Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrelandOffline to meet the EC in Dublin July 2005

Options
  • 04-07-2005 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

IrelandOffline will be meeting representatives from the Information Society section of the European Commission during their annual visit to Dublin. While it will be a brief meeting we hope to present the views and experiences of the Irish Consumer in regards to competition and regulation in the Irish telecoms environment.

*goes to Iron his suit*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

I wish you luck and hope that shame might stop eircom being assholes!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

damien.m wrote:
    IrelandOffline will be meeting representatives from the Information Society section of the European Commission during their annual visit to Dublin. While it will be a brief meeting we hope to present the views and experiences of the Irish Consumer in regards to competition and regulation in the Irish telecoms environment.

Make sure they know about the sub 50% DSL availability to the Citizen here and the ongoing cover up by Comreg .

Mention the Comreg' hear no evil' consumer panel

Do inform them of the status of FIA at 0k nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

A comparison between the success of automated LLU in Italy, and Eircom's insistance that they can't comprehend any automated mechanism for doing it here should be a nice conclusion.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

damien.m wrote:

*goes to Iron his suit*

Damien

I just spotted this now. When are you seeing the EC officials?

Very glad that they have included Ireland OffLine in their round up or 'mission' to Ireland. I guess this is implementation report work (?), number 11 report is due out in November or December 2005. Your groups contributions will be important.

Line rental prices highest in EU 25, broadband penetration lowest 4 in EU 25 etc. eircom product launch strategies and also mobile ARPU are big issues.

Best of luck and **well done** on influencing this to happen, they don't meet just anyone.

Wear the suit, make an impression and send the ripples out into ComReg and DCMNR that IOFFL is a powerful voice and here to stay.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think it also might be interesting to find out what them EU fellas understand by the words "universal", "service" and "obligation".

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

SkepticOne wrote:
    I think it also might be interesting to find out what them EU fellas understand by the words "universal", "service" and "obligation".

They may not comment on this as there's a Commission direction due on this in the coming months.

Attached is a rough first draft of a response to the European Commission's consultation on universal service - available at: http://www.europa.eu.int/information_society/topics/ecomm/doc/useful_information/library/public_consult/universal_service/documents/504_25_us_review_communication_final_en.pdf

Of particular interest is the invitation by the Commission to start commenting on the future framework for Universal Service as this will provide a good starting point for discussions on the 2006 Review, and we should have made some preliminary suggestions in the draft as to how to address these forward-looking issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Well, I think one is entitled to ask what it means right now regardless of whether it is likely to be changed in the future. It either means something or it means nothing. It is part of the current regulatory framework. What does it mean? What is the intention behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Unfortunately we will be on an extremely tight schedule with very limited time available.

We have an agreed agenda already submitted, USO will be covered as part of the discussion

Rest assured we will make best use of the time available

John

P.S. I'll make sure the carnation Damien wears matches his tie :D

Advertisement