Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eucalyptus Trees

Options
  • 03-07-2005 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Can anyone help on care of Eucalypus trees to stake or not to stake them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Be warned, they grow very big very quick. and because of their native arid enviroment grow hugely wide root systems.

You can stake if you want but as I say. they grow VERY quick, so watch for banding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddyjoe18

Thanks for reply,I'm a learner at this what do you mean by banding etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

aren't they poisionous too

hope not..............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

well unless you eat them there's no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

well unless you eat them there's no problem.

lol exactly ;)

Banding is when the band tying the tree to the stake isnt loose enuf to accomodate the growing / swelling trunk, should be ok if you check it every 3 months tho :)

TBH a eucalyptus isnt a tree id recommend to a beginner, somthing more along the lines of a beech or even an apple tree may be easier.

b

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Don't know if this is true, but I was told that if you grow them at or near walls the root system can damage/undermine the wall foundation.

But, maybe that applies to any tree.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They suck up every last drop of moisture in the soil in their immediate vicinity too, so nothing grows near to them. They smell nice though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Lovely trees too look at and also a lovely scent on long summer evenings.

Its definatly true about the root systems too, so try not to plant them near any structures you may have.

Keep the lower branches cut off if you have small children as the scent from the tree can sometimes encourage a child to eat the leaves.

Also, be careful where you plant the tree as they get VERY big. We had to cut down the one in our garden last summer as it was over-shadowing our garden and three of our neighbours. (One of my dads friends cut it down but did it wrong and the tree came down through about 4 garden fences - crushed the whole lot - and barely missed our greenhouse).

Even if you do have to cut the tree down arain it will sprout from the stump fairly fast again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all for comments and advice, have made first mistake by planting them
    3 feet away from garden wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

c - 13 wrote:
    Even if you do have to cut the tree down arain it will sprout from the stump fairly fast again.
    My mam has actually coppiced them - when they start to get too big she just hacks them down and off they go again. No idea on the root system, but it was never let get too big....

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wicklah

Recently had one taken down in my garden, was originally planted (not by me) about 12ft from house (2 ft from public pavement), dunno when but in the last 3 years it grew too big, was higher than house.

Did a job on my garden this time last year so I had to dig out soil and the roots stretched around the side of the house about 20ft to separating wall between myself and neighbour, I cut it there, but from the size of the root I'd imagine there was a couple of feet left to go. I can only presume that they are going under the house too. Plan to put an extension where the stump is so I'll be pulling the whole thing up next year.

Just hope it doesn't do any damage.

Wicklah

Thanks, might have to reconsider..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

Alun wrote:
    They suck up every last drop of moisture in the soil in their immediate vicinity too, so nothing grows near to them. They smell nice though :)

thats not true, in my mums she has nearly a 60 year old approx 40-50 foot high (by sight as i'm not climing up it with ameasuring tape!! :p ) Eucalypus tree in her back garden and their is no real drying of the soil...theres lots of plants and other trees/shrubs going in the immeadiate vicinity..

and in storms the large branches will sway about alarminly :eek: but wont break/fall down

edit> also it is 2 foot from a garden wall and wall still stands!!!

Advertisement