Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRL: 1X08 - "Confidence Man" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

• 04-07-2005 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "CONFIDENCE MAN" -

Episode Title: "Confidence Man"
    Airdate: July 4th 2005

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

Shannon's inhaler runs out and Boone believes Sawyer has the remaining three in his stash. When Sawyer refuses to give them up, Jack and Sayid resort to torturing Sawyer until he agrees to reveal the location of the inhalers. In flashback we hear Sawyer's story and find he is not who he says he is.

Next New Episode: 1X09 - Solitary - 11th July 2005

What did you think of "Confidence Man"? 38 votes

Excellent!
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    39% 15 votes
    Average
    36% 14 votes
    Poor
    18% 7 votes
    Terrible!
    5% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Very good episode. Locke is becoming manipulative. Sawyer back story was very good. Finally someone decides to walk around the entire island.

Am I right in saying that there's only about 5 back stories left?:
    Boone & Shannon
    Sayid
    Claire
    Michael & Walt
    Hurley

I'm looking forward to Hurley and Claire's stories - so far they're just fat bloke and pregnant girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Yes this was a great episode.

and remember there is not just one set of flashbacks for a character...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

OFDM wrote:
    I'm looking forward to Hurley and Claire's stories - so far they're just fat bloke and pregnant girl.
    As tvnutz said.. there are more than one backstory for each person.

You won't have to wait too long for Claire's backstory... but Hurley's is a bit of a wait (but worth it!)! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I've been biting my tongue on the thread for the last episode where someone said something along the lines of "If Sawyer hit Sayid, how could he set off the flair"..

I couldn't remember was it in Confidence Man when Locke said "Haven't you ever seen the movies Jack, slow burning fuses" etc. etc. (paraphrasing of course)

If it wasn't in Confidence Man please don't read that previous sentence :)

Oh by the way the scene where Jack pulls the knife out of Sawyers arm and the artery gushes blood is one of the only scenes in a movie/tv show to have made me wince (I've become desensitised to violence...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I cant wait to see the next few episodes. However being in France will mess up that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

steveland? wrote:
    I've been biting my tongue on the thread for the last episode where someone said something along the lines of "If Sawyer hit Sayid, how could he set off the flair"..

I think that was me steveland? What I said was "Sure who set off the rocket that sawyer had then"
    steveland? wrote:
    I couldn't remember was it in Confidence Man when Locke said "Haven't you ever seen the movies Jack, slow burning fuses" etc. etc. (paraphrasing of course)

Acutally cant remember Locke saying that.Hmmm will have to recap myself.Thanks for pointing that out.

I think the exact quote was "Anyone who watches films knows how to rig a short burning fuse" and then something about leaving a cigarette to burn

I haven't watched Lost in a while cos when I saw them originally I watched them many.. many times and I think I overdosed...

But then again I might just be going mad...

Edit: excellent... I'm not going mad... thank christ for internet transcripts:
    SAYID: No, he has an alibi. Just before I was struck, he set off a bottle
    rocket, a signal we'd worked out two kilometers away. He couldn't have had the
    time to go from --

LOCKE: (interrupts cautiously) Unless he found a way to time-delay the fuse on
    his rocket.

(Sayid thinks about it for a beat, then stands up again.)

SAYID: How could he possibly have --

LOCKE: (interrupts) Anyone who watches television knows how to improvise a
    slow fuse. (he suggests) Use a cigarette.

You know i think some trolls just come on and vote "poor" for the hell of it,surely if you are not even into the show you dont just vote poor,average maybe,but this was a very well done episode.

Yeah I remember now,especially when you quoted the Cigarette part.

tvnutz wrote:
    You know i think some trolls just come on and vote "poor" for the hell of it,surely if you are not even into the show you dont just vote poor,average maybe,but this was a very well done episode.
    [rant]
    Of course there are... might make the poll public in the future. That way.. we can see if there is someone intentionally voting 'Poor' / 'Terrible' week after week.

Not that there's anything wrong in having an opinion that an episode was poor... but if the show is continuing to not meet your expectations week after week, then why are you compelled to watch it? Switch off your TV and stop watching it!
    [/rant]

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:
    [rant]
    Of course there are... might make the poll public in the future. That way.. we can see if there is someone intentionally voting 'Poor' / 'Terrible' week after week.

Not that there's anything wrong in having an opinion that an episode was poor... but if the show is continuing to not meet your expectations week after week, then why are you compelled to watch it? Switch off your TV and stop watching it!
    [/rant]
    Public vote is a good idea.

OFDM wrote:
    Public vote is a good idea.
    Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I really enjoyed "Confidence Man" last night.

But it never explained who actually did hit Sayid over the head. All we heard was Locke sayin "Anyone who watches television knows how to improvise a slow fuse" putting the blame on Sawyer, but for me it was Locke, definately. He put the question forward about who benefitted most from the island and the answer is Locke.

