Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got any tips for a budding pilot...

Options
  • 04-07-2005 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

So I have the heli flying nailed. I can fly around no bothers.
    When I get into a plane though I usually last about 20-30 seconds before crashing into the ground. The things go too fast..

Any one got any tips on flying planes.
    Also, any tips on hitting things while firing from both heli's and planes....

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Let the throttle off a bit if you feel you're goin to fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yep makes life easy for those of us going full speed to evade/get behind ye ;)

get used to the speed flying high above the ground, doing loop da loops and so on(you'll need to do some great aerobatics to get another jet off yer tail anyway)...and then just try simple bombing runs.....you don't need to go very load with laser guided weapons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Avoid the ground.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Make sure to invert controls or you will be having major probs!!!

Are you using mouse/keyboard or joystick?

I use the mouse/keyboard because I find you get better control from plane/heli!! with the plane make sure to get good altitude if you are new to them and do a couple of laps around the maps then start to gradually go lower and then try to hit different targets!! try the planes in BFV or BF1942 because they are a bit slower so you will get used to the controls easier than in BF2 where they are very quick......in BFV try flaming dart.....few EAUK servers which do flight maps only(can see in ASE) so after a bit of practise try a few games on here to practise against a moving target.,......get one of the F4 and rule the sky!!!!! lol.....in BF2 as well hit the booster on take off and see how long you last......lol

Mind you do this in practise mode until you are a good pilot...nothing worse than waiting for a plane to see some newbie jump in and then go head first into the sea or the first building they see!!

KdjaC wrote:
    Avoid the ground.

kdjac

and the buildings!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Big Nelly wrote:
    and the buildings!!!

Well they on the ground so ............unless they castles in the sky THUMP THUMP THUMP!!!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Big Nelly wrote:
    Make sure to invert controls or you will be having major probs!!!

Are you using mouse/keyboard or joystick?

I use the mouse/keyboard because I find you get better control from plane/heli!! with the plane make sure to get good altitude if you are new to them and do a couple of laps around the maps then start to gradually go lower and then try to hit different targets!! try the planes in BFV or BF1942 because they are a bit slower so you will get used to the controls easier than in BF2 where they are very quick......in BFV try flaming dart.....few EAUK servers which do flight maps only(can see in ASE) so after a bit of practise try a few games on here to practise against a moving target.,......get one of the F4 and rule the sky!!!!! lol.....in BF2 as well hit the booster on take off and see how long you last......lol

Mind you do this in practise mode until you are a good pilot...nothing worse than waiting for a plane to see some newbie jump in and then go head first into the sea or the first building they see!!

I'm using a PS2 controller for air vehicles.
    I have all the buttons mapped correctly. As I said Heli's are easy to flying for the simple reason that they are a lot slower...
    Will arse around a bit with the jets...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I'm in the same boat but mastered it in BFV, try and practice in the externl view mode for a while, get famillar with the controls............. up down fire ect ! practice that for a week or two (depending on your game times) drop bombs ect............. and see how the destroy ect...........

REM press E and then 9 before you crash !! lol

then once confident use inside cockpit mode usually press C twice so you get full screen view !!

PRACTICE PRACTICE !! and dont mind the others here they cant rem when they were bad at flying too !!

BTW most are pretty good here and you can get lots of tips on the TIG or NRG servers !!

WATCH OUT FOR BIG NELLY IN THE BIG GREY HELLI !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

KdjaC wrote:
    Well they on the ground so ............unless they castles in the sky THUMP THUMP THUMP!!!!!
    u legend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Drapper wrote:
    Also, if you in a heli, and you see me coming, flares don't always work. Esp when I'm set on killing you... no matter what:p

If your in a plane, and you get tracked (warning beeps, etc), hit the booster, and drop a few flares, whilst doing some aerobatic moves, such as loop-de-loops, and also flying very flow, avoiding buildings, etc, in the hope that the chaser slams into one of them/gives up chase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Adam_K

A few things to improve combat effectiveness:

*NOTE: I have only flown on the demo, so this is mostly valid for the Gulf of Oman.

Basic Air to air tactics:

- Stay fast and low and always try to avoid nonsensical turn-fighting or endless loop fights, although sometimes unavoidable. If that happens, do as many random and sudden movements as you can untill you get a chance to extend away from the enemy. Then reverse back over where you came from and try to get behind him instead.

- Turn off your missle mode untill you are right behind an enemy plane, basically point blank, and he wont have a clue that you are there. If you do get that close and hes flying straight, use cannons and dont waste missles, unless hes much better then you, then fire the lot.

- Save flares to the last few seconds, and then do a barrel roll after dropping the flares and then pull sharply away to the right or the left. (sometimes the missle hits you if you drop too early and dont move)

- Get used to flying as fast as possible

- Dont panic when you get locked on, and try to have some movements pre-set in your head for each situation. (Like the usage of flares above)

Basic Air to Ground Tactics:

- Like before, stay fast, and keep your speed up.

- Drop bombs early when lined up on a target, its not as intuitive as BF42 or vietnam. Extra note: The closer to the ground, the later you should drop.

- If your not into low-altitute-high-speed attacks, drop from very high angles above the enemy.

- 75% of the time, if you stay fast, afterburn, and go straight past an enemy Stinger position, they wont have time to hit you, unless its a carrier.

Keyzer wrote:
    I'm using a PS2 controller for air vehicles.
    I have all the buttons mapped correctly. As I said Heli's are easy to flying for the simple reason that they are a lot slower...
    Will arse around a bit with the jets...

I always found heli's harder to master than planes!!! most of been all the heli hores on BFV......me winks at fli(but he is gone so brings a tear to my eye).......I would try and use the keyboard....will take abit of practise but once you get used to the controls you can get 10 times better control and easier to do flips an so on!!! think everyone here will say the same!!

Drapper wrote:

You know it baby!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think the best thing you can do is create your own 64 player multiplayer game and keep practicing. They say before, avoid the ground, but only avoid "contact" with the ground! :D Flying as low as possible will stop ground units from being able to fire off missiles at you, and you'll be going too fast for machine guns to be effective.

And never fly in a straight line! Keep jingling except, obviously when you are trying to kill something.

If you are trying to shoot down a jet and you see them do a hard turn (as in they are obviously doing a 180) turn the opposite way. It's instinct for most people at the moment (until they get too used to the game!!!) to pull hard turns to avoid being shot from behind. So when you go the opposite end you may get a few shots at them from an angle they are not expecting!

And finally, the most important information you will hear!!!! There is no more powerful weapon than the plane itself! If you can't hit a target with your missiles, hit them with your plane! It'll kill you, but it'll kill them too (and bring a smile of satisfaction to your face) and you'll respawn after a couple of seconds! :D:D:D

PS I forgot, Watch Top Gun!!! It'll get you in the mood!

jomanji wrote:
    And finally, the most important information you will hear!!!! There is no more powerful weapon than the plane itself! If you can't hit a target with your missiles, hit them with your plane! It'll kill you, but it'll kill them too (and bring a smile of satisfaction to your face) and you'll respawn after a couple of seconds! :D:D:D

PS I forgot, Watch Top Gun!!! It'll get you in the mood!

This is called kamikaze and I would kick people on a server if they where doing this all the time....I myself have crashed into Heli's before when trying to shoot down but always have been my mistake and I will say a quick sorry to the other person!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Big Nelly wrote:
    and the buildings!!!

and the trees nelly ;)

kinkstr wrote:
    and the trees nelly ;)

LMAO...yeah they are dangerous f**kers!!

Advertisement