Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longer flight times with a F27 Stryker

Options
  • 05-07-2005 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi
    I recently obtained an F27 Stryker and need to invest in a few more batteries for it.
    It came with an 8.4 900mah NIMH which I find dosent drive the 480 motor to well.
    Does any body out there have a stryker and if so, did they upgrade it. I'm currently waiting for 9.6v 1050mah batteries to come back in to stock at cheapbatterypacks.com, but while I wait, have been wondering should I go with lipo?

Syl77. :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

No 480 motor should be sold with nimh 900s, they don't have enough power to fully run the motor.
    If you have a cheap 480 in there then the KAN 1050s will be an upgradefrom the 900s, (but your weight goes up too).
    But if it is the Race 480 BB U have, then it can pull 25 amps, but the 1050s certainly cannot deliver that continuously. Despite all the claims, 1050s do 17-18 amps for 30 seconds only, then U better go down to 12 amps, which is where they want to live.
    So it all depends on what 480 U got with the Stryker, I'm guessing they put the cheapest one on the planet in to to keep the price down, but that's only my guess.
    In the unlikely event U got the hot 480, U would be better off with 1100s (better for high amps) or the CP1300 that is hard to get now. Both are good for 20 amps, and the 1300s can hold their voltage at that level for a full flight.
    Where are U based? Cos all that stuff is available (in stock too) in Dublin....

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Hi Coolwings,
    The Spec says “Powerful 480 motor and large control surfaces” , not sure if that’s a cheap motor or not. Why they then included 900s? I don’t know!
    Now that I look again, the battery’s I am waiting for are actually 9.6 1100s, so maybe they will be better for the motor…cheap or not.
    At the moment, the Stryker comes with stock electrics, which means the RX and ESC are one, I will, in time replace these along with the servos but for know they do. Will check out tonight what type output is on the ESC.
    I also heard of retiming the motor and also breaking it in underwater. Has anyone done either.

Galway based,
    Syl77

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Hi Syl77
    I just looked up the model weight, GP1100s are dearer, but it will sing with them inside.

I'm willing to bet that U can get a lot more by tuning the prop to suit the new setup ... does it already have a carbon prop?
    Or is it the white round tip Gunther prop?

I hate the Rx & ESC being "one" :mad: , not good for moving into other models when model eventually dies.

Forget about breaking the motor in underwater, it's an American fetish :)
    We run brushed motors in this side of the Atlantic (all European now :D ) by running slow for an hour, on a low voltage battery, eg a "D" cell wired direct to the motor until it's empty, or a low voltage pack from a lesser model.

You know the motor by the shaft, if it's 2.3mm its the "cheap 480" more of an upgraded 400 really. We have 'em for a tenner. But if it's a 3.2mm shaft, then it's a good 480, more efficient, able for more power. Then if it has bushings it's the Race 480, but if it's ball raced its the Race 480BB 7.2 volt, which is double the rpm of the basic one.

Timing is best done with a timing tool. Send me a PM, if necessary, but U need two small holes in the back to do it easily. It increases performance by maybe 5%. I time all my 400's. Takes 60 seconds. Most 480s are harder to time cos no holes in back .... tools required.

Advertisement