Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Anyone Explain this

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Yook wrote:
    It took exactly 70 seconds to download the 8.7meg file.
    And to download 20 megs of the big files:
    Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD3.i586.iso
    took exactly 2 mins 20 seconds

Your getting around 125-145KBye/s on those.
    What was your max sustained speed???

Have you talked to others in your area with 2/1Mbit connections...and what type of speeds they get???
    Honestly though...wireless is not the best medium for internet connections...take a look st some of the IBB threads for proof.

If you can get DSL/Cable...then go for it as you will get a sustained 210K connection with 2Mbit DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

juliuspret wrote:
    Your getting around 125-145KBye/s on those.
    What was your max sustained speed???

Have you talked to others in your area with 2/1Mbit connections...and what type of speeds they get???
    Honestly though...wireless is not the best medium for internet connections...take a look st some of the IBB threads for proof.

If you can get DSL/Cable...then go for it as you will get a sustained 210K connection with 2Mbit DSL.

There is no sustained speed, it constantly hops from 140k to 40k to 180k to 90k to 80k yo 120k etc etc...

Would you say they are in breach of contract, they advertise being able to stream video, and Voip etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

unless you have your own dedicated line with just you on then they will always have an excuse for wavering and fluctuating speeds in the nice ready made contention and in addition they really never specify how much of a pipe your bunch of users got in the first place and if you read the contract this sort of thing is said in much posher language!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 patriotIE

Yook wrote:
    There is no sustained speed, it constantly hops from 140k to 40k to 180k to 90k to 80k yo 120k etc etc...

Would you say they are in breach of contract, they advertise being able to stream video, and Voip etc.
    Welcome to wireless. You'll just have to live with it I'm afraid. If you can get dsl in your area you should. I remember I had wireless and i was in the same boat as you. Soon as i got dsl it was a different story altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

juliuspret, you can either cop on or get banned. Your choice. No more warnings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement