Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Opeth Album?

Options
  • 04-07-2005 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Which Opeth album would you reccomend getting? I suppose I would like one with both side on it. Ive heard Credence, Deliverence and Demon Of The Fall. I was looking at their albums in HMV and didnt know hither from tither, the one with the photo of them in the evening light on the back caught my eye, pretty much because that is a lovely picture :) So what should I get? I hear they are playing here again..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

This has been discussed before, but, I recommened Morningrise or Blackwater Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Blackwater Park is what I'd say. Haven't actually heard Morningrise yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

'Blackwater Park' or else 'My Arms, Your Hearse' (which has both Demon of the Fall and Credence)

Ah, two things:

Where did you hear Opeth were coming back to Ireland?
    Do HMV have their summer sale on and is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Geiger wrote:
    Ah, two things:

Where did you hear Opeth were coming back to Ireland?
    Do HMV have their summer sale on and is it any good?

Have a look at Emerald something, I'll look for you. Give me a minute.

EDIT: Here you go.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks for the link. If they're playing England in September they might as well cross the water and play here. I've never seen Opeth live before, hopefully I'll make it this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Still Life tbh, that was the first album I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Blackwater Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

As far as I know it's almost 100% they are coming to Ireland, just hasn't been confirmed officially yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I really hope the play here, ive only started listening to them in january but i havent been able to stop.. :D Id recommend either blackwater park or still life. Deliverance is a cool album too but id rate BP and SL higher. Reckon ill get my arms, your hearse next, ive only heard april ethereal off it, but its an excellent track

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

1. Still Life
    2. Blackwater Park
    3. My Arms, Your Hearse
    4. Damnation
    5. Orchid
    6. Morningrise
    7. Deliverance.

TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

Blackwater Park or Still Life

Pretty much confirmed for Nov. Can't wait to see 'em. Missed em last time in Dooblin

Has anyone heard the new song? not heard it myself but its not getting great reports so far from what ive heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Damnation, Deliverence, Blackwater Park, and My Arms Your Hearse.
    So are they playing????? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've only got Damnation and Blackwater Park, but Blackwater Park is my favourite of the two.

damnation is my fave, its so " I want to kill myself!"

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

I think "Blackwater Park" is their easiest to get into, but since you already seem to be into them i'd recommend "Still Life".
    They were brilliant last time they played in Whelans, pitty the crowd didn't really seem to be into them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Le Rack wrote:
    damnation is my fave, its so " I want to kill myself!"

Must... resist... urge...

Blackwater Park is a very well produced album, the best of the ones I have in terms of production. I love My Arms, Your Hearse because it's one long story, but that can put some people off. Orchid is a fantastic album as well, not as perfectly produced as Blackwater Park, but a masterpiece of a debut. Those are the three I have, and oyu couldn't go a step wrong with any of them. Any news on where they migth be playing? I need somewhere not too strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Will the gig definitely be over 18s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Still Life is my fav, but BWP and all of their albums are worth getting.They're likely to be coming here in November, and 2003 in Whelan's was one of the best gigs ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Blackwater Park

Can't wait to see them live if they come here, I wonder will they mostly play their accustic stuff or will they play their heavier stuff which I prefer. Their dvd release from a london gig last year mainly had their accustic stuff which I was slgihtly dissapointed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

That was because they had just released Damnation. Future tours will have an emphasis on the heavier side of things as they usually do i'd expect.

so any word, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

I just got Blackwater Park its really good. :)

Kare Bear wrote:
    I just got Blackwater Park its really good. :)

the drapery falls :D
    love that track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

My fav album is Deliverence, that might be cause it was the first album i bought and the one i listened to most, My Arms, Your Hearse is brilliant too!
    I just picked up Blackwater Park recently, must stick it on there actually!
    If they really are playing in November, I'm there.

Advertisement