Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-standard Sony audio connections

Options
  • 02-07-2005 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Wonder if anyone can help me with this please. I've had a Sony DAV-S300 home cinema setup for a few years, and am very happy with it. However I'm looking at getting a DVD/HD recorder combo, and would like to get rid of the DAV system. Only prob is the speakers. I've had the lines laid under the carpet a few years ago, and if I get a new player/amp, I don't know if I'll be able to use the speakers, as they have an unusual connection on them. Dunno what the actual name is, but I think they're DAV specific.

I realise thats a bit non-specific in itself, but does anyone know if its possible to use these with any other system?. Would save me some money and a lot of hassle.

Cheers!

AG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Can you describe the "connectors"? Or better still post an image of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

astec123 wrote:
    Can you describe the "connectors"? Or better still post an image of them.

Doh.... of course. It was late when I typed that up....

Piccy attached. The speaker end is fine as I'll use them again, its the other end thats puzzling me. Dunno if I can ust cut off the connectors or what.....

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

seems to be standard speaker cable , just cut off the plug and connect up the + and - correct at the amp end ,

sony and other manufacturers just use this system to stop people shorting the amp with poorly connected cable

When you cut the connectors , twist the bare cable into a braid first like the speaker end , then secure with the nut onthe amp connector

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Thanks very much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

Just noticed on the diagram that there is a impedence of 3ohms ( obscured by the wiring in the picture)

this would cause a problem , you need to match these correctly , this would usually be 4 or 8 , 3 sounds strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The DAV speakers are pretty much only compatible with the systems they came with so you wont be able to use them with another system. Anyway, if your buying a new system with a built in amp it will come with speakers anyway, and if your useing a separate amp then thos speakers wouldnt be anywhere near good enough for it.

The newer Sony DAV systems use speakers with removeable plugs so if you were thinking of going with one of thos you could clip the plugs off your existing cables and slip the new ones on for the new system. The plugs are smaller on the new ones so youll have to swap them.

Advertisement