Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard hands in transfer request

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

keane, scholes, neville x 2, giggs!

Have they won the carling/cocal cup and uefa cup?

I am fairly sure they havent won the Uefa cup anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

SteM wrote:
    To be honest I don't know why I even bothered replying to you at all after the rubbish you posted about Viera and I don't see any point in posting better midfielders as others here have done that already. I notice you've not got much to say about their suggestions.

Why are you even bringing up Keane, no one else has? To answer your question though, in the premiership last season

http://www.soccer-stats.com/teams/player_roll_call.asp?divno=1&code=l
    Steven Gerrard - 28+2

http://www.soccer-stats.com/teams/player_roll_call.asp?divno=1&code=mu
    Roy Keane - 28+3

How are you justifying you comments about Viera being past it btw?

Stem:

Viera said it himself:
    "I couldn't vote for Thierry Henry as the Player of the Year because you can't vote for your own team-mates," reveals Vieira. "So I voted for Gerrard. In my opinion he's in the top three midfielders in the world, maybe the best right now

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N145140040613-1443.htm

Viera is solid, i'll give him that, but his combination of bad temperment and the lack of ability to do somthing special (like score a dramatic winner in a final) make him not as good a player like Gerrard. Keano is similar to Viera in that regard.

Now dont get me wrong, Viera and Keane ARE world class, but Gerrard is young (just gone 26) compared to keano (34) and viera (30) which are ripe ages to be playing the holding midfield position, you just dont have the legs for it. Keane & Viera were better players in there day, but now is not there day, so gerrard is the better player!

Some people just dont like gerrard because he plays for liverpool...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Sorry meant to post this here the first time.

To be honest its the worst statement i have ever heard its says nothing about his motivation for leaving.

Skysports

I really want him to hold a press conference and tell the fans why he wants to leave even if it is he doesn't think he will win more trophies with Liverpool i want to hear HIM say it and i think he owes it to Liverpool fans to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Its for the money. He has won every trophy possible with liverpool, bar the Pl, how many CHelsea, united or arsenal players can say that?
    None of them, because they all have won the league.

Like it or not the league is the real barometer of a team. Im not biased enough to deny that. That is Benetiz's goal. Liverpool have had some fantastic cup runs in the past few years, and celebrated a lot of glory, but its the league that most fans really want. 15 years is a long time.

And whether its the PL, La Liga or Serie A, a league is a league and its the definition of the strongest team from that country. Liverpool are currently years off winning the PL. Gerrard wants to be a part of "the strongest".

Parry has since come out and said it wasnt about money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Well loyality has nothing to do with playing for a club these days.As we all know its about money and playing for the best/most successful club thats out there.I read today that if he goes to Chelsea that Lampard/Terry have in there contracts that if a new player comes into their side and he is getting more money than them,they will be automatically get the increase as well.

As ABBA sang....Money,money,money.

Sad to see him go after saying he wants to stay at Liverpool after the glorious European cup win..

Au revoir Gerrard

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's a shame he's going but the money to be made will be handy in Rafa's kitty. I hope he spends the money wisely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

VinnyL wrote:
    second best midfielder nin the premiership,

HE wasnt even the second best midfielder atthe club last season
    VinnyL wrote:
    keano - past it

I'd still take Keane over him. Playing with Keae for a season would do him th eworld of good cos he'd get the kick up the arse he needs and might actually become the player everyone thinks he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Very interesting talk on RAWK. The general feeling is that he was too big for his boots and that good riddance. Bye bye legend status. That is all it takes unless Benitez messes up the season................ :eek:

Stekelly wrote:
    HE wasnt even the second best midfielder at the club last season

how'd ye reckon?

Alonso was out nearly all last season, hamman was injured too, stevie was the only season long midfielder for liverpool really!

its a shame that i seem to be the only one rating gerrard highly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

VinnyL wrote:
    how'd ye reckon?

Alonso was out nearly all last season, hamman was injured too, stevie was the only season long midfielder for liverpool really!

its a shame that i seem to be the only one rating gerrard highly!

Gerrard had a long term injury last season also. Suffered against Man Utd. That is why they said the first leg against Chelsea was only something like Alonso and himselfs 6th game together.

I'm sorry it came to this, he has been far from his best for a year now or more - no doubt at least partially due to being unsettled. I think his motivations for departure are unreasonable, he cann't claim money or trophies in all honesty. So I'm a little confused. I do think his agents have an awful lot to do with it. It's a shame they have his ear.

