Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question

• 04-07-2005 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Why in films do they mime somtimes, you hear wot there saying and the mouth moves later, why do they do this?? and the people are able to speak english aswell

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Johnerr wrote:
    Why in films do they mime somtimes, you hear wot there saying and the mouth moves later, why do they do this?? and the people are able to speak english aswell

They are not miming when this happens there is just a delay between the picture and sound. I used to get this a bit when watching a dvd on my old player. All your doing is experiencing a slight delay before you hear the sound. Thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

Are you sure?? coz somtimes it look like there are just making out the words with there mouth and not saying them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Johnerr wrote:

I would imagine that when they were shooting the scene, the ambient noise meant poor sound quality (e.g. a lot of traffic in the background could block out their voices), so they had to re-record the script in a studio and put it back over the film. This is done poorly sometimes, and the voices are not in synch with the lip movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Most likely cause is that it's not the mae west DVD player or (if you're being bold and watching it on DivX) the sound and video are out of sync a little because of a delay... If it's DivX just restart the film or move it on/back a little... if it's DVD, but a new DVD player...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

any eg's???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

You sure your not watching films that are dubbed from another language :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Its just what happenss when you use a crappy DVD player the picture and sound come out of sync. Just buy a new and better player and problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

HAH .. i got this when i was watching The Sandlot .. i was like DAMN not kewl
    but it was just cuz some **** up with the player so i just reset the dvd and went on my merry way

brilliant film muchly loved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Yeah I know what you mean I get a bad delay on the sound even when watching originals but it can be very bad when watching "backed up" films. Definitely the player in my case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

if its not the dvd then its A.D.R

which stands for Audio DUbbing Recording (i think its recording)

which is where the actor is brought back in to record new lines for the film to replace lines which have not worked for many reasons.

-ambiance
    -quality
    -continuity
    -poor test response

good examples of this include Dr Strangelove's emergency supplies scene where the line was originally "Someone could have a good time in DALLAS with this stuff." But due to the Kennedy assassination it was changed to "Someone could have a good time in VEGAS with this stuff" When doing ADR it needs to be lip synched...but for many reasons the lipsynching could be off (laziness etc) or the studio decides just to havethe character say nothing if its a minor scene/character/moment (Wild Bunch has alot of this in opening gunfight).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

its fine on dvd players not talking about that, some films on tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I was watching my copy of Easy Rider recently and towards the end, the talk track and the video were probably about a second apart. It was horrible! It would have been fine if it were during a scene where they were just riding their bikes, but it was during a lot of dialogue and it ruined it. My DVD player isn't up to much to be honest; this may be the kick up the butt I need to get a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Johnerr wrote:
    its fine on dvd players not talking about that, some films on tv

then its ADR. or it could be (if your in USA or something) censoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    then its ADR. or it could be (if your in USA or something) censoring.
    Ah yes. Ever see the censored version of Repoman?

F**k you motherf**ker!

becomes:

Flip you melonfarmer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ah yes. Ever see the censored version of Repoman?

F**k you motherf**ker!

becomes:

Flip you melonfarmer!

Or die hard on RTE, "Yipee Kai-ay Mother-****er" becomes "yipee Kai-ay Kimosabe"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Off topic I know (or, on the side-topic), did any of you guys ever see the cleaned up version of Robocop? It was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen. F*ck became frigg, dipsh*t became dipstick, and *sshole became airhead (with the dubbed voice being out by a mile). What was particularly stupid about it was that they had left in most of the brutal violence, and that is ten thousand times worse, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Wacker wrote:
    Off topic I know (or, on the side-topic), did any of you guys ever see the cleaned up version of Robocop? It was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen. F*ck became frigg, dipsh*t became dipstick, and *sshole became airhead (with the dubbed voice being out by a mile). What was particularly stupid about it was that they had left in most of the brutal violence, and that is ten thousand times worse, in my opinion.
    Or the TV version of Scarface (which is on the DVD) - "This town is like a great big pussy waiting to be fucked" becomes "This town is like a great big chicken waiting to be plucked". Amazing stuff.

Advertisement