Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Forum

• 25-07-2001 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭

I think a Military Forum, dedicated to Military (duh) would be great. It could be dedicated for anything from Special Police Operations, Weapons, Militaristic Threads... Especially those about our beloved Irish Military (Army, Rangers, Air Corps, and *cough* F.C.A)

Pleeeeease?

-Dark-Angel-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Kensai

I think it would be barely used.

BTW, why is the irish miliary beloved to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hmmm, yes I'd support that. Not sure where it would go though - a community board would be a bit remote.

How about splitting "Arts & Media" away from "After Hours"? This would make "After Hours" slightly more serious and we could put in "Politics", "Home", "Night Life" and "Small Business" boards under "After Hours" (and "Military").

My 15 seconds of brilliance for the week.

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 25-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Agreed, Victor.

And the Irish Army is beloved to me because it /IS/ a good Army, and suprisingly impressive for what you'd expect. It's up to the standards of any major country, the only problem is a low body count. frown.gif

http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum20/HTML/001884.html Check out that discussion too.

-Dark-Angel-

P.S: I think we have plenty of military enthusiasts to keep a military board alive.

-Dark-Angel-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

And one good thing about the board u can get the fca members on the boards to tell their facinating combat stories

(true)

The day the FCA faced the evil charlie bird annnnd tried to shoot him (serious) He walked onto fca shooting ranch a few years back and they opened fire on him. Shame i think they missed frown.gif But still.

other stories too like bear island etc.

Hell they release video tapes of the FCA excapades on their outings

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

/me sighs, "And this is why we shouldn't let them use live rounds..." tongue.gif

-Dark-Angel-

• Advertisement

Oh yesssss i am going to try out the lepoard 2 and its military simulator next week now if we get a military forum i'll fill it full of pics and info about me trying the following:

Hind helicopter
    AK47
    Glock pistol
    AWP
    Leapord 2 tank
    German humvee
    APC
    and other little guns

-My dad organised me spending time with german military in kosovo

People of the Boards

I have a cunning plan

and before u ask how cunning

just trust me its cunning

oooo thats cunning

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by klong:
    military enthuasiast here!
    i'll support a military thingy, as i'm considering joining the FCA next year (when i'll be 17) and i went on work experience to the Air Corps in February.
    i'm with victor, dark angel and blitzreig on that one
    </font>

Funnily enough, I'm doing the exact same thing. smile.gif I'm joining the F.C.A (around this time) next year for a few months, then I'm joining the regular army...

My dream was, and always will be, to join the Air Corps and be a pilot (not just a "Oh, I'd like to fly" more of a "I want to fly") but unfortunatly, I don't have the requirments. frown.gif So I'm just going to join the regular army, in hope of getting into the Rangers some day...

-Dark-Angel-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

WHAT?? SORRY??? CAN'T HEAR YOU! CAN YOU SPEAK UP A BIT??!

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

military enthuasiast here!
    i'll support a military thingy, as i'm considering joining the FCA next year (when i'll be 17) and i went on work experience to the Air Corps in February.
    i'm with victor, dark angel and blitzreig on that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

i agree we need a miltary one

im a robot in disguise

• Advertisement

yeah, after university (hopefully i'll get there) i'll apply for an army cadetship. As far as the athletic requirements go (run 1 1/2 miles in 11 mins 30secs etc) i'm virtually in. hopefully my eyesight will clear up by then, or i'll get laser treatment. the only slight problem i can forsee is the cost of the treatment. i also want to go to the air corps as pilot, but the medical requirements will probably knock me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

JOCKEY SPOLLIX FOR MODERATOR!!!!!!11!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Castor Troy
    JOCKEY SPOLLIX FOR MODERATOR!!!!!!11!!
    </font>

... ph33r.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by klong
    As far as the athletic requirements go
    </font>

Well I'm physically fit, but I meant school requirements. wink.gif

-Dark-Angel-

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Im giving thought to joining the FCA to get my ass back in shape, but Im not sure if I have the time, college and all that.

