Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shure E3 Headphones

Options
  • 05-07-2005 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

right my sennheisers (mx500's) are packing in, anytime i use the in-line volume changer or twiddle the input jack i get a crackling sound of these headphones.

I'm thinking of splashing out on the Shure's E3's (as the E3c's are white i don't want them).

now I know these guys are held in pretty high regard for their products but i just have a few questions.

1. i was watching "the gadget show" on bravo and one of the reviewers wanted to see what were the best noise cancelling earphones. He had a microphone in his ear for the other test sets, but for the shures he obiviously had to take it out. now what i'd like to know is do they actually work as good as he said. He said he couldn't hear a thing from the plane and he had his audio device at only 50% volume (doubt that's a good measure as different decvices different volumes).

now after that long passage i'd like to know if anyone has used these headphones on a plane and could verify this complete noise cancelling experience. could you also state the audio device you used too.

2. on the shure site they have a detailed flash movie showing how you should wear the headphones, where the cable goes from the ear pieces around the top of your ear and down the back of your neck, is that really necessary?

sorry if this seems like a big fuss over nothing but if i'm going to spend a €100+ on a set of ear bud headphones you can probably understand these trivial questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bedlam wrote:
    They area great at noise reduction. Haven't had a chance to bring them on a flight yet. Using them on the bus I can barely hear the engine noise when using them with an iPod (2nd gen) with the sound barely passed 5% where as I used to have it at about 75% and still had difficulty hearing when using the iPod headphones in certain situations.

With regard to wearing them over the ear, this is the most comfortable and secure way and doesn't take very long to get used to putting them on in a hurry. You could probably get away with not looping the cable over the ear but the way they are designed it may be a bit awkward any other way.
    do you any place where i can buy them on the cheap? (i.e the cheapest place to buy them)

i saw that site on another thread but i was weary of getting stung for import duty.

What are the consequences of marking the package down as $8? what if they don't arrive? am i only entitled to $8 ?

ahh cool, i'll order them so, now where to get the money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Cremo, would you mind pm me to let me know how you get on with getting these please? I'm interested in getting the E3s as well.......
    Thanks.

it will be a while before i have enough money to purchase these guys, probably by the end of summer.

• Advertisement

hey guys i've finally got the money to get these and i'm goning to buy off ebay (they're $114 there opposed to 121.99 at earphone solutions)

now my only problem is if they get lost in the post. the seller said he'd mark them down no problem but what happens if they get lost, can i only claim back $50?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You can only claim what value he puts on the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I was actually given a pair to try out for a shop, I found them very uncomfortable and akward to put in your ear in a hurry, They do cancel out the sound very well, but it also means if anyone talks to you, you have to take them out everytime, also the way the cable goes down your back can be very annoying if you move around in the chair. They lack bass is nearly every type of music and are just not worth the money or the effort. Ive gone back to using my Sennheiser Mx500 for my earbuds and the PX200's for overheads.

They just dont work in everyday use, you cant use them cycling for safty reasons and if your walkinga round town shopping it would drive you nuts taking them in/out every few min's.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Quick impressions in a shop can be misleading, as much as you'd think it was the most accurate way to judge whether to buy or not. Every bit of Hifi equipment (earphones included) worth it's money takes some time to burn-in, most sound 'cold' and lifeless out of the box. My current pair took about a week to really open up and make me believe they were worth the cash, another week to blow me away.
    As for walking around busy areasit is a bit odd at first. I have a pair of Etymotic 4p's that I use for the portable, the noise cancellation always makes me think I'm in the middle of a cheap music video, all those people yet nothing but the music...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Bought mine (E3s) from earphonesolutions without a problem. Also they were marked cheap on the customs declaration but I didnt ask them to mark it down so there may have been some comeback if they didnt arrive.
    Sound quality is v good - thought they were a little flat sounding at first but they either improved with age or my ears changed - anyway I love the sound now :)
    I dont find them uncomfortable at all the wear, they feel alot nicer than my e2cs, very light. My only complaint really is that you only get one set of foam covers - and mine are mankey now

• Advertisement
Advertisement