Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Olympics. Who'll get it?

• 04-07-2005 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭

I'd say London or Paris although it will be close

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

What is it about those two cities that puts them above the others?

I'd say Paris will win it. They might even run away with it, although I would like London to win. I have a sad feeling that London might come third though, behind New York. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

London would be very handy for watching the games although after the Golden League Paris deserve it. They had a crowd of 74,000 at it, and gave away tickets to under privileged children and in doing so might have got some people into athletics, hopefully long term. I'd like London to win it but i reckon it'll be Paris, and not without reason, first we need to concentrate on Beijing though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Amz wrote:
    What is it about those two cities that puts them above the others?

Madrid will suffer as Barcalona had it only in 1992, Moscows bid is too vague (by all accounts) and the New York bid is weak, with bother over the main stadium and pubic-sector infrastructure. Word suggests some counties will use thier vote as an anti-Iraq protest.

Paris has the most infrastucture in place and of course Paris is an attractive location, London seems to have momentum and proberly the votes from the US delegation once New York is voted out. All to play for.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

My heart says London and my head is also starting to have a good feeling about it. Paris is 1/5 so not worth a bet. A few bob on London might pay off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

great news,did you see the french reaction,hee hee

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

great to see London getting it, im delighted for them, it will be easy for us to just pop over to london and watch any of the events.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Yeah! Really thrilled its London. Hope I can get to see a few events. Also, with a bit of enterprise on the part of our Government and the Irish Sport Council we could also get a bit of business here from athletes/sportspeople looking for a place to 'acclimatise' if only we can put a few decent sports facilities in place. Who knows - we may even get our indoor facility in Santry after all. Now is the time to start exerting some pressure - don't let the Government off the hook a second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

The only ones coming to Ireland for facilites ( as they now stand) will be showjumpers ,rowers and sailers.
    the famous indoor debacle rumbles on.
    What about Lord Mayor Aherns promises at Santry 3 or 4 years ago?
    We,ve since been told that money went to the Special Olympics.... Such effing nonsense.It didnt stop the croneyist faction and the aquatic centre!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 groovyspoon

Aaaaaaah!
    The good old indoor stadium argument. I love this one.
    Funnily enough, they told us that the money for the stadium was redirected to the Special Olympics ... however, before the Special Olympics were officially confirmed, part of irelands selling point was that we would have a brand spanking new state of the art indoor facility right beside the main competition track for the athletes to warm up in! It would also mean that some of the events that require indoor use could be held beside the main events stadium. Hmmm... I'm sure the organisers were just as amused as us to find a field where the stadium was meant to be.

I'm not sure what the actual truth is but I'm sure it has something to do with Fingal County Council and 'this whole sport thing' not been very profitable. As per usual, the lack of foresight by those in charge is wholly unbelievable, infuriating and embarrasing. I'm sure that they will eventually build one somewhere but at what cost? I remember reading that the cost of the first proposed stadium was only to be about 2million. I cant wait to hear the next quote... 'that will be 65million euro mister... oh, and heres a hard hat in case the roof falls off!'

Advertisement