a fairly tight cut, but I'd still like to have enough to run my hand through and mess around with. My main problem with that is that there's very little that can be done with those shorter cuts to stand out from the muppets with white tracksuits and about twenty sovereign rings.

If you want to stand out, get a neon hat.

J.Finn wrote:
    I can see your point. I don't mind getting a fairly tight cut, but I'd still like to have enough to run my hand through and mess around with. My main problem with that is that there's very little that can be done with those shorter cuts to stand out from the muppets with white tracksuits and about twenty sovereign rings.
    So true :D

Karl shorter hair is always easier to manage unless you want to have bent spikes in your hair.

Just cut it to bout 12inches regularly enough and it easy enough to manage
    wrote:
    If you want to stand out, get a neon hat.
    An alternative and a half :p

Clearly this is the hat of choice:

gibsonhat.jpg

Think id rather the white tracksuit with the sovereign rings :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

hee hee i like that hat does it come in red and black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Its not possible t have hair that stands out, is easy to manage and is relativly clean. Short hair is easy to manage and keep clean but is very ordinary. Long hair is harder to manage(tangles, etc.) and takes much longer to wash, dreads are unique but hardest to manage and keep clean. You are going to have to sacrafice something. My hair is short, easy to manage and thats good enough for me. I can honestly say that if i was to get up aand spend half an hour on it every morning i'd go mad after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Thing about keeping your hair short is that fairly regular trips to the barber are needed, which dispise with a fiery passion. That being said having your hair dryed after 10 seconds with a hairdryer is fantastic. You're right 4xcut, there is no middle ground...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm in the middle ground! My hair is too short to tie into a ponytail but long enough that the fringe comes down to my eyes. I'd part it except when I go I look like a ginger version of Hitler without the moustache!

So true :D

Karl shorter hair is always easier to manage unless you want to have bent spikes in your hair.

Just cut it to bout 12inches regularly enough and it easy enough to manage

Exactly. There's no way less hair can be harder to look after. Kudos to those who do have long hair and the patience to care for it, but it's just driving me nuts now.
    Clearly this is the hat of choice:

I used to regularly wear tophats to gigs :rolleyes: That could be quite interesting.
    4Xcut wrote:
    Its not possible t have hair that stands out, is easy to manage and is relativly clean. Short hair is easy to manage and keep clean but is very ordinary. Long hair is harder to manage(tangles, etc.) and takes much longer to wash, dreads are unique but hardest to manage and keep clean. You are going to have to sacrafice something. My hair is short, easy to manage and thats good enough for me. I can honestly say that if i was to get up aand spend half an hour on it every morning i'd go mad after a while.

That's a valid point. But as I said, all I want is something easy to manage, neat and that's not going to relate me to any social groups I don't like. I suppose if worst comes to worst, I'll just go to the barber and ask him to leave me with about an inch and a half all over. That should be ideal.
    grimloch wrote:
    Thing about keeping your hair short is that fairly regular trips to the barber are needed, which dispise with a fiery passion. That being said having your hair dryed after 10 seconds with a hairdryer is fantastic. You're right 4xcut, there is no middle ground...

I don't really mind going to the barber. It's not a big hassle. When I had my hair short, it was once a month or so. Besides, it'd probably work out as less than the time I spend waiting for my hair to dry.

I'm in the middle ground! My hair is too short to tie into a ponytail but long enough that the fringe comes down to my eyes. I'd part it except when I go I look like a ginger version of Hitler without the moustache!

That could be fun for Halloween :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭judesherry

ive had a bit of experience over the years with just about every hair style, shaved, dreads, spiked, Mohawk, long and short.at the moment its shoulder length which i find is the easiest to manage.
    short = lots of trips to the hairdresser and constant styling that never goes the way you want it
    dreads= great unless you lazy like me so ended up a mess
    shaved = v easy to manage but cold in winter and not good on a girl
    Mohawk= it was about 4 years ago before every tosser had one
    long = if you get a really really good shampoo and conditioner i find you don't have to wash it as much. i have dead straight hair which gets greasy easily but the purple shampoo from lush saves me from the everyday wash. it's v plain jane at the mo so have to go the to hairdresser v soon

anywho thats what i think, stick to shoulder length and get good shampoo. plus my personal gut reaction to the johnny depp haircut it sleaze bag. Sorry.

My hair is a ****LOAD easier to manage now that it's a good bit past my shoulders than it was when it was at that length J. Depp had there.

Trust me, if you're cutting hair for maintainance, don't.

All you'll be doing is going back to that nasty "growing out stage", just ever so slightly easier, but since it WON'T grow out since you're keeping it short, it'll become frustrating.

And yes, guys cutting hair has put me off them a little, they just can't keep up any kind of alternative look for more than 5 seconds without going back to normal. Ugh. So frustrating. At least I can trust a girl to have a bit more funk for longer.

J.Finn wrote:
    Exactly. There's no way less hair can be harder to look after. Kudos to those who do have long hair and the patience to care for it, but it's just driving me nuts now.

Look, I know for a fact that when you go from long hair to short hair, the effect of the hair hanging down under its own wieght for so long will make it spring up all over the place. That is fact. I personally had to use a hell of a lot of gel to keep from looking like I got electrocuted. It is a hell of a lot harder to keep in line, so trust me, I know these things.

Look, I know for a fact that when you go from long hair to short hair, the effect of the hair hanging down under its own wieght for so long will make it spring up all over the place. That is fact. I personally had to use a hell of a lot of gel to keep from looking like I got electrocuted. It is a hell of a lot harder to keep in line, so trust me, I know these things.

