Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a property together - hidden costs?

Options
  • 04-07-2005 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

I own the house with my sister. We both live there and both get mortgage relief.
    My sister also owns a house with her boyfriend.

Would you know if we would have to pay anything like CGT or somethng similar if we sould the house we have together?

Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

If the house is your primary principal residence, then you are exempt from CGT. What's the story with your sister & the other house????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

babaduck wrote:
    If the house is your primary principal residence, then you are exempt from CGT. What's the story with your sister & the other house????

Well she lives with her boyfriend there and I live in this house.

She does have her mortgage relief at the house that we bought together even though shes living in the other house with her boyfriend.

We were wondering if we'd have to pay anything. Or is her house with her boyfriend seen as her investment property?

Thanks for the help.
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

You should double check this with a financial advisor or solicitor but from the sounds of this, her shared house with the boyfried is either in his name only or a 2nd property, so she should be from CGT too

Advertisement