Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to BB - protection software?

• 05-07-2005 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm changing from dial-up to broadband. My old laptop had AVG professional on it and this worked great while on dial-up.

I've now purchased a new laptop and would like to know what software to use to protect my system? Preferably freeware.
    I'm presume I need more than just a virus checker - have read about firewalls (zonealarm), spyware & adware.
    Is the free AVG good?
    So, what would you recommend?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

norton antivirus 2005 is the latest out there mate and is very good
    avg is ok used it a couple of times
    its just a basic free antivirus

for a standalone free firewall try here

http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if you want a fast&efficient anti-virus that wont interfere with other applications or slow things down, i recommend nod32 myself, since for the past 7 years running i believe it has caught 100% of ALL unknown/wild viruses.

As for a firewall, if you are connecting to your BB via a router or a combo modem (which has a few ports built in to connect other PCs) then you wont need one really unless you want stats/loggin etc or to customize what it blocks and what not ( like restricting apps from accessing the net and the like )

adaware and spysweeper are an excellent combo to use together when trying to clean out the usual add/hi-jack/tracking crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Try out Trend Micro Pc-Cillin!!!

Stay the hell away from Norton AV 2005 as its a bloated pile of sh!t.
    Yes I own it and hate it...waste of money!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Have to reccommend zonealarm. I use the security suite myself. Their free firewall is known to be the best firewall available and the antivirus included in the security suite is well up to scratch. I would have to advise you to stay away from norton. By no means the best, will slow down your computer with countless processes etc.

All in my opinion of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Norton is poor as said previuosly slow your rig down and before Christmas let a virus in ! and fooked up my PC !

I use McAfee now, cant say its excelent but des the job for my pc thats running 24/7 !

however the free ones mentioned are good !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

just to provide some prove, a friend had norton internet security ( firewall / adblocker / anti-virus / IDS ) and his computer took literally 5 minutes to log in to the desktop from the login screen. and things were fooked.

Uninstalled that crap and ran nod32 on his disk. found i think about 30 viruses, and then i ran adware/spysweeper and between them found about 300 adware + another 40 trojans.

Now tell me that norton is great lol. they have a big budget, thats all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

i uninstalled nortons 2005 last night, and replaced it with virus scan.
    system is way faster than it has been in a hell of a long time.
    nortons is a huge processor hog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Your ADSL modem / router may provide NAT and a basic firewall.

In my case I found that moving from dial up to broadband dramaticaly reduced the number of attacks my firewall (zone alarm) was seeing. As the ADSL modem blocking them before they reached my PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I have always found Norton to be a resource hog. Switched to AVG and haven't looked back. Might give one of the others a go soon like Avast.

I also would recommend Zonealarm and MS anti-spyware. Spybot and Ad-ware are two other anti-spyware programs to look at.

Hope that helps.

ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

i use antivir personal edition ( free ) and find it quite good - updated everyday - firewall i use sygate personal edition

• Advertisement
Advertisement