Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ORB SFX tickets are on sale....

• 04-07-2005 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

<<< ELECTRIXON PRESS RELEASE >>>

Electrixon presents:

Go Trabi To The SFX

with very special guests

LE PETIT ORB
    (Alex Paterson & Thomas Fehlmann)

&

MIXMASTER MORRIS

HALFSET

LACKLUSTER
    SEAN QUINN
    ANNE GARNER
    STEPHEN SINGLETON

VINYL WEIGHS A TONNE
    COOL C
    SIMON F

SATURDAY JULY 23rd 2005

Go Trabi bring you their second summer instalment of quality electronics and visual treats in a magically transformed SFX theatre where you'll enter a sublunary world to stimulate your sensory apparatus.

SFX City Theatre,
    Upper Sherrard St.,
    Dublin 1

Tickets e27.50 + booking fee

available from www.tickets.ie

flyer is here :::>

http://www.electrixon.net/Other/orbingsfx.jpg

LE PETIT ORB (live)
    (Alex Paterson & Thomas Fehlmann)

The Orb are world renowned for their status as godfathers of the new wave of electronic music post 1988. The project of Alex Paterson, the Orb were formed in '88 by Paterson with Jimmy Cauty (KLF) as the co-pilot. Early releases such as 'Tripping On Sunshine' and 'A Huge Ever-growing Pulsating Brain Which Rules From The Centre Of The Ultraworld' established the Orb as pioneers of the emerging ambient / rave scene. After an acrimonious split with Cauty in '90, Paterson teamed up with Youth to record the sublime 'Little Fluffy Clouds'. Also in '90 Thomas Fehlmann along with Thrash first came into the fold of the Orb. Classic albums such as 'Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld', 'U.F. Orb', 'Orbus Terrarum', 'Peel Sessions' and 'Orblivion' marked out the path of the Orb through the 1990s. The 'Live 93' and 'Auntie Aubrey's....' remix albums are also classics of the dance years leading up to the millennium.
    The Orb have toured on massive scale since '93, with spectacular shows at the likes of Glastonbury and festivals and stadiums worldwide. Following the release of 'Orblivion' in '97, Paterson established Le Petit Orb to play live in smaller club venues.
    Since 2000, The Orb have released further excursions with 'Auntie Aubrey..', the Albums 'Cydonia' and 'Bicycles & Tricycles, as well as launching the Badorb project / label. In 2003, the Orb released their first single on Kompakt Records the 'Kompassion EP', in 2004 the 'Komplott EP' was released, and last month the 'Komfort EP' was served to us as a taster of what's to come on their soon to be released new album. The 'Komfort EP' is a fantastic record, which reaffirms the Orb as the true masters of ambient techtronics.
    It is with great pleasure that we present to you the legends that have brought us great listening pleasure over the last seventeen years. On July 23rd Le Peitit Orb get Le Grande Stage in the SFX City Theatre. Be there or be square!

"You've been orbed if you're sitting in a room and you get up to look out the window and you suddenly realize that it was coming from the record."

-- Dr. Alex Paterson.

http://www.theorb.com
    http://www.kompakt-net.de/

MIXMASTER MORRIS (Dj set)

Another legend on the bill is the one and only ambient ambassador Mixmaster Morris. Feel the Irresistible Force of the most hardworking ambient / chillout DJ in the world as he plays support to the Orb in 2005 just like he did when it all began in '88.
    Morris has produced some classic albums under The Irresistible Force on the Rising High and Ninja Tune labels. A regular well respected writer for Mixmag from '95 to '99, Morris gave the likes of Aphex Twin, Black Dog, Orbital & Squarepusher their first press coverage. Morris also released the classic Ambient Mixmag CD split with Alex Paterson. The late great John Peel even named him as his 'natural successor'. Morris has always been a champion of underground dance music, and is recognised as a leading critic of corporate dance music. So don't expect to hear the Crazy Frog from Morris at this event!

http://www.southern.com/MMM/
    http://www.ninjatune.net

HALFSET (live)

