Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking spot

• 03-07-2005 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Any good places around the city to go drinking in?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Up my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Cork is pretty dire alright :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

nevisgod wrote:
    Any good places around the city to go drinking in?

What kind of place do you normally like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,793 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

for a bit of a change, if you wanted it, would recommend a pint in the High Bee on oliver plunkett st, have to keep an eye out for it, its upstairs just across from clancy's.

Depends on what type of place you like though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

i like tom barrys on barrack st :)

• Advertisement

my fav spots in total i guess would be;

Tom barry's
    Nancy Spains
    The Gateway
    Bróg
    Quad
    High Bee
    Mutton Lane
    Fred Zeppelins
    Fionnbara's
    The Franciscan Well

manys the good night have had in each of those places!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nevisgod

~Rebel~ wrote:
    my fav spots in total i guess would be;

Tom barry's
    Nancy Spains
    The Gateway
    Bróg
    Quad
    High Bee
    Mutton Lane
    Fred Zeppelins
    Fionnbara's
    The Franciscan Well

manys the good night have had in each of those places!

no no i mean places to go knacker drinking in. pubs too expensive. (im not a chav)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fionn_McCool

nevisgod wrote:
    no no i mean places to go knacker drinking in. pubs too expensive. (im not a chav)

:D:D:D:D lol lol lol :p:p:p

this is funny, not that you knacker drink, as i did this in my time also, but that you came on an internet forum and asked for good spots.

sorry, can't help you out really as i never went knacker drinking in cork :p

hold on, i think i know i few deceant places, just outside any police station in cork, right under their noses, the very last place they will look :D:D:p

nevisgod wrote:
    No you're not, because chav is a british word popularised by... overpaid chavs. You're a wacker. Denying you're a chav is the second sign of wackerdom. Bushing is the first.

adam /former wacker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Down by the weir in the Lee fields is always a good spot. Friend of mine also swears by the region at the back of Dominos, Washington Street.

Favourite story of his goes as follows. One night, him and a few friends were gatting at the back of Dominos, when a middle-aged man well-dressed in a suit and tranch coat wanders up. He pulls a can from the inside pocket of his coat, pops it, and starts drinking with the. Doesn't say much throughout other than pleasantries, and when finished, says "Good drinking with you lads" and walks off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Bog swings down at the estuary access via lane off well road.
    The Japanese gardens
    The blackrock quarry
    by churchfield pool in the parklands
    Ballinlough community centre (community centres in general)
    Near ex jurys on washington street

rebel has v. good list of pubs - cork has best pubs in world if u cant find somewhere u like here u wont find it anywhere, u have a problem

Balmed Out wrote:
    Bog swings down at the estuary access via lane off well road.
    Heh, that's where I used to go bushin. Happy days!

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

~Rebel~ wrote:
    The Gateway

Is The Gateway the oldest pub in cork city?

I sincerely doubt it, where did you hear that? I've seen the Oval suggested as such - it was the last brewery-owned pub in Cork, but that's all I actually know about it - and just now on Google the Spailpín, but never the Gateway.

One of the funniest things I've seen is one of those brown signs pointing to that pub behind (and part of) the Queen's Old Castle, calling it a Historic Pub. Except it was fake, they made it themselves.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

A Boards Bushing Bash I says :D
    Alas I don't like beer or what I have tasted so far so I will bring a soda pop.

Femmy wrote:
    Is The Gateway the oldest pub in cork city?

actually yeah, i read recently that it is! Its from the 1600's! cant remember the year exactly but its on a plaque on the wall. mighty impressive and only a stones throw from my doorstep (top of barrack st). nice pub too.

yeah i know one of the guys thats leasing it (the gateway)at the moment, he claims its the oldest in cork, never been in there myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The Gateway is Corks oldest pub followed by Mutton Lane oval (was) up there too. The Gateway can also lay a claim to being Irelands oldest pub if you insist on the pub being a pub continuously, the oldest pub in ireland was a shop or something for a little while

interesting.............

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's a field/park at the top of Patrick's hill that's supposed to be good for drinking in (as in, no hassle). On a nice day it's a great place to go and chill, nice views etc. Not sure if it'd be any good in the evenings though...

• Advertisement

oh i know it! and i saw too girls in bikinis there last weekend....for all the guys that might be interested...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Femmy wrote:
    oh i know it! and i saw too girls in bikinis there last weekend....for all the guys that might be interested...

Wouldn't that be a different kind of bushin', though?

Ok, ok, I'll get my coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Fysh wrote:
    There's a field/park at the top of Patrick's hill that's supposed to be good for drinking in (as in, no hassle). On a nice day it's a great place to go and chill, nice views etc. Not sure if it'd be any good in the evenings though...

Is that not illegal?

Very probably. I'm just pointing out that a few people I know who live nearby go there and drink occasionally and say they never have hassle from anyone for doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, well, what would Judge Dredd say to that? Huh?

simu wrote:
    Yeah, well, what would Judge Dredd say to that? Huh?

I, uh, I....oh, I don't know. Get sylvester stallone to put that helmet on again and maybe I'll hazard a guess. Luckily for public drinkers, the gardai aren't quite as fascistic as Dredd...

Sly as Joe Dredd was the worst example of casting I ever came across. Arnie is Dredd, period. Jesus, Sly doesn't even have a chin; Joe has two of 'em!

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    Sly as Joe Dredd was the worst example of casting I ever came across. Arnie is Dredd, period. Jesus, Sly doesn't even have a chin; Joe has two of 'em!

adam

...which somehow conspires to remind me of that bit in Last Action Hero where Arnie and the kid go to the video store and see the signs for Sly Stallone in Terminator 2. :D

Advertisement