Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone service provider complaint - any advice?

Options
  • 03-07-2005 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Last November, I decided to change telephone service provider following a house call from one of their salesmen assuring me of cheaper telephone calls and a better service than Eircom.

Shortly after connection, I decided to connect to this company's internet service provider Flat Rate. Later that November, I phoned the internet service provider of that telephone company, and a female employee informed me I would receive a CD-ROM in the post 10 working days later which I would insert into my computer and follow a set of instructions – she told me this procedure would activate the service, so I wouldn’t be charged until I carried out these instructions. In January, I still had not received this CD-ROM in the post so I phoned the internet service provider again. A male employee informed me there was a huge backlog of CD-ROMs to post out, but I would receive one “soon”. I then informed this employee I had changed my mind and would use an Internet phone no. instead. He said this was OK and he’d cancel my order! I believed this matter was closed, and received no correspondence on this matter.

In the meantime, I had a couple of minor issues with the telephone service provider. I was once left without a phone for a whopping 5 days when there was a fault on the line. And the bills were exactly the same as Eircom. So, I decided to return to Eircom.

In May, I received my final bill from the other telephone service provider, and could not believe what I was reading! I was charged for Eircom Internet Flat Rate 25, which I had cancelled. Eircom acknowledge this, and have sent this company a letter on this matter. But the worst shock was the charges for this company's Internet Flat Rate since Nov (a whopping 6 month's charges!), a service I believed had never been activated in the first place!!

I have made a number of calls to the company on this matter. Apparently they posted me a letter on March 1st (I never received it) informing me the service was activated. It seems I didn’t need this elusive CD-ROM to activate it after all, unlike what I was told by these internet service provider employees! I also wasn’t told also I should have cancelled my request for Internet Flat Rate in writing! Eventually, I was informed I would be credited the charges imposed from Nov. 20th – Mar. 1st, as that was the date this phantom letter was posted out to me. To date,I haven't been credited of those charges, or the Eircom Internet Flat Rate 25 charges - this company's employees probably hasn't mastered the art of opening letters yet, as well as posting them!

I’m appalled by the customer service this company provides. The staff appears to be unknowledgeable, don’t communicate with each other, don’t listen to or carry out their customer’s wishes. I’m upset and horrified that I was lied to by the internet service provider staff, and that it wasn’t noticed that I wasn’t using this Flat Rate after it being activated, yet continuing to use the Internet phone No. It would have been cheaper and more effective had they phoned me rather than posted me this “letter” to inform me this service had been activated.

As telephoning did not appear to have any effect, I have written a letter to this company, and sent an e-mail, but they're not responding to either. I'm keeping an eye on my bill total on this company's website, and I still haven't been credited of any of those charges. I received a letter informing me my account is overdue, but I'm refusing to pay a penny until those charges have been cleared.

Can anybody advise me? This is driving me up the wall, as I'm a person who ALWAYS pays their bills on time so I feel I'm living like a thief at the moment. Also, even though this company reassures me they've definitely cancelled the Internet Flat Rate, I don't trust them and I'm afraid they're still charging me, despite not using the service. It's put me right off internetting!

Comments

Advertisement