Halfset are one of the best new homegrown acts to blossom over the last two years. Their debut album 'Dramanalog' on Elusive Recordings is one of the most beautiful pieces of modern day instrumental music, flavours of electronica are combined with more traditional instruments such as the harp and the glockenspiel in what has become known as folktronica. Stephen Shannon and Jeff Martin are the founding members of this group, who have expanded in members while doing the live circuit. This is euphoric, synth-driven/organic down-tempo music that will completely free your mind.

http://www.halfset.com/
    http://www.elusiverecordings.com/

Psychonavigation Showcase featuring

LACKLUSTER (live)

Finnish maestro of melodies Esa Ruoho, aka LACKLUSTER. is an inspirational producer responsible for some of the most beautiful intelligent dance music released over the past ten years. Esa's collected ambient works are spread across labels such as De:Focus, U-Cover, Merck and Psychonavigation. No stranger to the Irish electronica scene, Esa's live performances are always a delight to hear. Smooth harmonics and perfectly placed beats make the music of Lackluster an engaging experience bringing smiles to our ears!
    www.lackluster.org

SEAN QUINN (live)

Belfast born Sean Quinn will have us all moogified with his excellent analogue arrangements of sound. There is a warm retro feel to Sean's music with odes to the greats such as Kraftwerk, Brian Eno, Human League and Tangerine Dream. Sean has being producing electronica music for many years, and his debut solo album on Psychonavigation is a real treat indeed. It is a brilliantly crafted slice of subliminal rhythms and magical melodies. Sean's set is sure to be one of the highlights of the night, be sure to catch his set.

ANNE GARNER (live)

Anne Garner hails from Sheffield in the UK. Throughout the late 80's & 90's Anne was signed to Sheffield based label Native/Ozone. She was an active member of the band Screaming Trees. Anne produced a track called "Wire' under the name Count Zero, which was produced by Richard H Kirk (Cabaret Voltaire) with success
    on the dance floor. In 2002 she joined Sheffield's 'Sundaze Collective' who have performed live at 3 `Big Chill' UK festivals. Currently Anne is working with Psychonavigation Records on a remix compilation of her solo works, due for release in September.

STEPHEN SINGLETON (Dj set)

Stephen was a member of the legendary 80's pop group ABC. In 1991 he and David Lewin formed Bleep & Booster whos track 'Genki' featured on the second 'Give Peace A Dance' compilation mixed by Mixmaster Morris. This exclusive Dj set by Stephen should contain some nostalgic treats.

Check out
    www.psychonavigation.com
    for more info on the artists performing as part of the Psychonavigation showcase.

VINYL WEIGHS A TONNE (Turntablism / Decks n' FX)

Chris (Goldy) & Jack of Freebird Records on 4 decks are joined by Dave (U-Fear-I) on a laptop. Expect some retro 80's cuts sliced and diced like you've never heard before. Selectors of savvy sounds, the trio will keep you entertained with a stunning performance of musical trickery and stuff. This is surely not to be missed.
    www.freebird.ie

COOL C (Turntablism / Dj set)

Hip-hop, funk and soul flows from the fingertips of the turntablist they call Cool C. From an early age Cool C has immersed himself in the world of hip-hop. He is a Dj, a collector and a graffiti artist and has served his spray time on the streets stateside and locally. Expect some top quality cutting and scratching and blends as Cool C gets us from one act to the next with some routines throughout the evening.

SIMON F

Ireland's No.1 breaks DJ Simon F will be dropping some quality slabs of historical wax to get the ball rolling on the evenings entertainment. You can be sure his set will be paying homage to the old school, a worthy addition to such a retrospective line-up.

Spectacular live visuals and projections on the night will be provided by

BEAM SUPREME, C-DIVISION & ITISON

+ Circus Acts, Market Stalls & Light Show

SATURDAY JULY 23rd 2005

SFX City Theatre,
    Upper Sherrard St.,
    Dublin 1

Tickets e27.50 + booking fee

available from www.tickets.ie from July 1st
    there are also a limited number of tickets on sale from Spindizzy Records and Freebird Records in Dublin, Plugg'd in Cork and a few more select record shops nationwide.

http://www.electrixon.net

info@electrixon.net

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

WOW :eek: the Orb are back :D amazing,ill definetly have to be going along to this,€27 is very steep but if the Orb are on form it's money well spent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ELECTRIXON

indeed they are. this will be a great evening of entertainment. we have tried to keep the ticket price as low as we possibly can, and given the amount of acts on the line-up, we believe it to be a fair and affordable price. you won't be dissappointed.

roll on july 23.

