Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic watch-My day in court

Options
  • 04-07-2005 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Had my day in court today in Thomastown.

Case was not up till 12.45pm court sitting since 11am. Case called and guess what? No show from my boy racer foe.

Naturally judge was very peed off by this and issued a warrant for arrest of said foe. Downside I have to go back in 2 weeks time.

I will keep yee updated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

If you don't mind, what is the case about? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Suicidial overtaking of myself and an artic on a blind bend with double white lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

class, when's the rematch (I presume popcorn is allowed on the premises?) :D

18th of July 11am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Is it your word against his, or do you need afew witnesses ? (thinks back on a very chequered overtaking history :o)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

The very least you could do is provide more information. Or at least post a link to a previous thread if you've posted about this before.

Was their an accident, was anyone hurt? What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

:D good luck in 2 weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Will you get your expenses paid - time off work and travel etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

528i wrote:
    thinks back on a very chequered overtaking history

Elaborate and confess! I hope the f00k it wasn't on blind bends :(

I break the law overtaking on a regular basis but not on blind bends though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭phelo05

stupidity thats what i say i hope the judge flogs ya with the book my friend no hard feelings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

phelo05 wrote:
    stupidity thats what i say i hope the judge flogs ya with the book my friend no hard feelings

Erm... Bond007 appears to be the guy who was overtaken, not doing the overtaking, so I doubt very much the Judge would flog him with the book.

You need to read the thread before you let your gonnads do your typing, m8ey ;) - Oh, yeah, no hard feelings either :D

@528i - 'hope that wasn't you in Rathmines this AM, pootling at 20mph...

I am getting paid for time lost at work and travel @ €1 per mile. Works out to €110 a day in total. So I will get that again on the 18th.

I would hate to be on the receiving end of this judge, he fined one guy there €200 for wandering across a white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Fair play to you bond, felt like ringing traffic watch last night myself!

I was driving home the nangor road yesterday and an idiot in a black 02 VW passat TDI was behind me.
    Its a 50 zone, and there is a bus lane, but it isn't opened yet. Nobody uses it though.
    So without and indications, the VW pulls into the bus lane, accelerates past four or five cars on the inside and then pulls back into lane and immediatly into the right turn lane at the lights.
    This guy broke 4 road laws (crossed solid white line twice, changed lane without indicating twice, broke the speed limit, passed out cars on the inside), in about 30 seconds, and ended up sitting almost beside me at the next set of lights. A guy ina red octavia got out of his car at the lights and told him off.
    So if you are the driver of the black VW and you are reading this, you are a proper ar$ehole, get a fupping life!

Rant Over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Just out of interest - isn't the burden of proof on the prosecution in these cases? In other words someone phones up grasswatch to complain about someone elses driving and it goes to court, then surely its a case of one person's word against the other's? Which isn't sufficient proof to get a conviction in any other case.

Of course its on the prosecution.

In my case he didn't show. So He will defo be there the next day. His non appearance yesterday is already against him.

Apparently he has admitted the offence.

So if he had the brains to hire a solicitor to say "prove it" there's no way he could be convicted? Then again if he was stupid enough to perform the manouevre you describe then its not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bond-007 wrote:
    Apparently he has admitted the offence.

If he's pleading guilty, do you still need a witness?

And if he's pleading not guilty and there is only one witness (yourself) is that enough proof? One word against one word?

As there is no Garda witness, I am still needed to present the facts of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Another great example of Irish legal system expecting the busy-bodies of this country to police the state.

Just because one person thinks it's dangerous doesn't mean it is, I seriously can't believe the courts are taking this vendetta-line seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

De Hipster wrote:
    Another great example of Irish legal system expecting the busy-bodies of this country to police the state.

