Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you get into FF games?

Options
  • 04-07-2005 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

Just a matter of general interest. I started by complete chance when I bought FF VII in Electronics Boutique on Dawson Street when it had just become platinum, jesus that was years ago now. Can't really remember what made me buy it but it just caught me eye.

And although that particular copy has become lost, it remains one of my favourite games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

My first taste was in my parents friends house in Sligo... they had a SNES and 'borrowed' games off their neighbours like 'Super Tennis' etc... and one day the spoils contained a final fantasy game, 6 i think (well 3 as it was PAL)... and thats the end of THAT story

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A friend kept going on about how Final Fantasy VII was the best game ever. Didn't have a PS1 at the time but had the game on the PC. However my PC was crap and couldn't run the game faster than about 4fps. Eventually got a PS1 and got a lend of the game. He was right, it was the best game ever. After I finished it I bought myself the platinum version, every Squaresoft game and any other RPGs I could find. The rest is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeah, same here. Started with VII, back in '97 when i got my first part time job (had just turned 16) and splashed some money out on the 'PS1 + 1 controller + 1 memory card' package. So i picked out the little-known (to me anyways) FFVII because all the magazines were raving about it.

Goddamn, that was a good first-time buy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

FF 7 was the first thing I ever bought purely on advertising, it seemed like Square had spent a bundle on advertising at the time cause evrerytime I put on the TV the ad was there. It looked so good that I demanded it as my Christmas present that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I played 7 at my cousin house long before I could understand how it worked but it left the right mark...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think it was back in 1998 my brother who lives in Japan was home for 2 weeks and he bought some games here to bring back with him (yeah I know... that seems like it's the wrong way around.) But one of the titles he picked up was Final Fantasy VII for the PC.

He wanted to make sure the games all worked before he brought them back to Japan so he installed FF VII on my PC. I got really stuck into it then... but I never got to complete it before my brother took it back to Japan.

I'm trying to remember how far I got into it... one of the last things I remember was the confrontation between Barret and some other guy with a gun arm...

I actually managed to buy a copy of the Playstation version only last week off a fellow boards.ie user. I haven't found much time to play it yet, but I am enjoying it alot and I have so many vague memories of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'm trying to remember how far I got into it... one of the last things I remember was the confrontation between Barret and some other guy with a gun arm...

I actually managed to buy a copy of the Playstation version only last week off a fellow boards.ie user. I haven't found much time to play it yet, but I am enjoying it alot and I have so many vague memories of it.

You're not too far into it at all, I suggest you find some time for it man.

Seems VII was a popular place to start for most people here, can't really surprised tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

grimloch wrote:
    You're not too far into it at all, I suggest you find some time for it man.
    Yeah.. didn't think I was...

I hope everyone here is insanely jealous that I get to play through it all for the first time... haha..

I really don't know why I never got a copy of it before now. I have gotten VIII, X, X-2, Tatics for GBA and Crystal Cronicles over the years.

I'm a big fan of the Japanese RPG games... and FF VII was the first one I played. Chronotrigger is my favourite though... actually it's probably my favourite game of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

First RPG i bought was Alundra on PS1 , pretty cool game that got me into the genre. Not long after i had it the advertising for FFVII came out , needless to say i bought a copy of it on release day and still have it in original case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

FF7. That was the one that got my interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I remember a friend of mine going on about how great FF7 was but every time I saw him play it, I wasn't too interested...until FF8 came out and I instantly became hooked.
    The rest is history :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Galway22

well my story is different, i first bought kingdom hearts and played it, i saw the Final Fantasy Characters Such As Cloud, aerith and such. I liked them so much i wanted to buy there game, unfortunatly i couldnt, but i did buy Final fantasy X, then i was hooked. And the rest is history :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'll probably get weird looks for saying this but it was FF8 that piqued my interest. I had played a demo of 7 on the pc and thought it looked and played like crap.

Bought 8 because everyone at that stage was going on about ff and had to give it a proper good go, found it pretty cheap. have since played through 1,2,4,5,6,7,9 and a rake of other rpgs. Not touched 10 or 10-2 though, don' have a ps2.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Brother kept playing VII on the PS1 and totally annoyed me because its not really a casual spectator game. Was in the States and saw it for the PC and thought "Why not".

Played it, couldn't get enough and now have gone through them all except for X-2 which is sitting on my desk waiting for me to get the time to play it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Panserborn wrote:
    Played it, couldn't get enough and now have gone through them all except for X-2 which is sitting on my desk waiting for me to get the time to play it!

