Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China - Ethernet problems?

Options
  • 05-07-2005 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been trying to troubleshoot a problem in China, the user in question has a dell X1 laptop and I am trying to connect him to a broadband service in his hotel through the onboard nic however when we enabled the connection it instantly dies. :confused::confused::confused:

The laptop itself is fine and was working grand in Dublin last week.

Does anyone know of any problems with Chinese broadband that I might have missed? :cool:

thanx,
    /Kone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

"...however when we enabled the connection it instantly dies."

Do you mean in network connections? The icon goes disabled and greyed out???

try uninstalling & loading uptodate drivers for the NIC, if you can get them.

Do they use DHCP? Make sure you have "Obtain IP automatically" checked.

Dara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

The icon is there and when I enable it it disappears, strange...

Updated drivers have been installed.

DHCP cannot enabled on a connection that doesn't exist! ;-)

thanks for trying though...

/Kone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Kone wrote:
    The icon is there and when I enable it it disappears, strange...
    /Kone

It disappears as it is active. (Check the checkbox 'Show icon in notification area when connected' on the general tab of the LAN properties window if you want the icon to stay in the system tray.)

So as far as the pc is concerned the ethernet connection is good (i.e. not a physical cabling issue).

Run an ipconfig from the dos prompt and you will see if he is getting an ip address.

Advertisement