Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which LCD is for me ?

Options
  • 04-07-2005 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I've already decided that an LCD is for me over a Plasma due to length of life, picture quality and above all resolution. Budget keeps me in the 32" range.

I want to use it for TV, movies, console games and Sky Digitial connectivity.

So, given a budget of up to 2K, and the choice between the following three models, which one would you choose and why ? If none, where should I buy one ? Had a look in Peats the other day and they are way expensive compared to the following prices.

BenQ 32" DV3250 LCD-TV, 16:9, 1366 x 768
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309203&cks=PRL

Samsung 32" LCD-TV LE32A41, 16:9, 1366 x 768
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309985&cks=PRL

LG 32" LCD-TV RZ-32LZ50, 16:9, 1280 x 768
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=310320&cks=PRL

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

All true and valid. And the great thing is, the returns policies and procedures with some online stores are as good as any real store. I can vouch for Komplett on this front. The only downside is you need to ship your return rather than bring it back to your friendly local store, but I'll take the price cut instead of that warm fuzzy feeling anyday !

Now, can anyone help me replace that in-store expert guy by helping me choose which LCD is for me ?

Merci

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HOB-it

Ry

do you work for Peats by any chance?

The returns isnt an issue i find with most reputable websites like komplett. they're eager to keep a good name and have a very prompt customer services department. Even places like svp.co.uk arrange for the courier to call to your door to pick up the goods you return.

At the end of the day - theres no excuse for extravagant prices - and the need to justify outlandish product prices by playing the peace of mind card is just plain extortion. I dont think any shops after sales service is worth the money some stores are charging - and how many people have been frustrated with irrate sales reps and poor technical assistance when you attempt to bring items back. They love selling them but hate to see them comming back.

sorry M. Stan - I havent answered your question. My advice would be on the samsung - simply for the DVI interface that the Ben Q doesnt have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

From my experience this is worthless, the advice they give is normally biased and ill informed (and I'm not talking only about Peats).

I bought my home cinema equipment from a retail shop in the UK that also has an online shop (just like peats). There prices were competitive with any online only shops. I don't see why Peats can write off a €700+ difference to having to pay more staff/rent the store. Its just usual rip off Ireland.

e.g.
    http://www.ivojo.co.uk/panasonic-pt-ae700e.htm - €1990
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=8452&type=6&path=10x4117x4121 - €2700 :rolleyes:

Returns are also no problem with a good online retailers. When I bought my projector it arrived borken. I contacted the shop, got a reply within the hour and two days later a courier delivered my new projector and picked up the old one, with no extra cost or hastle.

I agree with Ciaran - but now that we've gotten that out of our systems can we help with m stans original question.

HOB-it wrote:
    I agree with Ciaran - but now that we've gotten that out of our systems can we help with m stans original question.

thanks man - any suggestions folks ? I want my hard earned to be well spent !

• Advertisement

HOB-it wrote:
    sorry M. Stan - I havent answered your question. My advice would be on the samsung - simply for the DVI interface that the Ben Q doesnt have.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the BenQ has both VGA and DVI:

1 x VGA input ( 15 PIN HD D-Sub (HD-15) )
    1 x DVI-HDCP

Is that not a good thing ?

Also, looking more closely, the Samsung is 30cm deep compared to just 19cm in the BenQ. The BenQ also has POP as well as PIP. The Samsung only has PIP.

The BenQ also has SRS TruSurround XT.

At the same time, the Samsung uses less power, has a tuner, and teletext.

I know it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, but the BenQ is looking the better option to me overall.

Can anyone disagree or point me in a better direction ?

Thanks !

your right. For some reason Komplett didnt mention this in the summary specification. DVI is indeed a good thing.

I think youve made your own mind up. If your using a sky digibox with the lcd you wont have too much concern with getting the tuner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

In the exact same situation myself...

Just wondering what the story is with the tuners? If the TV doesnt have one whats the cost/ difficulty of installing one?

Cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

LOL! This is the 3rd post that Ry has posted in today calling everyone ignorant for not knowing the price differences between retail and on-line.

Come on Ry, reveal yourself. You work in peats dont you. Go on, admit it!
    You know it's true

EDIT: Just wanted to add that he copy pasted the same insult to everyone's intelligence in every thread. Youd think he'd have read it enough times by now to notice him contradicting himself in it.

EDIT 2: click on his name and look for other posts by him. Almost every thread is him telling people the price of that item in peats, or calling them retards for pointing out how expensive peats is. He should get a slap on the wrists for advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

EDIT 2: click on his name and look for other posts by him. Almost every thread is him telling people the price of that item in peats, or calling them retards for pointing out how expensive peats is. He should get a slap on the wrists for advertising

Careful now. I searched through all of Ry's posts for occurances of the word "peats" and there were only 5 threads hit on. Ry has ~700 posts. I have mentioned "komplett" in more than 5 threads, but I don't work for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

Yeah on that original question I was looking at the LG lcd, (Cause i'm a cheapskate) and i notice that it gives you the screen resolution of 1366 x 768. Is this any good, wud it compare to a normal rear projection TV???

ok I guess very few people have any interest whatsoever in helping me with an answer to my original question, so I'll just throw a dice and make my decision that way. Thanks to those that made an attempt at helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's a much higher res than a bog standard widescreen.

AFAIK, what you quoted covers HDTV resolutions (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and would therefore be fairly future proof too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah 1366 x 768 covers all the way up to 720p (which is 1280 x 720).

Normal SDTV is 480i. Which is 640x480 interlaced. By my sums that means 720p is about 5 and a half times more detailed than 480i. (1280x720 = 921000, 640x480x.5 = 153000)
    Should be a nice jump in detail (If you have a high res input, eg a PC or something)

Advertisement