Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield Diary #1 - Zetar Wetlands

Options
  • 05-07-2005 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

So - it's the Zetar Wetlands Map, I'm playing ANTI-TANK guy and loving every moment. I parachute in from the transport chopper, dropping down on top of the defending APC..hit 'em from the air with the missile (toast!) and then hit the ground running... capture flag and call for supplies and reinforcements.

All is going well thus far. My squad leader comes in behind me and then the rest of the unit begin to appear. The supply crate drops - we ammo up and get ready for the counter attack. I move out to one of the damaged huts and take out an APC, followed by a Tank - all from the side as they progress up the hill towards the flag.

Then it's bingo on ammo for the launcher, so I drop to the ground and take out 2 incoming troops in a quick fire exchange. some of our crew are gone, no medic in sight and another chopper has been spotted... so I head for roof mounted missile launcher and do battle with the chopper. He takes a couple of hits and vanishes in a cloud of smoke...eventually crashing into the water.

At this stage the squad has reformed, and I'm back to the supply crate for more ammo. A large force hits us and it's total chaos. I drop down behind the wall at the flag, pop up to take out an APC with the launcher and then defend the flag on semi-auto mode. It gets ugly, the armour is gone and it's down to bullet exchanges. I end up in a running battle with 2 nme troops - and manage to get both of them before getting a bullet in the the back from someone coming up the other slope.

Finally - after frantic minutes of chaotic exchanges and totally enjoyable action I get a few seconds to consider our status while waiting to respawn.. and then the round is over and we win.

And that's when it happens....

Just as I'm waiting to see my stats - thinking I've just had a fantastic map, won some medals, got promoted to PFC etc. - the screen pops up with "Unrecognised Gamemod" and my mood turns sour. All that effort - wasted. All those medals - gone. All that teamwork - for nothing.

I love this game. I'm getting great pleasure and fun out of this game... but I really wish there was some way to avoid getting stung by servers that claim to be 'ranked' - when in fact they are not.

c0y0te

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I was told that has something to do with Linux servers. Avoid them until they are fixed.

I have heard mixed responses as to whether or not this "Gamemod" error actually affects stats or not.

I could be completly wrong about the linux thing, but hey, at least I tried :D.Someone will be along shortly if I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You can set ranked 1 in any server but without the actual server files it wont work but some browsers see it as ranked, assume you seen it outside of the game. But then again the ingame browser is mental.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

As far as I'm aware, the stats don't count unless it recognises the game as a valid 'ranked' server. Usually at the end of a map the stats screen is just blank with the 'unrecognised gamemod' message in the top right hand corner.

Tis a pity really, as that particular map / game was one of my better experiences online in the weeks since I got this game. I had raked up a pile of armour kills, vehicle assaults and even managed to figure out how to fly a chopper without ploughing into the ground after 10 seconds :) .. all to no avail however as once the map ended, so did my stats :(

Still - there is nothing quite like the feeling of parachuting from a height, guiding your character right onto the roof where a flag stand resides (as in the oil refinery on Zetar Wetlands) and dropping down behind the nme guard within a few feet ready to do the dirty deed. All from about 2000 feet above when you jump blind and hope for the best.

Problems aside - this is still a great game, and I'm sure there will be several patches to improve/balance/fix things. It would be nice however to know in advance whether you were playing on an actual 'ranked' server, or just an imaginary one ;)

c0y0te

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I wonder if it's possible to guide an AT shell to someone parachuting rather than the usual blackhawks that I enjoy taking out...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

c0y0te wrote:
    As far as I'm aware, the stats don't count unless it recognises the game as a valid 'ranked' server. Usually at the end of a map the stats screen is just blank with the 'unrecognised gamemod' message in the top right hand corner.
    The server I play on is like this and it definatly records my stats, they are just not shown at the end of a game. This is a work around for the CTD bug in the linux client.

• Advertisement
Advertisement