Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McWilliam's Agenda

Options
  • 04-07-2005 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

hmm.. I think this is on-topic for this board..

Does anyone subscribe to David McWilliam's 'Agenda' monthly which deals with the economy and global issues..?

Personally I usually find his take on economics, investments etc quite spot on so I was definitely interested in subscribing to the monthly (it's a PDF doc from his website).

However, I was pretty shocked that for 12 issues.. you are charged the princely sum of 199 euro!! :eek:

Now considering he has no distribution, printing costs I just cannot fathom that pricing model. I mean my yearly subscription to the Irish Times is something like 70 euro annually.

So my question is does anyone here subscribe and find the advice & opinions worth that amount of money..? The one thing he has going for him is he is as close (altho no one is perfect) to a non vested-interest economic commentator you can find in this country. But he was the last person I had expected to set off my 'rip off ireland' detector :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I too would be interesting in subscribing as I find he usually has some interesting points to make and, as you say, is reasonably non-bias (as far as is possible today anyway).

However much as I look forward to his article each Sunday there is no way in hell I'm paying two hundred quid a year for his monthly 'agenda' :mad: Hell I'd half expect the guy to hand-deliver it for that kind of money and be up for a discussion on the content afterwards ;)

I'd happily throw €25 at it mind you and would even give it some thought at €50 but given the expected margin he would have on each additional subscription (after all he's doing the work anyway) I'd have thought he'd be more keen on a wider readership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I too enjoy his articles but found the price way too much, he is more expensive than my subscription to the economist and financial times combined.

I also received some of the free newsletters, the third one i got contained a thing about irish pub economics, which seemed pretty similar to one of his articles printed previously in the sunday business post.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I thinks hes (a) stuck with a small user base (b) people are liekly to pass it on regardless of price.

Advertisement