I have the same experience...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Look, I know for a fact that when you go from long hair to short hair, the effect of the hair hanging down under its own wieght for so long will make it spring up all over the place.

He speaks the truth....if you think having your head shaved will not look really stupid on you, and you're not working in a field in which that can't of thing wouldn't work I'd go for that. There are several reasons:

1. Easy to mantain, and you don't need to go to a barbers ever (just shave it yourself).
    2. It fits into almost every "social group" so you wont be labelled.
    3. It can actually look pretty cool.

I'd love to have a shaved head, but I've had very close to it before and it just didn't look right at all at all....actually perhaps I'll start a thread regarding my next haircut ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

If you're going to get it styled so that it meets what you wanna do with it then go to a decent hairdresser.

Do not go to a barbers - for one you can't really ask them what they think would look good and for two you'll just end up with the same haircut as the rest of the population.

If you go somewhere like Toni & Guy / another of the same ilk of salons, you'll be able to discuss it with whoever's gonna cut your hair without feeling like a prat. If you're paying €40 for a cut then at least you know it's going to be a decent one :p

• Advertisement

Fobia wrote:
    He speaks the truth....if you think having your head shaved will not look really stupid on you, and you're not working in a field in which that can't of thing wouldn't work I'd go for that. There are several reasons:

1. Easy to mantain, and you don't need to go to a barbers ever (just shave it yourself).
    2. It fits into almost every "social group" so you wont be labelled.
    3. It can actually look pretty cool.

I'd love to have a shaved head, but I've had very close to it before and it just didn't look right at all at all....actually perhaps I'll start a thread regarding my next haircut ;)

Shaved head though, not only do you have to shave your face, but your head too :| It's not completely low maintainance.

The best thing is to justl et your hair grow and never get it cut :P

judesherry wrote:
    ive had a bit of experience over the years with just about every hair style, shaved, dreads, spiked, Mohawk, long and short.at the moment its shoulder length which i find is the easiest to manage.
    short = lots of trips to the hairdresser and constant styling that never goes the way you want it
    dreads= great unless you lazy like me so ended up a mess
    shaved = v easy to manage but cold in winter and not good on a girl
    Mohawk= it was about 4 years ago before every tosser had one
    long = if you get a really really good shampoo and conditioner i find you don't have to wash it as much. i have dead straight hair which gets greasy easily but the purple shampoo from lush saves me from the everyday wash. it's v plain jane at the mo so have to go the to hairdresser v soon

anywho thats what i think, stick to shoulder length and get good shampoo. plus my personal gut reaction to the johnny depp haircut it sleaze bag. Sorry.

Well as I said, trips to the barber don't bother me. Hair is supposed to grow about a quarter of an inch per month, on average. It'd still work out handier.
    Rozie wrote:
    My hair is a ****LOAD easier to manage now that it's a good bit past my shoulders than it was when it was at that length J. Depp had there.

Trust me, if you're cutting hair for maintainance, don't.

All you'll be doing is going back to that nasty "growing out stage", just ever so slightly easier, but since it WON'T grow out since you're keeping it short, it'll become frustrating.

And yes, guys cutting hair has put me off them a little, they just can't keep up any kind of alternative look for more than 5 seconds without going back to normal. Ugh. So frustrating. At least I can trust a girl to have a bit more funk for longer.

It's the washing, drying and combing that get on my nerves. I really can't see a problem with trading those in for more regular trips to the barber.

I spent 2-3 years growing my hair and I've had it long for 3-4 years. So it was a pretty long phase for me. :p

I can appreciate what you're saying, but I'm not going to keep my hair long for fear of it going all over the place. It'd probably eventually turn to normal after a few washes. I could just use a little gel until then.
    moridin wrote:
    If you're going to get it styled so that it meets what you wanna do with it then go to a decent hairdresser.

Do not go to a barbers - for one you can't really ask them what they think would look good and for two you'll just end up with the same haircut as the rest of the population.

If you go somewhere like Toni & Guy / another of the same ilk of salons, you'll be able to discuss it with whoever's gonna cut your hair without feeling like a prat. If you're paying €40 for a cut then at least you know it's going to be a decent one :p

Sound enough advice. Thanks. Although I already feel like a prat with the way I'm going on here :rolleyes:
    Rozie wrote:
    Shaved head though, not only do you have to shave your face, but your head too :| It's not completely low maintainance.

The best thing is to justl et your hair grow and never get it cut :P

Never get it cut? That'd be a laugh. But I'd probably wind up getting it caught in the doors of the Luas and dragged around the city ;)

I've googled some shaved head stuff. It has to be shaved regularly (ideally every day) then there's the risk of ingrown hairs and cuts. On the other hand, washing is much easier and there's no need for styling, combing or hair products.

I think I'll give it a shot. It looks neat so long as skull structure isn't abnormal. My scalp is hardly going to look messy after being under the weight of long hair. I don't think I've ever seen someone with a completely shaved head that I thought it looked bad on either.

Plus if it doesn't work out, I can just wear a hat for a few weeks and then keep it cut to a suitable length. I have the stereotypical Irish pale complexion, so hopefully it shouldn't take too long for my scalp to get a similar colour.

It's not quite the outcome I expected, but I'm happy enough to give it a try. Again, thanks to all the posters for your input. I appreciate the advice, info and suggestions. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Bumping up an old thread I know but I found that this site is a great resource on men's haircuts, all shapes and sizes. You can even get recommendations from a proper barber (not yer Irish type) through their forums.

Advertisement