Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does 'fancy' ram really make much of a difference?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

might have settled on a pair of these:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_4000_dual_channel_gold_vx

according to abit my mobo supports dual channel ddr, and this is supposed to be the best stuff around, so it's gotta be the one for me.

if i can get my rig up to 3.6 or maybe even 3.8ghz with the faster ram that'll make for a system that's not too far behind today's bad boys.

i'm hhaving a lot of fun playing the BF2 demo at the moment, and i think i'm going to go out and buy the game, but my Radeon 9600pro is struggling a bit with it. Maybe something with a little more grunt might do a bit better.

maybe a 9800pro or possibly something a bit faster than that might be in order. hesitent to add more noisy fans to my rig now though, that i've managed to quieten it down with the xp120.

that reminds me, i best get off to do my new FS thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

VX is voltage extreme which runs best on high voltages (~3.2v). I would advise against this RAM unless your board can give it that kind of voltage (highly doubtful), or unless you have an OCZ DDR Booster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,680 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

vibe666 wrote:
    i read somewhere that it's better off if you have 4 ram slots to use 2 rather than 4 slots (i.e. 2x 512's rather than 4x 256's)

Nope. For the P4C it is best to use all 4 slots with 2 pairs of matched sticks (all double sided) but there's not much in it...
    vibe666 wrote:
    rather than 1x 1gb

:eek: You'r much better of using at least one matched pair rather than 1 stick

As WizZard says, be careful you don't buy something fancy your system can't handle. Why are you procrastinating though?

BloodBath suggested good ram for a very reasonable price from the best place you can buy memory from in Europe. It's all you need

okay, thanks for the suggestions guys, just need to raise some funds now (check the sig for some bits and bobs)
    unkel wrote:
    BloodBath suggested good ram for a very reasonable price from the best place you can buy memory from in Europe. It's all you need
    i'm just a procrastinating kinda guy!

didn't want to to go out and buy the first thing suggested in case it tunred out not to be the best i could get.

looks like the 1gb GeIL Ultra Platinum kit it is then.

now go and buy some of my bits, so i can afford it!

okay, just ordered the ram, not sure how long it takes to arrive, but shouldn't be too long, fingers crossed. then i'll be bugging everyone on how best to overclock. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement