Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Notice: Everyone read this thread

• 05-07-2005 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I am aware that I am not a mod of this forum, but I feel this needs to be said.

Over the last few weeks people have been slated for giving tips which do not have a success rate of 100%. It is impossible for anyone (even the pros) to give such a high standard tiping rate.

If people continue to slate tipsters on this forum, these tipsters will eventually leave boards and go elsewhere. I know from personal experience that being slated for giving a tip that did not win is very off putting and will drive people away from this forum. Stop the hostility. I am not mentioning any names, but it is very obvious who I am talking about by reading the threads over the last two or three weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Very Very Very well said.. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭bullock

Guess that was directed at me ..... Sorry!!!!

bullock wrote:
    Guess that was directed at me ..... Sorry!!!!

Not only at you mate. Dont worry everyone has to learn.. just gotta relax and ask questions about the horses we pick before you back them so you can make your own decisions :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

sjones wrote:
    If people continue to slate tipsters on this forum, these tipsters will eventually leave boards and go elsewhere.

Elsewhere ............ where they will be on the receiving end of some serious flak also. It happens on all forums mate, it's universal. If a poster puts up his fancies then he has to expect some criticism when they finish outside the first three more often than being in the frame. Personally, I can hold my hands up and say that I have never slagged off another member who has posted losing tips but I can understand people who would be driven to it. Seriously, some internet "tipsters" should have a health warning attached to them. Tipstering isn't a good career choice for shrinking violets or sensitive types. Just as a tipster should be recognised and applauded for his winner-picking ability, so also must a woeful tipster expect some level of rebuke if his perseveres with atrocious and costly "advice".

In a way, criticism of a chronically awful tipster can have a positive effect in that the "tipster" in question might be dissuaded though embarrassment and shame to desist from continuing to cost the gullible and naive their hard-earned wedge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Elsewhere ............ where they will be on the receiving end of some serious flak also. It happens on all forums mate, it's universal. If a poster puts up his fancies then he has to expect some criticism when they finish outside the first three more often than being in the frame. Personally, I can hold my hands up and say that I have never slagged off another member who has posted losing tips but I can understand people who would be driven to it. Seriously, some internet "tipsters" should have a health warning attached to them. Tipstering isn't a good career choice for shrinking violets or sensitive types. Just as a tipster should be recognised and applauded for his winner-picking ability, so also must a woeful tipster expect some level of rebuke if his perseveres with atrocious and costly "advice".

In a way, criticism of a chronically awful tipster can have a positive effect in that the "tipster" in question might be dissuaded though embarrassment and shame to desist from continuing to cost the gullible and naive their hard-earned wedge.

I don't agree with you - at all. If everyone who posts a loosing tip gets slated then it will prevent people from posting tips in the future, for fear of getting slated. Tips are exactly that, only tips - there is no certainty. You are placing the bet of your own accord, going solely on the tipsters advice is not very smart. Nobody is forcing you to place the bet. Therefore you cannot hold the tipster responsible if the tip looses. Slating a tipster is very childish, and has not led to the removal of bad tipsters from other boards, but the best tipsters on these boards have left, due to the flak everyone was wishing to deal out.

Expecting a 100% tip success rate is ridiculous. If you take a tip, be prepared for it to loose. Do not flak that person - he wasn't the jockey. Giving the person flak will do absolutely no good whatsoever.

• Advertisement

so your saying let people complain about other posters? no offence but dont be so bloody stupid. were not holding a gun against there head in order to place the bet. its simply tips we have. its there own fault if betting and it loses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

blahblah06 wrote:
    Not only at you mate. Dont worry everyone has to learn.. just gotta relax and ask questions about the horses we pick before you back them so you can make your own decisions :D
    like how many legs has it got, etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

I think it was written here previously by a moderator that if you are to put tips on the site, you should give an explanation why you are putting your selection for a race as a tip.

To my mind there is a world of difference between a tip and a selection - a tip is an inside word from connections, probably short for tip-off - however if we want selections it is easy to read any newspaper.

People shouldnt be slagged for putting up selections, but why post selections on a message board? I preume it is to let others know that you think a horse will win. You should at least give a one-liner as to why. You should feel some small responsibility for publishing the tip. If you get it wrong but the methods you use to select your horse are worthwhile and valid, it will be obvious to intellegent posters that you are worth listening to. But when you list horses naems with no analytical detail involved you cant expect the credit when you get it right, and not the slack when you get it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Morgans has hit the nail on the head there. What for the most part is posted on this messageboard are selections and not tips. For me the main purpose for posting selections is to encourage feedback from other posters.

An explanation of a selection is imperative to encourage any sort of intelligent debate as to the merits of that selection. If somebody wants to back another persons selections blindly then be my guest, but a word of warning, you will most likely lose in the long run.

The main benefit of explaining the reasoning behind a selection is that others can back up your argument or point out any oversights on the posters pick.
    Once this feedback/response to others selections are made in a constructive manner whether they are agreeing or disagreeing then it should be encouraged.

Novices to the sport should feel free to post their opinions/selections and I'm sure those more experienced will be more than happy to provide feedback. It's the best way to see where you're going wrong as well have pointed out to you factors in picking a horse you may have never considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Tips should go in the tips thread at the top, everything else should be considered discussion on the merits of a given selection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Exactly, and should a tip or a selection not come through, should the person be slated? - I don't think so.

From now on, I for one will certainly add more info to my selections.
    Thanks for this discussion guys, I think it needed to be addressed.

Advertisement