Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to? - commercial/industrial/lock-up type property

Options
  • 03-07-2005 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi All,

Interested in some kind of commercial/industrial/lock-up/retail type property in the Dublin area, with a view to setting up a studio/rehearsal space .

Anyone got any experience with this - some of the most of the reasonably priced places I've come across on the web are in industrial estates. That'd be a problem for me because I'm assuming theres restricted access outside business hours. Noise would probably be an issue within business hours too.

Ideally I suppose what I'm looking for is a lock-up type place 100-150m2.

cheers,

guv

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I don't want to rain on your parade or anything as I was interested in doing something similar. Basically I see a few major problems. Sound and access as mentioned are a problem in industrial parks. Sound is the big problem no mater where after that it has to be cost of rent, insurance and services. You basically will be paying rent for something you won't be using enough. I think somebody suggested before that a group of musicians renting one place is the best bet.
    How much does it cost to rent a rehersal studio there days? Is it still really difficult to get the time slot you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

not sure what the going rates are at the moment - up until recently I've had access to a mates lock-up (basically 3 larges garages in a complex of about 15 knocked together near harolds cross). The place was ideal - interior done up to a high standard etc - and is exactly what I'm looking for!

I've been spoiled I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Was up near airside today and there is a guy looking to rent out a work shop just off the swords road sign at the entrance just after the grave stone selling house head towards swords before airside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

Small enough requirement at 150 sq m you should be paying about 15k a year in any location inside the M50 or about 10 euro per square foot. Noise and access shouldn't be a problem if you get an industrial unit; where noise may be a problem is if the unit is designated 'storage' as opposed to industrial, access also shouldn't be a problem but bear in mind that you would be liable for an annual service charge in any estate above a certain size to cover costs like road maintenance and security. You would also be locked in to a lease of at least 3 to 4 years if not longer, which as a band is probably a little unrealistic.

My advice would be to look outside the M50 and talk to a few local auctioneers in an area that suits, you could very well find something on a short-term basis 6-12 mths that is being lined up for redevelopment at the right price on a short term basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

thanks for the info folks - been on to a few auctioneers but nothing suitable as yet - definitely looking for something within the M50.

Didn't realise we could be looking at 15k per year - seems a little expensive for 150m2 ish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement