Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for varnishing a Mahogany Front door

• 04-07-2005 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,850 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Need some help and advise on varnishing my Mahogany Front Door, I haven't varnished it since I moved in 5 years ago so original door varnish on it.
    Some people tell me I need to sand it down with course sandpaper first then fine sandpaper and then Varnish it giving it 2 coats, others say just give it a light sanding with light sandpaper and off you go! Also looking for clear varnish should I use quick dry varnish or what. Also should I get one of those sanding mice to do the hard work?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Snake ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,850 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Anyone help me? Not sure if to use clear varnish or Woodstain, its your typical 3 bed semi door with the 3 point locking mechanism on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Hey Folks,

Need some help and advise on varnishing my Mahogany Front Door, I haven't varnished it since I moved in 5 years ago so original door varnish on it.
    Some people tell me I need to sand it down with course sandpaper first then fine sandpaper and then Varnish it giving it 2 coats, others say just give it a light sanding with light sandpaper and off you go! Also looking for clear varnish should I use quick dry varnish or what. Also should I get one of those sanding mice to do the hard work?

Froma front door - give it a wash down with sugar soap and rinse to get all the grime off that might stop the varnish adhereing.

Lightly hand sand with a medium to fine paper

Varnish

Very lighty sand with fine paper

2nd coat varnish

Repeat in 5 years ;)

Whether you use stain or clear varnish is a matter of taste - me, I prefer wood to look as natural as possible, so I'd go clear. Gloss or Satin finish, again a metter of preference.

Use the quick drying stuff if you've kids/animals about, or you need to shut the door and go off and do things and can't wait hours :)

Hi Borzoi

Thanks for your advice, I went with the Satin Clear varnish and gave it the first coat today, will apply second tomorrow.

Cheers

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Sorry I knoits an old post but I have same issue. I am wondering if the results were successful and you have any tips???

wow old thread no wasn't happy with the results door still looked very faded didn't darken the door so last year went with a Mahogany varnish and brought the door back to look almost brand new think it was Ronseal Mahogany Satin buy a small tin and test it out on the door would be my advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement