Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is eircom messing around with speeds again?

• 05-07-2005 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

A person i know has noticed that his 2Mb connection has changed to

512kbps down ... 128kbps up

Has anyone logged into their modem to check this lately?

Dara.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RiotSirC

Data Rate (Kbps) Downstream: 1952 Upstream: 128

still ok. but as usual I've got another problem. DSL keeps d/c randomly, sometimes every 30 seconds, sometimes 30 mins, or it could keep going all day. Been happening over a week now. They've always got something screwed up. Test your speed again, might've jsut been a random misreading... o_0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thread on that here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=275404

Could you post more details on this , eg did he ever get the full 2Mbit and is he being charged to downgrade when Eircom were aware that his line could not support 2Mbits all along ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RiotSirC

update on this.

a tech jut rang me bout 30mins ago jsut after I posted that last one. The reason for my constant d/c was I was running an older FirmWare version. When I upgraded to the new version it reset my speeds to 512k and 128 up. This is possibly what happened with you. The speeds have evened out now though and I'm back up to the full 2 meg speeds. Like I said this may have just been a random error from your modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭kazper

i am using eircom broadbad, pretty happy with speed, but how do i check what speed i am actually getting?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kazper wrote:
    i am using eircom broadbad, pretty happy with speed, but how do i check what speed i am actually getting?

www.irishisptest.com

• Advertisement

have used irish isp test, my router is telling me 1024/128, irishisptest is giving me 833/104??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Router tells me 2048/128 and irishiptest is saying 1.71 down and 102 up. So normal over here then. No issues I've come across recently, although I've only been browsing lately.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kazper wrote:
    have used irish isp test, my router is telling me 1024/128, irishisptest is giving me 833/104??

The test results are fairly typical for your connection so you can relax:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

kazper wrote:

Thats fairly normal - you never get the full speed due to various overheads associated with tcp/ip

thanks for the info guys, thougt i was missing out on something lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

humaxf1 wrote:

Has anyone logged into their modem to check this lately?

Dara.

how do u log into your modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Typically,

IP address is 192.168.1.254

(Unless you have bought one seperate from the netopia ones offered by Eircon)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

WellyJ wrote:
    (Unless you have bought one seperate from the netopia ones offered by Eircon)

And if you have to ask how to log in you probably didn't buy a seperate router :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

CuLT wrote:
    And if you have to ask how to log in you probably didn't buy a seperate router :)

This is true :D

Advertisement