Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic watch-My day in court

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

I honestly can't see why anyone here is on bond007's case. The phone line is there to be used, and that is what he did! I say fair play, even if the offender isn't convicted, hopefully he/she will be more aware that other road users won't tolerate his/her dangerous, selfish driving manner.
    I don't think anyone should be critisizing 007 as he did witness a blatantly dangerous maneouvre. What De Hipster is getting at (I think) is that this system is totally prone to abuse.

As for the scheme being wound down, I have to say that I'm glad as I was nearly the victim of some prick once. (Overtook some lad in a van doin 50 on a normal enough stretch but he decided to accelerate to try and push me back I guess. Long story short I had a bit left so went past him regardless and the vindictive fcuk reported me for dangerous overtaking or something. Explained to the gard what happened but only for a prefect driving record, I'm not sure if the cnut couldn't have made life very difficult for me. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Scheme was a disaster alright,
    Like the case of the off duty Garda, car on front is acting dangerously, wandering from lane to lane ..not indicating. So he comes to a set of red lights... he hops out runs up to the car and tells them their drivings terrible and that the cars behind are in danger etc...but doesn't identify himself as a cop.

So he drives off, half an hour later he gets a call from the station to say he's been reported as driving dangerously ... everyone who's been pi**ed off by another driver can call in and waste time+ resources.

How many drivers do we see every day who don't know how to use a roundabout/ yellow box junction ?? They think they're right (as we all do) so they can then phone in etc.. etc..

The theory is good ..but!! Roll on a dedicated traffic corp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Boggle wrote:
    I don't think anyone should be critisizing 007 as he did witness a blatantly dangerous maneouvre. What De Hipster is getting at (I think) is that this system is totally prone to abuse.

As for the scheme being wound down, I have to say that I'm glad as I was nearly the victim of some prick once. (Overtook some lad in a van doin 50 on a normal enough stretch but he decided to accelerate to try and push me back I guess. Long story short I had a bit left so went past him regardless and the vindictive fcuk reported me for dangerous overtaking or something. Explained to the gard what happened but only for a prefect driving record, I'm not sure if the cnut couldn't have made life very difficult for me. )

Nail on head there Boggle.

Coupled with the fact that the guard takes the word of one against another, with no substansiating evidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Like 007, I've used Traffic Watch to report some instances of (very) dangerous driving I've observed on my commute to work. If all it achieved was to get someone stopped and warned to slow down, that'd be good enough. Unfortunately it never did. Invariably I found myself behind the morons at the first set of lights we met and never a Guard in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Result: €500 fine or 1 month in Jail. Judge gave a very severe ticking off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

What a stupid choice really ..... i mean as if anyone would pick a month in jail over 500 euros :confused: Not surprised the judge was harsh if he was a no show on first day of case tho ...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Any peno points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No points, he had a foreign licence anyways.

Super led me thru my evidence and he simply said that my testimony was accuarte and he pleaded guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Funxy ever thought that someone might be unable/unwilling to pay the € 500?

its either or.

I think that phone service should be used to track the looneys on our roads , if someones regularly keeps getting reported (by different ppl) it would give the guards a pretty good case to do them, or just follow them on any given day and get all the info they need on how bad/dangerous a driver they are.

But it should be a matter for the guards only, not Joe versus Mick in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Thats really pissed me off - thats twice the fine some wanker got for driving uninsured, ploughing into the side of my car, and giving wrong details at the scene of the accident.

****ing judicial system needs a bit of consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Well i know id rather take a loan out or beg someone to pay it for me then go to jail for a whole month :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I was sorry that TW had met its end when this evening I got deliberately cut up by two tools in a 96**4150 Toyota Cynos, coming out of Waterford.

I was just pulling into a gap of about 4 car lengths, indicating in advance, when they deliberately accelerated to block me and then slowed down to turn and laugh at me, followed by two fingers out the window. This in heavy rush-hour traffic. It took several deep breaths not to rear-end them on purpose. They only got to the next two four cars in front of me too. Some days I wish I was a Guard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

What do you need TW for? Just dial 11850 and ask for the nearest Garda Station.

I've done it to report some idiots and will continue to do it.

Some Gombeens around here wouldn't have anyone report anything to any authority. They are the same gob5hites who don't pass any remarks to loud-mouths , litter louts etc. Turning the blind eye in the most selfish way possible instead of making a worthwhile contribution towards a better society.

Advertisement