Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pilot light keeps going out

Options
  • 05-07-2005 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a way to stop the pilot light going out. It just started happening over the last couple of day. 3 Times today. The external pipe is down the side of the house which I suppose can get quite windy (between my house and a high wall) IS there any device I can put on the external pipe to stop the wind getting down (if that is the cause)

Garyh3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Garyh3,

I take it you are referring to a gas boiler ?

When is the last time you had it serviced ? if the thermocouple wasn't replaced the pilot will not stay lighting and if left as it is it will stop lighting altogether.

We haven't had any strong enough winds in the last few days to cause a pilot light to go out and even if we had strong winds it should not cause the pilot light to stop working.

Gas boilers are robust units but very sensitive to faults it's part of the built in safety features that they stop working at the slightest sign of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Rooferpete

It’s a brand new house. Moved in 2 weeks ago... So far we have had 3 immersion heaters (the builder says its a faulty batch) and then there was this blue box thing in the hot press which is suppose to only heat the water when you turn the thermostat down to 10 but in our case we had to turn it to 30 as it was wired wrong. (Finally fixed).

Sorry yes its a gas boiler keeps displaying 01 and flashing a red light. Book say pilot light out. So I turn to restart and then it works again.

Can you turn up a pilot light???

regards
    garyh3

Hi gary,

Gas is not forgiving, it either works or it doesn't, based on your experience and to a degree on your location I would have the system checked out by a Qualified Professional.

Pilot lights are usually pre-set at the factory so any interferance with the regulator could void the guarantee.

Hi RooferPete,

Was reading the boiler manual and at the back there's a more info on the 01 error.

It says Check polarity?. What does this mean..

Could this be anything to do with the electrician who came back and rewired the thermostat as it was back to front?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do modern boilers still have pilot lights? I thought they had gone out with the ark, or at least with the advent of electronic ignition. Ours is about 6 years old and not a pilot light to be seen.

• Advertisement

Hi gary,

My knowledge of Gas Boilers is kept very limited, the reason being they are very user friendly appliances but when a fault occurs a little knowledge can be very dangerous.

I was shown how to change the thermocouple on my own boiler because the engineer is a friend who didn't charge me and obviously trusts me not try any further adjustments.

I can PM you his contact number if you wish, the cost should be recovered from the builder, in fact the builder should be going all out to fix the problem.

Thanks rooferpete

bloody thing seems to be working now no errors for the past couple of days..

However told builder - who told the Plumber/Gas engineer same person about the 01 error and they dont seem to have a clue.... As for the pilot light (thats what is says in the book) however when the gas is on I hear the electronic ignition start and then the gas comes on...

As the estate is still a building site it could also be that they were frigging around with the gas (I will speak with a couple of other people on the estate to see if they had the same issue)

Thansk for all the comments
    Garyh3

Advertisement