Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom/Netopia/Shareaza Question

Options
  • 03-07-2005 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have browsed though the forums but haven't spotted an answer to this:

Just got a new PC (3.6GHz, XP SP2 - have yet to patch this to work around port limits) & Eircom 1MB BB (40 yoyos a month - just missed the 30yoyo offering - ah well! :rolleyes: ).

BB is working fine so far. I'm using the Shareaza P2P client on the desktop to which the Netopia Wireless Router / Modem is connected. Speed seems so-so for downloads.

I also have a Centrino Laptop that I have set up - web browser only - wireless BB working fine on that - so far so rosey!

So here is my query:

If I alter the settings on the Netopia (3347NWG - latest eircom model I think) to allow pinhole access for the port required by shareaza (6346) to speed up downloads, will this affect normal web browsing on the laptop? Do I have to make any changes to the laptop config? Or have I the wrong end of the stick entirely? :o

I'm a newbie at the BB conguration stuff - picking up some important tips on these boards re: wireless security, etc!

So if you have any info, please let me know.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Just to let yez know...

Made the modifications to allow Shareza to run at full speed, and this had no noticeable effect on laptop browsing performance.

Running PeerGuardian as well - all fine!

I hope this helps anyone else in that position.

;)

Advertisement