Just because one person thinks it's dangerous doesn't mean it is, I seriously can't believe the courts are taking this vendetta-line seriously.
    Bond-007 thinks it is dangerous to overtake on a blind corner having crossed double solid white lines. I have to say I would agree with him. Do you think it is safe?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I rang 'grasswatch' yesterday about a guy who I followed up the N4 from Mullingar to Kilcock and who was driving extremely erratically. There wasn't anything conclusive for the most part, just general weaving, varying speed, and picking strange lines through roundabouts, but on the Enfield bypass he suddenly swerved the whole way over the white line and then back again, with nothing coming, and then something similar on the stretch between the bypass and the M4. He seemed to be on the phone at the time but to me it looked like he was drunk.

So I pulled in and rang the line, was put on hold for about 3 or 4 minutes, and was then told blunty by the female robot voice 'We are experiencing a very high level of calls to traffic watch and cannot take your call, please call again some other time' - before I was promptly cut off. This is at 9:30 on a monday night.

I don't think the observations I had made warranted making a 999 call so I decided I had no real alternative but to leave it.

MrPudding wrote:
    Bond-007 thinks it is dangerous to overtake on a blind corner having crossed double solid white lines. I have to say I would agree with him. Do you think it is safe?

MrP

I'm not a cop or traffic professional so therefore my unqualified opinion would not or certainly SHOULD NOT hold up in court.

Besides perhaps he could see further round the corner from the otherside of the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

De Hipster wrote:

It this moron serious, I bet this is the prat that should have been in court yesterday, its a shame that others don't take "Bond-007"'s lead and get idiots like you off the road, if you drove properly you would not have that view, think (rub the two brain cells you have together) of others including your own family.

I am still needed to present the facts of the case.

Unless you've got a video recording its just your recollection/opinion, not fact.
    expecting the busy-bodies of this country to police the state

Indeed.

I saw some people acting suspiciously yesterday, and they were possibly foreign. Do you have the number of my local Gauleiter so I can have them deported?

De Hipster wrote:
    I'm not a cop or traffic professional so therefore my unqualified opinion would not or certainly SHOULD NOT hold up in court.

Besides perhaps he could see further round the corner from the otherside of the road!

Proves my previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

De Hipster wrote:

Maybe he could, just like seeing a big artic 2 seconds earlier, but unfortunately heading straight for you, the guy broke the law and deserves to be done for it, if you see a murder but the police don't he can still be done.

amerden wrote:
    It this moron serious, I bet this is the prat that should have been in court yesterday, its a shame that others don't take "Bond-007"'s lead and get idiots like you off the road, if you drove properly you would not have that view, think (rub the two brain cells you have together) of others including your own family.

Nice friendly attitude you have there amerden...are opinions offensive or threatening to you?

Obviously name-calling is justified due to my having an opinion that is not perfectly agreeable with your vastly superior one.

My driving record speaks for itself, it the likes of your good self that need to jump down off your high horse & get on with your own exciting life, whilst of course presuming that you can take on the role of the state police, continuing to judge & interfere with others day-to-day existances.

magpie wrote:
    Unless you've got a video recording its just your recollection/opinion, not fact.

Indeed.

I saw some people acting suspiciously yesterday, and they were possibly foreign. Do you have the number of my local Gauleiter so I can have them deported?

My point exactly!

• Advertisement

De Hipster wrote:
    Nice friendly attitude you have there amerden...are opinions offensive or threatening to you?

Obviously name-calling is justified due to my having an opinion that is not perfectly agreeable with your vastly superior one.

My driving record speaks for itself, it the likes of your good self that need to jump down off your high horse & get on with your own exciting life, whilst of course presuming that you can take on the role of the state police, continuing to judge & interfere with others day-to-day existances.

It is the duty of EVERY citizen to uphold the law of the country they reside in and likewise if they see the law being broken or peoples life's being put at risk this should be reported to the appropriate authority.

If YOUR opinion is that it doesn't matter how you drive or how much danger YOU put others in, then you deserve to be called a "moron", I am not name calling, you will find that the meaning of "moron" is "a mentally deficient person", this I deduced from your previous statement.

As for your DRIVING record, carry on with the attitude that it is OK to overtake or cross double white lines and you will end up with a different kind of record, at best.

Advertisement