Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of repeating.....

• 03-07-2005 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Anyone else?

I know you should wait til you get the results and review your options but I`m already leaning towards repeating :o .

If I do repeat(which is most likely) I will be changing a subject. I did economics and I`m not too fond of it and would like t switch to accounting. The main thing I want to know is, is it harder to do well in economics or accounting. I know in economics it has to be word perfect if you want to do well, is it similar for accounting?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Never. Not a chance in hell. My 3rd choice is low enough that I'm 100% confident of getting it (I cleared last year's points requirement by about 180 in the mocks) so even if I miss my first two, I'd take that rather than repeat.

In Accounting, your theory doesn't need to be word-perfect as long as it's accurate and the accounts themselves are marked based on individual figures rather than overall result - ie, if you mess up one figure you'll get marks for all the figures you got right rather than losing marks because the overall balances don't match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

well if u asked me this question before the leaving and during 6th yr i wuda said ya i wud defo repeat as im still quite young...but now im like god no-al that crap again and the hype surrounding it and for what....!i cant wait to go to college!! il defo get my third choice but hoping for my 2nd choice..even if i dont get 2nd choice(which i prob wont coz i say il miss out by 10points) il settle for my 3rd..

Right, first of all let me say you're not alone. In fact, you are feeling right now what a huge amount of students feel. I'm not only talking about the LC, I'm talking about any exam you will do from now on. There will always be something at the back of your head which pushes you, yet questions is there a possibility that you could do better. To put it into perspective, I'm currently awaiting my results which come out tomorrow, and I'm ****ting it. I've thought about repeating the year, and yeah so have others from my year. It's natural.

But if I have to make that decision, it won't be for another year. You also have lots of time to make a decision about this, you know this yourself. You've completed a large set of exams, congrats - but now enjoy the summer. Start mulling over this from August onwards when you get your results. If you want to repeat, and believe you will work and do better then you will get in your results, then do it. It's only one year in your life!

But we're all human, I'd say that a huge majority do think along these lines. Just relax right now, and go out and enjoy yourself like I said. :) Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

The main thing I want to know is, is it harder to do well in economics or accounting. I know in economics it has to be word perfect if you want to do well, is it similar for accounting?.

I'd recommend them both. With both of them a right answer is a right answer. It is not subjective like English for example. Accounting is tough to get fully right but you can get it fully right (unlike English!). All you need is to constantly do questions and learn the theory (after this years lame paper anyway). Economics is easy once you find a teacher that suits you and can show you the proper exam technique. So I’d say you should give it another shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Accounting is not the easiest option in the world to do in one year. If you didn't do business at JC i'd say forget it. Like it was said already, IF you understand it you can get really good marks, but if you don't understand it you will do poorly, even though you get some marks for just writing the figures. I think it's too much to do in one year as well as studying all the other subjects too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 johnjo76

A good few people in my economics class did both accounting and economics and ALL of them say economics is FAR,FAR easier. You really have to have an accounting mind to get into it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

economics is a dos.. A in the pre without opening a page even the nite before..

seriously, my friends who do both accounting and economics say the latter is the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

I know of a few people that are going to repeat next year, one who is going for medicine and the other veterinary.

I am fascinated, what subjects are you going to do? This year's repeaters don't have it easy as:
    English is changing (naturally),
    Irish is changing (about time),
    Geo. & His. are changing,
    Economic History is going to disappear,
    lots of people don't like Maths,
    Greek and Latin learner's prescribed text changes annually (naturally),
    Chemistry and Biology have 1 & 2 past papers respectively (little help there),
    The French paper was awkward this year (what's in store for next year??),

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

If you want to switch to an easier subject I strongly recommend doing Classical Studies if that option is available to you. I've always found it to be an interesting and enjoyable subject which is also piss easy to learn and do well in. If you're in anyway interested in history you'd love it and those of you that already do history would find it a walk in the park compared to the history paper (which I know is changed for next year), 2 pages an essay, 6 essays and then a page on architecture such an easy subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I repeated my leaving and believe me its no biggy, all that crap?- its nothing the second time round, the only advice i could give is drop to six subjects and do something like classical studies or ag-ec and repeat somewher else, i did mine in the coll of comm here in cork and it was great, repeating in a normal school means your going into a class where half the years work is covered in fifh year and you'll miss out on the important stuff, doin it in a repeat school means the whole course will be covered in one year. and good luck with it, it mighten be that bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

well for the sake of 5 weeks of working hard before the leaving cert, yac ud save urself a repeat...

my friend may have to repeat and thats whats annoyin him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I missed my first choice, thought about repeating, but tbh, socially my life turned out much better going to college and Im really interested in my second choice even though I didnt think much about it when I put it down.

