Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Restuarant

• 05-07-2005 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭

Will be in galway this weekend, and would like some recommendations for a good but not too madly expensive place to have dinner.

City centre only tho :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

que 517 McSwiggan's responses.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Royal Villa on Shop St. (Chinese, Thai, Malaysian)
    Lemongrass on the Spanish Arch (Again, Asian)
    Cactus Jack's just down beside The Quays bar on Quay St. (Tex-Mex, nice place)

That'll get you started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Da Tang Noodle house on middle street (? ) well across the road from charlie byrnes bookshop anyway.

Do we have any nice indian restuarants in this city anymore?

indian: either Tulsi(Beside Augustine Church) or Eastern Tandoori on Spanish Parade.

Tulsi has plenty of Bridgestone guide awards for authentic ethnic cuisine. Not too expensive either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

nah for indian it is the Kumars- taste of asia at the spansih Arch.
    Or Kashmir, its across the bridge from the Spanish Arch(cant think of the road name)

• Advertisement

Gotta say I've been to the Kashmir youre talking about and got a serious dose off it. As far as I remember it was expensive dose too! Vowed never to go back.

Kumars, I think that's the one on the corner yeah? Did it used to be the Clay Oven or something? I was there once under the previous name, and I thought it was quite good, although not as good as its neighbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

you won't go wrong down the quay street / spanish arch area.

that's where the crowds will be so you'll know by observing , where the popular places are.

lemon grass is quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

i'm a serious curry fanatic, the only place i'd eat curry in Galway is Tulsi. fantastic staff and fantastic food.

the rest are pretenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Oscars. Nicest restuarant in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭shakaman

If you like Italian you won't beat Fat Freddy's on Quay St.

Just ask the guy on the door for a table, there'll more than likely be a wait but he'll come across the road to collect you after you've had a drink while you're waiting....perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

shakaman wrote:
    If you like Italian you won't beat Fat Freddy's on Quay St.

Just ask the guy on the door for a table, there'll more than likely be a wait but he'll come across the road to collect you after you've had a drink while you're waiting....perfect

That new place down in Foster Court, is it ammoretti or something, is top class. Food is great, I think they are a chain, but i have to say, the food is far from bland like it can be in some chains...I would really classify Fat freedys as a total italien, but its nice.

If you liek Thai, then Thai Garden down near jurys, across from Eastern Tandori. Park house resturant off the bus station is the business as well, but it can be a little expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you venture out Salthill direction, Schooners (above the aquarium) and either of the Da Roberta's (both across from the church) are unmissable (although the new place is a little more expensive).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

TheLedge wrote:
    Gotta say I've been to the Kashmir youre talking about and got a serious dose off it. As far as I remember it was expensive dose too! Vowed never to go back.

Kumars, I think that's the one on the corner yeah? Did it used to be the Clay Oven or something? I was there once under the previous name, and I thought it was quite good, although not as good as its neighbour.

well i liked kasmirs, itsx great for lunch tho(E8) for the lot.

yea kumars used to be clay ovan, its a new idian, under new mangement(Kumar :P)

anohter good 1 is Bombay Palace its, by the town hall(again cant think of the name of the street) you cant go wrong wither teher chiken ticka massala with fried rice (mmmm)

hmm i was asking about the indian because I've gone right off the kasmir after getting a couple of crap take aways. I used to love the food there but when the chicken starts getting tough, its time to find a new indian.

Must try out that tulsi place. Had a really nice meal in an indian out in castletroy in limerick at the weekend , the place was nothing to look at but the food was spot on.

Buckfast wrote:
    If you venture out Salthill direction, Schooners (above the aquarium) and either of the Da Roberta's (both across from the church) are unmissable (although the new place is a little more expensive).

have they opened a new Da Robertas?? Class! My favourite restaurant bar none!

Where is it? is it big?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

TheLedge wrote:

Where is it? is it big?

It's a lot bigger than the original place .... its about five doors up (it used to be an indian restaurant that was always empty). Great food again, but as I said, a bit more pricey ... it's always wedged too!

TheLedge wrote:

Where is it? is it big?

yup the food is great, but the staff/owners are fairly ignorant/rude.

great stuff. i'm flying in for the weekend so i'll try an get in there at some stage.

I've always found Roberta & Sandro very nice people though.

I had takeaway from that Indian before. it wasn't bad but wasn't great either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Thai Garden, Spanish arch again, is also fabulous. Thai food, you'll be amazed to know.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dundhoone wrote:
    And with strange ideas on how to seat people in a restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Dundhoone wrote:

ah, they're not too bad besides the food is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is a spanish? restaurant on Mary Street, kinda across from Homeplate. Brilliant pizzas and pasta. Called Rosa's or something like it.

La Salsa is always nice too

Advertisement