Ps I think Hurley is a legend and I love his one liners like last nite when Charlie was looking for the peanut butter "for your information I've already dropped a belt notch"

yom 1 wrote:
    But it never explained who actually did hit Sayid over the head.
    This will be explained in due time.... but expect a good wait! ;)

basquille wrote:
    [rant]

[/rant]

Ye an opinion is fine...but as you said someone might be just doing it week after week because they dont liek the show. they should stop watching if that is the case,but honestly,i think it was someone who didnt liek the first 3 eps,has already stopped watching,and just hits "poor" to be annoying. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Just out of curiosity not trying to ruin the rest of the season but does Sayid come back in the near future?

colin300 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity not trying to ruin the rest of the season but does Sayid come back in the near future?
    If you haven't "got" this by now I'd reckon you should just keep watching... things in Lost tend to take a long time to get explained or to happen, but when they do...

I actually like this episode when Sawyer had his flashbacks and he wasnt the hard man he is making out to be...Id go as far to say Sawyer and Hurley are my favorites so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I cant wait to see the next few episodes. However being in France will mess up that

Watch them in French, it only started here last week :)

I think Sawyer's flashback is the first that doesn't place the character having the flashback in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

OFDM wrote:
    I think Sawyer's flashback is the first that doesn't place the character having the flashback in Australia.

yeh, i think i might have missed that. how did he end up in australia anyway? was he just doing another con or something?

nachos wrote:
    yeh, i think i might have missed that. how did he end up in australia anyway? was he just doing another con or something?
    You will learn why in his next backstory..

remember its also the first one that had nothing to do with him. Just playing out what happened to him.

Do we find out another name for him or is just left like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

That is very good. and as i have seen the episodes i'll have a vague idea of what they said
    so it'll help my french

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Matt: my american cousin sent me over the tapes, which has french subtitles on 2 episodes. It sucks.

--
    I still dont really 'get' sawyer, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Sawyer Couldn't have hit Sayid because even if he set a fuse delay he still have to turn on the transceiver, this was on because Sayid got a signel just before he was hit!!!

Sawyer Couldn't have hit Sayid because even if he set a fuse delay he still have to turn on the transceiver, this was on because Sayid got a signel just before he was hit!!!
    Sayid getting a signal had nothing to do with Sawyer turning on the transceiver. Sawyer wasn't transmitting anything, just trying to receive the signal at the same time and record the power level to triangulate the power source signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Chittle

I don't get this fuse delay thing..

How could Sawyer use one when he had no idea when Sayid was gonna set off his flare first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

They told him to set it off in exactly five minutes, perhaps?
    (didn't actually see episode 7 so I'm just guessing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Chittle wrote:
    I don't get this fuse delay thing..

How could Sawyer use one when he had no idea when Sayid was gonna set off his flare first?
    Please pay attention to the show before commenting.

*they agreed to send the flares up at 5PM.
    The whole point of this scene was to show Lockes manipulating. I believe he will get more manipulative as time goes on. I also think that sawyer didnt set a fuse delay(although he might have!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    The whole point of this scene was to show Lockes manipulating.

yes!

and no Sawyer is not Macgyver

I agree it was to show how manipulative Locke is.
    But I have to say that most definately it wasn't Locke although he has motive that is to stay there because he walk there and alot of things have happened to him to make him want to stay but now he can walk he could do alot more in life for example with whatever military connections he has. It wasn't Sawyer because no matter how much of an annoying and cruel person he is he would never do that because he probably wants to get off the island.

i know! i know!

it was a disgruntled ABC exec who was getting irritated at the long windiness of the series, and wanted to prevent sayid from finding the ABC shack on the island where all the producers and cameramen live(plus it has the added bonus of introducing some more mystery into the story).

either that or it was timetravel, if nothing else works blame it on timetravel....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I've seen the episode where we discover who hits Sayid, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Can somebody wrap a couple of spoiler tags around it or PM me? The temptation might be too great for some people!

qz wrote:
    I've seen the episode where we discover who hits Sayid, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Can somebody wrap a couple of spoiler tags around it or PM me? The temptation might be too great for some people!
    I've PMed qz with the answer, please can no-one post up who actually did it since, as qz mentioned, the temptation may be too much and there are rules against posting non-IRL stuff on IRL threads

k?

Thanks

• Advertisement

i know who it is too, but im having fun screwing around anyway....

i have a question, the woman who Sawyer is fooling around with in the beggining of the episode, who does she look like more ? maria bello(as Dan Kwa @ twop thinks) or a blonde eliza dushku as i think ?

you deicide!

herobear wrote:
    i have a question, the woman who Sawyer is fooling around with in the beggining of the episode, who does she look like more ? maria bello(as Dan Kwa @ twop thinks) or a blonde eliza dushku as i think ?
    Wow.. what a valid question! :rolleyes:

... more like Maria Bello definantly!

Girl in 'Lost':

normal_conman218.jpg

Maria Bello:

259760.jpg

That's one bad picture of yer wan :)

Advertisement