Do yourself a favour and burn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Do yourself a favour and burn it.
    Id love to use the 'you cant uninstall evil' line here... buts a damn console game.

But seriously, sprinkle it with holy water and then burn it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i rented vii in november 97. god i mustve rented it about 30 times! i remember beatin the first boss and thinkin 'i rock at this game!' didnt get it til christmas. it was grand coz i was at gold saucer by christmas! it was and still is the best. game. ever.

edit: my mistake, was it nov 98? when did it some out over here again :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

Well my story will be unique on this thread... I only got into Final Fantasy this weekend!

Years ago when VII was the first RPG to really make it big in the "mainstream" a cousin lent my brother a copy for the PS1. We messed around with it, didn't get to grips with it and returned it, somewhat bemused at all the fuss surrounding this confusing Japanese game.

Anyway, eight years passed (****! 1997 is a long time ago ain't it) and several friends rave about FF but being consoleless the buzz passed me buy. Unitl Sunday last when I decided to treat myself to a second hand PS2. Great idea as I head into Final Year eh?

Well picked up four games at the weekend, one of which being FF X. I have fallen for it hook line and sinker and play nothing else on my new PS2. It's stunningly beautiful for a computer game, the battles are fun and not half as confusing as I remember from VII. My first game of blitz ball proved to be a bit of a letdown but overall I'm LOVING my time in Spira.

FFX roxketh my world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Marth

my friend was hooked on it for a long time and then i got FFX and couldn't stop playing...well until i got hungry that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Vordaci

Marth wrote:
    my friend was hooked on it for a long time and then i got FFX and couldn't stop playing...well until i got hungry that is.

Food became immaterial 2 me, i would come home from skool at 3.30 nd paly til 10 every day.
    i got into FF in '99, it was jst after de release of VIII nd de 'rents got me de wrong game 4 x-mas. i wanted VIII got VII. So i was playin catch up for a few yrs. but finally ive got through 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, nd some of de spin offs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Vordaci wrote:
    but finally ive got through 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, nd some of de spin offs.
    Is that a typo or did you miss out on playing the best game in the series - FFVI ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I distinctly remember picking up FFIX for €9.
    And then, a few years later, FFVII for €7.
    ...Co-incidence, surely? ;) ...

FFIX has been the only one I've finished, though; I never had the time for the others after I found them.
    Anyway, I would have to say that turn-based battle systems can be annoyingly restrictive at times. That's why I'm playing Grandia 2 ATM :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I remember watchin a mate playin through Final fantasy 7. that s how I saw most playstation stuff cause i had never owned one until I got a ps2 a few omnth back and I only got it cause i got it cheap due to where i work.

I had no ps1 games and then some fool traded in VI, VII and VIII in absolute mint condition on the ps1 and I got them for 2-3 euro each. :D I had played six on an emulator before and i liked what i played but i havnt finished any. I played about 6 hours of VI. about 8 hours of VII and never put VIII into my ps2. I will go back to VII very soon. I am after seeing the whole sephiroth - JENOVA thing. i think that's where i last played to. not sure though. maybe a bit after. is there a lot more on disc one? yea I know what happens at the end. dont wanna see it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Vordaci

SofaKing wrote:
    Is that a typo or did you miss out on playing the best game in the series - FFVI ? :eek:

Unfortunately, no!! I was never able 2 get my hands on a copy of it. I have since moved on to the entire Metal Gear series, but that is a story for another board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Sugarbear

I remember playing hours upon hours of Final Fantasy IV on the SNES along side all the other old favs, I can't remember exactly how old I was....except that I tried to teach my sister how to play and she was still wearing nappies! Ahh the memories... :p

was that final fantasy 2 over here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Sugarbear

FFIV was FF 3 over here I think!

no VI was defo 3 in the USA so i assume the same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hopeless

was never into rpg's, I remember watching people play FFVII and having no clue how the battles work and what in the world is going on.

then moved in with mates last year and we had a ps2 and FFX was lying around, so one lonely weekend I picked it up thinking 'meh, I suppose I'll give it a try to see what all the fuss is about. doubt it I'll get into it though'

Needless to say nobody saw much of me after that. I was glued and addicted.

Playing through VII now. :)

• Advertisement

FFIV was FF2 in America. It never received a european release.

Advertisement