Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI's SE->XT Rating System

Options
  • 02-07-2005 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭

I've been reading reviews on the X800XL and different reviews say diff things on how they perform to the Pro versions of the X800.

I think this is partly due to the crappy Club3D bringing out budget versions of the whole X800 and X850 series'. Their cards are in an odd order for pricing here on Komplett .

Basically can someone clarify which is better, XL or Pro?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

XL is quite a bit better. It costs less than the pro, but because it uses a newer manufacturing process. Theres no reason to buy an x800pro or an x850pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think the XL has 16 pipeline enabled while the Pro only has 12, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I think the XL has 16 pipeline enabled while the Pro only has 12, no?

Thats correct for the x800pro it only has 12pipes. But the x850pro i dont know i think it might have 16 someone else will have to clear that up. Could look it up on a mag i have but im just to lazy :)

x850pro is 12 pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Can the X850 Pro be flashed to an XT to unlock the extra pipes if an arctic cooler was put on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Just buy an x800XL, slap an arctic on it and clock it to x850XT speeds

i already have an X850 Pro

I'd be surprised if they made it possible to unlock the pipes on x850 pros. Everyone used to do it on x800 pros and id say it cost them a fair bit. By the end of the x800's lifecycle they were cutting them by laser so i'd say they do that on the x850 pros.

Why did u buy an x850 pro? the x800xl wudda been a much better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

4Xcut wrote:
    i already have an X850 Pro

I was replying to the original poster, not you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

I'd be surprised if they made it possible to unlock the pipes on x850 pros. Everyone used to do it on x800 pros and id say it cost them a fair bit. By the end of the x800's lifecycle they were cutting them by laser so i'd say they do that on the x850 pros.

Why did u buy an x850 pro? the x800xl wudda been a much better idea.
    Rivatuner and you can cut off the defective pipes that you unlock so you get near to XT spd

• Advertisement

What did that mean last poster? Pretty incoherent sentence....

In the X800 Pro cards you could use rivatuner to unlock the last 4 pipes (if they worked), because they were only disabled in software. After a while they started slicing them physically. I'd like to see rivatuner pull out a wafer fab and fix laser cut pipelines for you :p

No idea if the x850 pro pipees are physically cut too, but my point was that they probably are to, to stop people getting dirt cheap x850xts. In fact i'm not even sure that the x850 pro and x850xt have the same chips onboard.

Is there any way to re-connect laser cut pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Nope.

Lol, theyve been physically cut with the laser. You could whip out the soldering iron and see if youre skilled enough to work on the 90 nm scale....

Well i don't know if they've been cut or not. The thing is that i don't want to bother getting an arctic cooler if i'm not going to flash it. Could i flash it and see if the pipes are unlocked and if not just flash back on stock cooling or would having the extra 4 pipes produce too much extra heat.

You wouldnt want to flash it and then find that the pipes had been laser cut. Because you might have an awful lot of trouble flashing it back :p

Use rivatuner. Theres *tons* of guides aroundon the net on how to do it, get off your arse and give it a google :p

Also i'm sure u could find out in a few seconds if the pipes are hardware cut or not... Just try google "x850 pro to x850 xt unlock pipes" or something like that

Advertisement