As for accounting. Couldnt stick it, it will require practice, hours of practice, EVERY NIGHT. I find theory subjects easy, but accounting is too boreing for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Noooo, I'll never repeat. If I fail everything, I'll get an apprenticeship or something, lol.. There's no way I'd go through that again, it was such a horrible year(well, in school it was the best, but outside school, it was just study study study, be depressed that im not studying, study study study)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I would repeat, if it meant I could end up studying what I wanted it'd be worth it. However it's not something i'd like to do, ever since the end of 6th year i've been ready to move on to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

The subjects I`ve done are:

English
    Classical Studies
    Geography
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Economics, all honours

Maths I did last year as I repeated 5th year(no snide remarks!).It was not an academic need to repeat 5th year, rather my f*cking idiot of a mother who insisted on it for her own twisted reasons*deep breath*.

I did Business studies for the JC and quite enjoyed the accounting side of it. Economics to do well in the actual exam you have to be very specific and exact,I don`t despise the subject but I am not exactly enthralled with it.

dango, whats changing in English?(bit slow as I`m tired), Hamlet will be on for 2006 as it was Macbeth in 2004.The comparative changes every year I think.

Cheers all! ;) .

Ah hamlet. Won't you ever make up your mind?

Oh wait, he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

dango, whats changing in English?(bit slow as I`m tired), Hamlet will be on for 2006 as it was Macbeth in 2004.The comparative changes every year I think.

The poets will change, too, won't they? I did Wuthering Heights for my single text, I dunno if that'll be on next year either.. Plus, this new stuff, you'll have a year to learn it instead of 2(not that I learned much in 5th year!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

My friend has already gone to the Institute today for an interview to repeat. (Wasn't in the 'tute before..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Macka wrote:
    If you want to switch to an easier subject I strongly recommend doing Classical Studies if that option is available to you. I've always found it to be an interesting and enjoyable subject which is also piss easy to learn and do well in. If you're in anyway interested in history you'd love it and those of you that already do history would find it a walk in the park compared to the history paper (which I know is changed for next year), 2 pages an essay, 6 essays and then a page on architecture such an easy subject.

Hmmm i wouldn't agree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

I don't agree either. It's only an easier subject if you have a really good teacher, which can be hard to find. Also the marking scheme is very vague and so can be quite hard to hone in on. Although I think they are trying to change that. One year they even let college students correct them...without a marking scheme!

Also depends on the modules you chose. You chose 4 topic of 10, at least I think it's 10. The war is very easy to learn, and factual, but things like the plays are all about interpretation and that's where the vague marking scheme is hard to master.

And lastly, my teacher was told at the teachers conference that they're making it harder and harder, as because theres so little teachers and correctors for it, they're going to phase it out if they can. It's definately not going to be an easy a from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Myth wrote:
    Ah hamlet. Won't you ever make up your mind?

Oh wait, he did.

lol :)

I really enjoyed Classical Studies.It is not so much what you know but how fluently you express if on paper.In this respect it is a lot like English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jaspersmiley

It takes guts to repeat but it would definately be worth it if you got what you wanted at the end of it.
    I didnt get the points I needed for my first choice and foolishly accepted my fifth... went onto college, hated the course, struggled through it, graduated, got a job... and now two years into working Im considering going back next year to repeat my leaving again to get what I want.
    Been looking at the science subjects... they do seem watered down a lot in comparrison to what they were when I did them...
    If I repeat Ill be doing, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, French, Geography and Applied Maths. Havent done Physics or Applied Maths before but looking at smaple exam papers... there does seem to be a certain degree of overlap between the two and Honours Maths!
    Its going to be tough cos I thought I was finally finished with exams and study... but my advice to anyone would be to repeat.... its your life and you have to think about your career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Totally agree with you Jasper, repeating is really worth it, and the leaving is a lot easier second time round. Best of luck when you go back!

Advertisement