I agree with some peopl here when they say 35mill in Rafa's pocket is more than enough to create a team that functions better without him than the previous one did with him. I'm sure they'll find the extra bit for Kuyt, and the signings Rafa said to expect by weeks end will hopefully be completed without some people suddenly thinking they can grab a few extra pennies.

The rest of my post is specualtion better suited to the general Liverpool thread.

I'm sorry Gerrard was allowed lift the cup. I said it before the final. He didn't deserve it on todays evidence. And that's a terrible thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

It's sad the way Football has gone when money seems to be the main factor for players..Gerrard is one greedy c unt,he's gonna no doubt go to Madrid or Chelski get a massive signing on fee and earn massive money..gopod riddance to him i say and all money grabibng b astards :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

They should really change this cover ! :p

Zakrze wrote:
    They should really change this cover ! :p

ha ha yea i saw that, and check out the dvd cover on www.liverpoolfc.tv its on the right hand side. lots of airbrishing to be done this week for the pool webmaster too!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

VinnyL wrote:
    Stem:

Viera said it himself:

Viera is solid, i'll give him that, but his combination of bad temperment and the lack of ability to do somthing special (like score a dramatic winner in a final) make him not as good a player like Gerrard. Keano is similar to Viera in that regard.

Now dont get me wrong, Viera and Keane ARE world class, but Gerrard is young (just gone 26) compared to keano (34) and viera (30) which are ripe ages to be playing the holding midfield position, you just dont have the legs for it. Keane & Viera were better players in there day, but now is not there day, so gerrard is the better player!

There is just so much shíte in that post in makes my head hurt. Vieira is 29, Keane is 33, but I guess you were only a few months off on the second one. I probably shouldn't bother addressing the rest given the inaccuracy of your base knowledge of the two shown just there, but I will.

Vieira is a lot more than solid, he's got great technique and passing, and he controls the tempo of the game superbly (on par with Makelele and Keane, imo), unlike Stevie. There's a lot more to being a centre midfielder than being able to score a spectacular screamer from 30 yards every once in a while - like consistently dominating the opposition and keeping possession, something which Gerrard doesn't do.

In their day - hahahaha. Keane may not be at his best anymore, but Vieira is at his peak. He has just turned 29, and has lost none of his engine. He had an unsettling summer, was injured, then finally came back and had to hand hold two youngsters while he regained his fitness. By the end of the season he was back to his best.

relax, the ages were only off the top of my head.

the "in their day" reference was really directed at keane, i should have made it more obvious.

i guess i'm just blinded by fan bias when it comes to viera. i know he's an absolutley wonderful player, but for me stevie has the potential to be better than viera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

On newstalk 106 - Graham Hunter has said the Chelsea bid was 18M

Apparently Gerrard wanted to stay but Benitez wouldn't give him a commitment about playing central midfield and wouldn't complement his football ability when pressed. He slagged off Gerrards agent(who Gerrard is close to). Graham Hunters feeling is that Benitez wanted him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

Remember gerrards words? 'how could i leave after all this' and 'these are the best supporters in the world' there the last words i heard out of his mouth to me he is a 4 letter word and it begins with c and ends with a t , as benitez said ur a god here but u will be just another player elsewhere and i think he is right get as much money as possible and work around xabi u could easily get 4 or 5 top class players instead of that lying little ****

yea i heard on SkySports news that benitez "forced him out". if thats true he's gonna loose a lot of support from the fans, no one likes to see a player forced out of any club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:

yea i know, i saw it straight after that post!

sleepy head on me didnt see it the first time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

HE'S STAYING WITH POOL now ... http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/

edit: oops just saw other thread ... madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

VinnyL wrote:
    Stem:

Viera said it himself:

You have spouted some sh1te in this thread VinnyL, bit of flip flopping going on.

1) You say Vieira and Keane are PAST IT
    2) I said justify your comments that Vieira is PAST IT and you say Viera is solid blah blah'
    3) Then you say they are world class.
    4) You say Vieira is 30, he's not.
    5) I never said I disliked Gerrard or even HINTED at it, show me where I did. I took you up on something you said which I thought was wrong mainly that Vieira was past it.
    6) Vieira opinion is one mans, just becuse he says it doesn't make it so.

