Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL & Smart to upgrade too 512kbps upload

• 03-07-2005 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

i wonder if eircon will follow suit as usuall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

any sources on that one?
    would be great to finally have 512k upload :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

i am hesitant to believe this.... anyone have confirmation?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭8gbMadness

i just saw it on another message board, if it is true........ bye bye eircom :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

8gbMadness wrote:
    i just saw it on another message board, if it is true........ bye bye eircom :)

Hmm you read it on a message board with no solid sources to back it up, IT MUST BE 100% TRUE!

In fairness for home packages you can't justify 512K for uploads as its a total waste....256K is ok, for business packages however 512K+ is very much needed.

After all you get what you pay for ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

The only way BT could provide a higher upload than eircom would be through one of its 40 LLU enabled exchanges.

It is possible that business customers might get such a 512k upload...but at best we would get 256k for home users.

BTW.
    Am I the only one who had a look at government proposals put to eircom last march with a 5Mbit connection proposed for 2006 and 10Mbit by 2008???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Lol this is utter waffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

IOL = resold eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Oh...would people please stop calling what is now BT Ireland Broadband...IOL Broadband and EsatBT Broadband as it could be extremely confuseing for people!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

juliuspret wrote:
    Oh...would people please stop calling what is now BT Ireland Broadband...IOL Broadband and EsatBT Broadband as it could be extremely confuseing for people!!!

well in fairness if you goto iol.ie its called Ireland On-Line so thats not incorrect, as for saying EsatBT it takes awhile for people to use the new name.
    Same went for Eircom when it changed from Telecom Eireann :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sounds like complete crap to me.

To tyhe OP, do you have an links to beck this up? evenm one to wherever the original thread is?

BT are re-selling eircom's product, so it's not going to happen unless eircom change their product, which I don't see there being any sign of just yet.

As for the LLU thing, I live a couple of hundred yards from BT's head office and am supposed to be within one of these LLU exchanges, and it just hasn't happened yet.

I've been on to BT business about switching to one of their LLU business packages, and because eircom yet again are dragging their feet with the whole thing I can't.

and in any case even the LLU that BT are selling is still only 1mbps/256kbps or 2mbps/256kbps, not 512kbps up.

we really could do with some sort of proof of this, before the story grows legs and starts running.

either that or leak it to the press so they run a story on it, and force tehm into actually doing it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

not too sure if its entirely false, since smarts ads used to state '4 times faster' as you know, so it needed upgrading, but hey , what did i hear now on the radio 'twice as fast as other broadband'

going to be looking for some clarification on this, and due to the dreadful pace of the roleout and the need for a new number, it really is the only thing smart can do to ensure they get all the customers they can.

Despite exchanges not being full with smart's test, but 8 or 6 mbit down tests for others looks good, as far as technology goes, and if their 'no conventional contention' theory holds up, then everything seems to back up the possibility of a reliable 2MBit + service.

IBB will take a massive hit particularly if the upload gets increased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

has anyone actually gotten Smart Broadband yet?? I signed up in February as we are in Dublin city Center and they are still unable to provide due "To a legal battle with Eircom!!!" I keep being told this and they even rang me once to advise of same.... so anyone gotten it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

about 6 or more people have posted here that they have been conencted, and most get at least 230kbytes/sec download and one particular user gets this on a line which eircom said 'cannot support broadband' . Another user was put on a trial run of alternative exchange settings, and gets a nice 6Mbit download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

So theres no proof of this anywhere?
    Any newspapers? online reports? anything except a 12 yr old kid messing with yer heads?

Total BS.. tbh.
    IOL resell Eircom so if it went to 512 then Eircom would announce it first.
    And 512 is way off 256 sounds more plausable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement