Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nokia 6101

• 04-07-2005 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

Has it been released yet? If not, does anyone know the launch date? Would it be worth waitin for it, I was planning on getting a 6680 but i like the design of the 6101 better. Is there much difference between the two in terms of function?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

i like the design of 6101,but 6680 is much better to use. i have used the 6101 as ny friend got it as a prototype form nokia. it should be availble within 1-2 weeks

anyway at the end of the day its ur choice as u are buying it. go to nokia website to compare fones so you can see the difference between 6101 and 6680.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Is it 3G? I'm unsure!
    Any idea about the projected price range for it and if it will be available on prepaid packages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Definitely coming out in the next few weeks on Meteor PAYG and Billpay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mivec

ive heard its gonna be €199 meteor pay as you go but free on bill phone... thats what the guy said in the shop but he could give me an exact date just soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

mivec wrote:
    ive heard its gonna be €199 meteor pay as you go but free on bill phone... thats what the guy said in the shop but he could give me an exact date just soon

Er, you said before you worked for Meteor so surely you'd actually know...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

meteor will be sellin this fone very cheap as all there fones are at really good prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

It costs around £280 (ex VAT) on Expansys and will be available from July 14th (sim free)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Was in Carphone Warehouse today, and the guy there tried to tell me that it only stores 20 text messages! I was like "huh? I have a 6610 and it stores 150 texts onto the phone memory, 25 onto my SIM memory", and he said rather gruffly "well I've NEVER heard of ANY phone storing 150 messages before".

Like what the hell! So I'm assuming this guy hadn't a clue what he was talking about, right? I was almost gonna buy it there n then (sim free) but then he tried to tell me it only stores 20 messages. I mean, in this day and age where texting is huge, and he tries to "sell" the phone by telling me there's only room for 20 texts, way to put me off buying it!

So, what I want to know, does anyone have the slightest idea as to how many messages it'd store? My 6610 (bought it over two years ago) stores 175 in total, so surely I wouldn't be downgrading by getting the 6101. I text a lot, and don't want to be deleting my inbox every day to get space!

I checked the Nokia website and this is what it said regarding messaging:
    Messaging

New, easy-to-use interface for audio messages: record your own voice message and send to compatible devices
    Send and receive messages containing text, an audio clip, and an image or video clip to other compatible devices (maximum message size: up to 100 kB)
    Email: supports SMTP, POP3, and IMAP4 protocols
    Predictive text input: support for all major languages for Europe, Africa, Asia-Pacific, and the Americas
    Instant Messaging and Presence-enhanced contacts: check the status of your friends before you call them

Memory Functions

Shared memory pool of 4.4 MB for user data:
    contacts, text messages, multimedia messages, ringing tones, images, video clips, calendar notes, to-do list, and applications

And this is what it says for the 6610:
    Memory Functions *

The following functions use shared memory that is dependent on the data quantity per item and shared memory available at a time in the Nokia 6610:
    Phonebook (up to 300 entries)
    SMS (up to 150 text messages or 50 picture/concatenated messages)
    Calendar notes (up to 250 entries)
    To-do list (up to 30 entries)
    Fixed ringing tones (11 preset, not removable)

The following features share a memory pool of 625 kB
    MMS (maximum size 30 kB per MMS message)
    Ringing tones in Gallery (20 preset, all removable)
    Images (10 preset, all removable)
    Java™ applications (3 preset, max download size 64 kB per application)

If anybody would be able to help, it'd be very much appreciated. I seem to be going up against a brick wall each time! From what I gather, the 6101 uses the shared memory for storing texts ... but with Carphone Warehouse telling me one thing, and other shops telling me other things, I just don't know what to believe!

Thanks everyone :)

Advertisement