Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT upload speed hitting 25kb/s?

• 03-07-2005 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I've uploaded a couple of large text files to a web server in the UK just now and cute FTP said the upload speed was over 25kb/sec. I thought maybe it was a mistake in cute, but a 5 meg file in 3 minutes is in or around 25kb/s right?

I just tried uploading the same file to a host.ie server and got around 14kb/s. Very odd. Anyone else experienced anything like this - upload speed exceeding the 12kb/s limit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭saado

From what i know, text files can cause confusion with transfer rates(i.e the rate shown is faster than the actual rate), don't know the specifics, but that's what it looks like to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭paulj13

Ya i'm running at 25kb/s at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

text files are compressible, and so can give faster perceived upload rates. Try uploading a zip or mp3 file and see if it goes at the same speed. If it does, you've got yourself a speed upgrade. Also, check the speed settings in your modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Yeah an MP3 is uploading at 12kb/s. Must be the fact it was a text file, good spot.

Oh well, wishful thinking that the upload speed had been bumped up :(

Advertisement