Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying new house should i increase mortgage to renovate?

Options
  • 04-07-2005 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi...buying a new house and have a small surplus from the previous sale..to renovate the house...im just wondering should i go back to the bank and ask for a bit more to totally do the house instead of scrimping and saving for the next 5 years...

Has anyone have had any experience in getting a top up on the mortgage even before drwadown date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

It would really depend on how badly the house needs renovating, if it's in reasonable condition you might be better off not extending your mortgage and just doing the renovations bit by bit, remember you will be paying for a short term gain (renovations) over a long term.

A couple of years ago I looked into extending my mortgage but paying off the extra amount over 3 years. It is possible to do this, the extra money you get is treated seperately to your mortgage. It is the same as getting a loan except for the fact the interest rate you are charged is the same as your mortgage interest rate. The downside for me is that since it wasn't a new house I would have had to pay around €300 for a valuation report from the bank, this won't be an issue for you. There is a name for this type of loan, however I can't remember.

Advertisement