Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Login on the home page or a login page please..?

• 18-07-2001 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Can we get a login section on the home page or a page just for logging in and creating the cookie please? As it stands at the moment, I have to post something before I can do any actions that would require you to be logged in first like for example editing/deleting posts (moderating, basically), setting Karma or looking at Karma histories.

Bard
    I've got a plan... and it's as HOT... AS MY PANTS!!!" - Lord Flashheart.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I heartily endorse this product or service!

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I also endorse. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Oh God yes. I was actually going to post asking for this two days ago but Bard used his mindmagic on me to make me forget and to steal my ideas so that everyone would laugh at me and thing that he's great...

*ahem*

I mean, I agree. smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I would support such a function

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

yup

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Eh?
    /me is confused...

You say:
    "As it stands at the moment, I have to post something before I can do any actions that would require you to be logged in first like for example editing/deleting posts (moderating, basically)"

So you need to log in before doing something that needs you to login?

Ok, nope... I'm just not getting this... can someone explain?

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    So you need to log in before doing something that needs you to login?
    </font>

I thought it was clear... *humphhh*... frown.gif

okay... I need to LOG IN before I can do something that needs me to BE LOGGED IN. - That's perfectly natural, of course...

The thing is that the only way to LOG IN at present is to make a posting or reply.

The question is - Can we please have a login form added somewhere so that we don't have to make a posting to be logged in?

Does that clarify it?

--

Can't rely on cookies... Not all browsers keep the cookies stored and remember the usernames and passwords properly (Opera for example). Plus, Cookies can easily be turned off or deleted.

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Don't you have to supply your password every time you do something, such as editing posts etc.
    A Login would be nice tho.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Enygma:
    Don't you have to supply your password every time you do something, such as editing posts etc.
    A Login would be nice tho.
    </font>

Not for everything. - not for viewing or modifying someone's karma, for example. Also, it would mean you'd show up in "Who's Online" as your own username and not as a guest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

smile.gif **Waves his hands in support**

Log-in User ID and password in a sidebar on the first page... like in msn.com or most other sites with large member bases the world over...

Perhaps every member could have a small statistical orientated page ofter the log-in tell them who replied to what(similar to email notification but with out the LARGE volume that most active posts would recieve)

note about KARMA.... It shouldn't be BOARDS.ie wide like it currently is
    It should just be limited to the Individual posts u make smile.gif
    Example: u have a negative angry attacking post(usually waranting bad Karma) so u get teh bad karma but it only is for that particual msg

"Information is Ammunition"
    Choas Engine
    Email: choas@netshop.ie

• Advertisement

vbb .... where can I see examples off that?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

can we get a wip version as your putting it in, similar to http://www.boards.ie/ikonboard ???

i invented '.com'

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    On another point you will all be glad to hear we are thinking of moving to vbb </font>
    Excellent! P45.net moved over to it a few weeks ago and it's very nice.

hmph... well I thought it was a good idea...

not everyone uses IE to view boards.ie y'know...

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

bard I d/led opera today not have bad I have to say, have to get rid of some stuff on my c:\ before I can install the java runtime but not a bad browser at all certainly better than anything netscape have been offering lately.

Hands up anyone else who uses Opera!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amp:

</font>

This isn't an IE only world, and web sites should be written to work well across the board. Opera's not the whole point though - a login form could also be beneficial to those who use Ad/Cookie killer or other security applications - or who delete temporary internet files, including cookies - or to those who access boards.ie in an Internet café.

Besides - cookies expire, and when that happens it's awkward to have to create a new post just to be logged on.

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 19-07-2001).]

I just had a wee mess about to see what was going on... for some reason cookies for me were expiring at the end of the browser session.. so if I replied to a topic this morning, closed the browser and then tried to say check karma or whatever later on, I'd need to log in again... so I went in to internet options and set it to prompt for cookies.. then used the preferences link above to delete cookies and reset the preferences to store a one year cookie.... phew... and I could see that it prompted me to accept a cookie that expires in a years time, rather than the "end of session" one I was getting earlier.
    ...or something™

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amp:

</font>

Me!! I quite enjoy "La fleur que tu m'avais jetée" as sung most wonderfully by Pavarotti biggrin.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Licksy20:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/ ?</font>

Uggghhh, waaaaaay to blue - it looks like the new Hotmail

[/me gets sick]

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

ssshhhhhh!!! xnay on the karmanay

i like the idea. a small form on the main page could do it.

i invented '.com'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ai, i had to post something today before i could reopen a thread.
    took me about 5 minutes to figure that one out.
    am not too bright today.. frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Won't logins present a barrier to newbies wanting to have a look around?
    We need a cookie monster that lives in the browser for longer than one session.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Possibly UBB6 has this feature built-in?
    Example: http://ubbforums.infopop.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
    You get a wee message on the home page "» You are not logged in. Login or Register"

Are there still other issues with version 6 that means it's not the right version to use yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Longfield

You shouldn't have to log on, just like now. I don't see why there still wouldn't be the concept of a guest. Just fir browsing around. Bard is suggesting a convenient login for people who want to set their cookie but don't want to have to post to do it.

K

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Weird, I dont experience this problem at all...

I think you might need to review your profile and see if you let it cookie your login...

This is very strange.

On another point you will all be glad to hear we are thinking of moving to vbb but it will take a while because:

1. Cloud is EXTREMELY busy atm.
    2. It is a big move.
    3. It may mean moving to Unix which means switching servers.

The good news is that if we DO do this... you wont notice much interruption as apparently the move over is pretty easy.

I have to talk to all the admins about this first too. It would be about 2 months from now if it happens...

DeV.

dont know if anyones interested anymore, but there a login hack on ubbdev.com

i invented '.com'

• Advertisement
Advertisement