Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locking NT workstations

• 30-07-2001 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi Guys
    Looking for some info etc. on locking a few NT4 workstations. Any sites or aps out there that are useful? Looking for something that will create a default profile and that will just involve exporting the profile to another machine instead of editing registries. The machines are networked but are not in a domain and we don't use NT Server either. Had a quick look at the Management Console plugin but not sure if this is the way to go??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

not too sure as to what you mean.
    are you just looking for one of locking a workstation or some sort of roaming profile?
    to lock a workstation just press ctrl+alt+del and choose the lock workstation option. can then only be unlocked using the users password or by logging in as administrator
    or are you looking for a method of locking down a workstation so that you only have a few apps open to people when they log on with a generic account?
    if this is so then create a generic account and you can use a guest account situation with strict policies that allow the user to do only certain things.
    or use a thin client like citrix metaframe to allow only access to certain apps and lock down the desktop and start menu in the users profile to allow access only to the citrix client.
    or something.
    im sure theres probably a completely more simple way to do it.
    brain dead today smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Not sure what it is exactly you need but if it's the ability to restrict access to certain things like control panel and display properties and stuff then System policy editor is your man and it comes with the resource kit which is probably on microsofts web site some where.

Also, this board is used from the admin of boards.ie itself. Next time post to technology or net/comms. hth!

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

1. Get a book on the subject and read it.

2. Post in the Tech Forum, not the admin forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dinger

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    1. Get a book on the subject and read it.

2. Post in the Tech Forum, not the admin forum.

1.Not exactly the reply I was expecting. I presumed that the concept of Boards.ie/NGs etc. were to share ideas/knowledge with people who have more experience. If this is not the case this site would not have the following it has. I.T. is a wide area and nobody can know everything about Apps,OS's etc. I came across one of the best programmers I've ever seen the other day but she couldn't install NT without a bit of help. I didn't tell her to read a book. I gave her a hand and we shared our knowledge!

2. Sorry to much coffee to-day. Looked at admin and thought of Sys Admin. Off to the Tech Forum I go. ;-)

Advertisement