Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Of Ireland credit card theft.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I've been in a few places where they've stopped using the pin and reverted to signing because its simply too slow.
    Thats very true actually some of the retailer machines seem incredibly slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Solair wrote:
    You can't simply not use chip and pin. It's not even possible! If a card is chip and pin enabled, when you swipe the terminal will prompt you to INSERT CHIP CARD >..

And it's only slower if the customers are particularly stupid!

I mean, you stick your card in.. tap in your pin.. and that's it!

It's certainly no slower than swipe and sign ever was. If the terminal chooses to dial up it's going to take a while regardless of what type of card was used!

if you have an older machine, then u just insert chip card, and dont need to pin anything in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Solair wrote:
    You can't simply not use chip and pin. It's not even possible! If a card is chip and pin enabled, when you swipe the terminal will prompt you to INSERT CHIP CARD >..

How do you explain shops swiping the C&P cards of all those that dont know their pins then?
    Solair wrote:
    And it's only slower if the customers are particularly stupid!
    So its the customers fault?
    Solair wrote:
    It's certainly no slower than swipe and sign ever was.
    Really? In my experience a certain percentage of the chip and pin machines seem to be significantly slower than the older swipe type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Solair wrote:
    You can't simply not use chip and pin. It's not even possible! If a card is chip and pin enabled, when you swipe the terminal will prompt you to INSERT CHIP CARD >..And it's only slower if the customers are particularly stupid! I mean, you stick your card in.. tap in your pin.. and that's it! It's certainly no slower than swipe and sign ever was. If the terminal chooses to dial up it's going to take a while regardless of what type of card was used!

Yes except you're completely wrong about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Having developed chip and pin based software I see that it's like the blind leading the blind in this thread. The chip has instructions embedded for card usage. E.g. I have a chip and pin card that will only accept a signature and does not require a pin (and which I use always because I keep forgetting the pins on the others). Other chipped cards will enforce certain rules on their users. Some systems will refuse to allow non-pin transactions but most have an override facility for people who forget their pin. In this case the retailer accepts liability for any poptential fraud.

Chipped terminals are much slower than previous machines as there is a great deal of multiple communications between the chip, terminal and bank. Chips also are slow to write to as they have the ability to be updated with scripts from the bank during a transaction.

Having probably done more testing with cards than most people have swiped in their entire life, I can confidently say that pin usage is hardly any faster than signature use. Most of this is due to the placement of the pin pad.

There is no real advantage for us poor sucker consumers with chip and pin. Mostly we are protected by fraud - it is the banks who had to guarantee against fraud to ensure the stability of the CC system. Now the retailer has a greater shift of liability but funnily enough, though chip and pin will reduce stolen card fraud - we will not see lower card interest rates!

Also while the cip and determine if a dialup is required for validation, most banks offer a lower card use charge if the retailer choose constant online validation. Very few chipped cards are set for offline validation or use floor limits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The main delay seems to be in the validation of the card initially. Its not the entering of the PIN. I noticed when in europe recently they had wifi keypads to bring to the customers table in restaurants. Seemed to be pretty widespread. A lot of places required a pin and a signature.

I've kept my old non pin debit card, for use in those shops that can't take the pin one. Theres seems to be a lot of them.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Chip and Pin in Duness is excruciatingly slow yet in my butchers its instantaneous and its on a cordless jobbie just like France...

Tesco usually ask for the pin but other times they swipe it (all in the same branch) and their systems are fast. Then again on one occasion yer man insisted I sign the docket even though it wasn't swiped...

Advertisement