Electrics Are On

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

that looks like the gig of the year so far! big big up!

Yeah big time fcuk oxegen i was gonna go on a mad one down there but most of the acts bar New Order,Deep Dish,Ian Brown don't really interest me so roll on the Orb,amazing,will get my ticket soon :)

Does anyone remember the Orb in the Point in 1994 i think it was,amazing from what i can remember i was completly fcuked on E's and Acid :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

jonny68 wrote:
    Does anyone remember the Orb in the Point in 1994 i think it was,amazing from what i can remember i was completly fcuked on E's and Acid :D

Was there and me too, did my first e that night. Was trippin away on strawberries and was offered a white dove and went for it. Still stands out as one of my best nights ever. Defo going next Saturday, hope there is still tickets?

Felixdhc wrote:
    Was there and me too, did my first e that night. Was trippin away on strawberries and was offered a white dove and went for it. Still stands out as one of my best nights ever. Defo going next Saturday, hope there is still tickets?

No way :D that';s exactly what i done that nite white doves and a strawberry amazing eh..see ya there in 2 weeks eh,ill say ill be wearing a light green Lacoste Polo so if ya see me say hi :)

Thats mad, it was a good mix! tried again many a time after! will keep an eye for ya at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sounds great!

Are le petit Orb going to be doing a live set, or just DJ'ing?

Can I ask *why* the SFX? That place is a total sh*t hole, I thought the building had been closed down/condemned.

Yes indeed, this is a live set from the Orb in their 'le petit' guise. Patterson will be using decks n' fx, while Fehlmann will be on synths and computer. Expect some classics from the back catalogue as well as some great new soundscapes released recently on Kompakt and forthcoming tracks from the soon to be released new album.

Regarding the SFX. Well, we thinks its a great venue. It might be in a bit of a kip state, but we are transforming the place into a magical medevial wonderland for the evening. Its gonna be a really special setting. Also, the SFX has one of the best stages in the country, and the acoustics in the place are well regarded as being very sweet.

This is one not to be missed. Grab your tickets, and be there for whats sure to be a highlight gig of the summer.

www.electrixon.net

• Advertisement

will be getting mine next week,i think the SFX is a deadly spot for a Rave,had many great nites there over the years and this indeed does sound like the event of the summer :)

Le petit orb

okie dokie......?********************* Thomas Fehlmann was born on a mountain top, on a August blue moon.?********************* Alex Paterson was born on a common, on a crispy chilled Oktober morning.?***************?*******they met in the summer of 89 in London, after a night of music and fruit at?*******schoom they became friends and started recording on their occasional meetings.?*******their love *for brian eno, bargain bin and german electronics started a charged partnership.?*******aside from the orb they collaborated on ´FFWD´ with Robert Fripp in the summer of 93?*******as well as remixing various favourites along the way.?*******( can, tangerine dream, ulf lohmann etc).??*******walking the great wall of China together and witness the fall of the Berlin wall?*******first hand ,TF & AP as the orb, started recording mininal ambient pop 12" s for?******KOMPAKT *in the *summer of 2003. playing live as Le Petit Orb has since ?******become a favourite pastime pasta.??*******We are proud to annouce the arrival of our new album. Two years in the making,
    after much ohs and ahs, he he's and bastards! *it's here and it's *called:?******OKIE DOKIE IT'S THE ORB ON KOMPAKT DISCO?*******OUT 31/10/05.??facts: ****?******- first tune: ´outlands´ on the adventures beyond the ultraworld album ´91?******- highest albumchart position: no1 with U.F.ORB ´92 *******?**** - highlight: going to jamaica on primal screams expenses *´93?***** *FFWD album with robert fripp ´94?**** *- first LPO gig: fujirock ´00?** *- first kompakt 12"ep: kompassion ´03

le petit Orb live @ the SFX, Sat July 23 mmv

Online tickets on sale from:

www.tickets.ie

Retail tickets on sale from:

Spindizzy Records, Georges St Arcade, Dublin 2.
    Freebird Records, Eden Quay, Dublin 1.
    Talk & Surf, Wexford St, Dublin 2.
    Plugg'd Records, Washington St., Cork.
    Rotate Records, Henrietta St., Waterford

bump it up!

reminder

it
    is
    on

this weekend...!!!