Anyway, now it looks like Stevie G is staying and as a United fan I thanks that's a good thing because I'd fear a Liverpool without SG but with £37m in their pockets more that Liverpool with SG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Have they won the carling/cocal cup and uefa cup?

I am fairly sure they havent won the Uefa cup anyway.

my mistake i forgot about the league cup, how could i?! as for the comment about the uefa cup, not one player at man united dreams of winning the uefa cup, not one fan of man united dreams of winning the uefa cup. heck the same could be said for chelsea, arsenal and even everton now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, Gerrard is staying, or at least thats the latest.

This is bordering on the farcicial, a soap opera of sorts. Brookside might be gone but we have LFC/Gerrad in its place. Parry has come into his office today and contacted the media about phone calls he made last night and this morning. This is becoming a blow by blow account, and Gerrard's negotiations are being played out in the public light. Will he, wont he? There's posturing and spin. Its difficult to tell fact from fiction. He said this, he said that. Well, no he didnt really say he wanted to go. I mis-read his emotions.

What the hell is going on? I realise that things may be slow in the soap scene with Corrie and East Enders these days, but this soap opera is being led by the partiipants who are feeding the media. Its not as if its being leaked and links are being made: eg: "Parry was seen last night talking to Gerrard, in what must be 11th hour talks".

I wonder what Benitez thinks of this? Has he given Gerrard the chief scout role from 2008 onwards? It was Parry making the phone-calls, not Benitez.

All this to-ing and fro-ing is energy sapping and takes the focus off what LFC should be doing and that is building up a good 1st team for this year with some reasonable depth.

Football transfers and moves are a bit like Musical Chairs at times. This is bordering on a circus.

I yesterday was resigned to seeing Gerrard go but was happy that LFC would get 32m at least, hope that Real actually got him, and save 5m on salary per year. Real didnt even get a chance to do much negotiation.

The shenanigans arent good for LFC, nor for Gerrard it has to be said, who now if he stays at LFC will have some tarnished image. We'd all like Gerrard to be a committed Red, like Carra, but he hasnt been like that for the last couple of years, at least not all the time when the chips were down. It has to be said that he did pull out all the stops in the CL final, so Liverpool fans need to decide are his moans at times acceptable as long as he pulls it out on the field on most occasions.

This soap wont be over until the contract is signed.

Redspider

SteM wrote:
    You have spouted some sh1te in this thread VinnyL, bit of flip flopping going on.

1) You say Vieira and Keane are PAST IT
    2) I said justify your comments that Vieira is PAST IT and you say Viera is solid blah blah'
    3) Then you say they are world class.
    4) You say Vieira is 30, he's not.
    5) I never said I disliked Gerrard or even HINTED at it, show me where I did. I took you up on something you said which I thought was wrong mainly that Vieira was past it.
    6) Vieira opinion is one mans, just becuse he says it doesn't make it so.

Anyway, now it looks like Stevie G is staying and as a United fan I thanks that's a good thing because I'd fear a Liverpool without SG but with £37m in their pockets more that Liverpool with SG.

just to clarify:

Viera is world class. Keane is world class.

What i originally was meant to address was the comment that "stevie g wasnt worth £32 million", but i went off in a tangent at one stage - apologies i was posting at work, no time to to really concentrate! a lesson learnt! sorry for wreckin your heads with my flip-flop posting yesterday!

i was just saying that in my opinion, i think he is the second best most promising midfielder - lampard is looking like a much better all round player than him at the moment.

viera and keane are of course brilliant, but i believe that they have already reached their peaks and are starting to go down hill, which is only natural!

its strange but after hearing this morning he's staying, i'm not as happy as i should be.

when you loook at what we could get for 35 million, you get a lot less disappointed and the fact that he was on is was out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

my mistake i forgot about the league cup, how could i?! as for the comment about the uefa cup, not one player at man united dreams of winning the uefa cup, not one fan of man united dreams of winning the uefa cup. heck the same could be said for chelsea, arsenal and even everton now.

Too busy dreaming about getting footballing lessons in the 2nd round of the champions league? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

well i was going to be really smart and say that we couldnt win the uefa cup as we havent been in it, in this teams lifetime....but then i remembered a certain season of despair where rotor volgograd(spelling?) knocked us out!

so i had to go with "dream"!

Advertisement