Yes Yes im looking forward to this(will be my first time doing yokes since last summer as well) :D

Well I cant make it :mad: I have a stag thing to go to and if I didnt have that it would have been bro in laws birthday dinner. I'm sure I will hear how great it was :( Enjoy all who are going!

Was a good nite in the SFX last nite BUT i have to say im quite disapointed after paying €27.50 entrance the Orb didn't play any of their old stuff,in fact correct me if im wrong but they only played a dj set?Having said that the nite was really good and the set they played was fantastic and the visuals and decor,etc,etc was very good but i do feel somewhat ripped off aftter paying all that cash not to hear The Orb play their older stuff and some people i spoke to were saying the same.

I know that they were under their le petit guise but surely they could've played classics that we all know,ive no idea why they didn't?Mixmaster Morris is fantastic and plays some amazing tunes,i don't know who the band were there was some gilrl playing a massive Harp but they were also good,and The Orb themselves played a cracking dj set,were they also using an iMac laptop to mix as well or was i seeing things?

There was a nice crowd there as well(about 700) and a good vibe,overall it was a good nite,but for future reference it should be stated if they are not gonna do a live PA and play their older stuff but asides from that it was good

PS-Also i must have a rant about the bar,a fiver for a pint but it didn't look to be even a full pint,out of order :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

^agree with you there jonny... the orb were good but not great...lackluster was ****ing deadly the best thing of the night, well him and mixmaster morris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Actually, it was live, and they did play Toxygene at the very start, one of their classics. They wanted to play another few classics for the encore, but unfortunately the sfx management put the foot down. Most of the stuff was from their forthcoming album which they played live for the very first time, and from what I've heard of it, its going to be deadly.

Alex was using acid pressings until the last ten minutes when he did a bit of a dj set. Thomas was using a sampler/mixer, laptop, and compressors. This is almost as live as electronic music gets!

Did you expect church bells and tom toms?

fits wrote:
    Actually, it was live, and they did play Toxygene at the very start, one of their classics. They wanted to play another few classics for the encore, but unfortunately the sfx management put the foot down. Most of the stuff was from their forthcoming album which they played live for the very first time, and from what I've heard of it, its going to be deadly.

Alex was using acid pressings until the last ten minutes when he did a bit of a dj set. Thomas was using a sampler/mixer, laptop, and compressors. This is almost as live as electronic music gets!

Did you expect church bells and tom toms?

I must have been out for a smoke for that tune,i expected that they would at least play 6/7 of their classic tunes so im pissed off after paying €27.50 which is a serious amount of money to be paying into a club that they didn't and i wouldn't go again unless i knew for certain they would play tunes we knew,time yto sort it out :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

jonny68 wrote:
    I must have been out for a smoke for that tune,i expected that they would at least play 6/7 of their classic tunes so im pissed off after paying €27.50 which is a serious amount of money to be paying into a club that they didn't and i wouldn't go again unless i knew for certain they would play tunes we knew,time yto sort it out :mad:

I'm sorry but you paid to see to Orb and you got to see the Orb. You can't complain really.

• Advertisement

penexpers wrote:
    I'm sorry but you paid to see to Orb and you got to see the Orb. You can't complain really.

you bet your life after paying €27.50 i can complain if i don't get to hear Orb classics and not a load of tunes ive never heard of,as i said they played a good dj set but if your paying that much you expect to hear tunes you know :(

ELECTRIXON wrote:
    There was a few classics also thrown in for good measure, for those in the know!

I must have been dreaming because i certainly didnt hear them..good nite all the same though

Advertisement