Can someone tell me the details, how ofter you train etc.?

*Military history buff here*

I like my coffee like I like my women.......
    In a plastic cup

I like my coffee like I like my women......
    covered in bees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Training is once a week, a Wednesday for mtself. Last Sunday of every month it's a full day (9-5) in the barracks and shooting ranges every so often. Annual camp is for one week + recruit camp. I just missed my camp by a few days after coming back late from Spain but you get paid over £200 for the time and it's supposed to be a good laugh.

Not for gun lovers though I must say.
    There's a good deal of fruitless marching but it's all for a good cause smile.gif

Nil Desperandum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You could always just go into the wargames forum and discuss it there. Since most of the ppl have an interest in war or at least tactics and strategy, you might get some interesting threads.

Exerpt from the F.C.A. military quotes archive:

"This is my pitchfork, there is many like it but this one is mine!"

etc et al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Brilliant idea there nesf- I'll support that...wargames and army-barmy folks often get along well. The only difference on a basic level is that the latter are mainly interested in the hardware and swapping ol' seaman's stories rather than the tactical manner in which they(the hardware not the stories) are applied.

Bob the Unlucky Octopus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Yeah lil ole me is gonna join the F.C.A after hearing what a complete and utter doss 4 cash it is(makes a change from having a T.oss for cash eh)and as the ranks go up the level of being an alco go up 2!

I might look like a fool but i`m really a blithering idiot

so i think i'll get the ball rolling on the military fourum.......i was in a hostel type place on the cavan/monaghan border (near Cootehill, called Tanagh) recently. a few hundred yards away from the hostel place is an old, abandoned school. it was run by the christian brothers (i think), built in the early 1960s and after they left the army took it over for basic training. my friend and i went in (though we were not allowed)and snooped around. From old newspapers and we found there we reckon the place was abandoned by the army around 1983. does anybody have any more information on this place?

Sorry to dig up old topic. but on your recommandation (def spelt wrong) that was share the wargames as a military board...it dont seem possible: heres a example of the response to a attempt to start the military thing. It aint offencive it just kinda says it aint gonna work...
    From lolith:

why is this in wargames? Something like travel would probably get a better response

After explaining it went quiet and nobody cared.... So can military get its own forum?? i have pics of tanks and stuff from kosovo to start it rolling biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif PLEASE!!!!!!

• Advertisement

i wasn't really offended by that remark from lolith, only a bit puzzled. after all [no offence intended], if he is a mod. [correct me if i'm wrong], should he not be checking up on the other topic boards to see what others are saying?
    as for blitzkrieg, i'll support a military board, only who would moderate? all your posts on kosovo would have really kick started the military board if it had been set up soon after the request was made.

The Boss

Yeah well i still have about 10-20 pics of british and german forces in kosovo that i can post on the start up of the military forum biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Sooo.... we can still have a good kick start

i think with the amount of replies to this topic, along with blitzkriegs excellent articles on kosovo etc we have nearly 50 or so posts...accomodation has only ever had 130 or so. we have accomplished this in a few weeks, this should really be enough to start a new forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

NO to a Military Forum

What good will a forum of this nature promote?
    I have seen them on american forums. All full of crazied gun lovers that purchase gun mags....

I don't see anything wrong with shooting. I love it myself and regularly do it... But i don't agree with shooting and such becoming the topic of discussion...

"Information is Ammunition"
    Choas Engine
    Email: choas@netshop.ie

We already have gun-crazied people here...

Also, I love to discuss the finer points of military tactics (etc., etc.) in some of the older Wars. Such as WWII (Big into that) and that kind of stuff. Aswell we wont get complaints. It couldn't hurt, could it?

-Dark-Angel-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Theyre have certainly been worse Ideas for boards ,So ill lend my vote , Itd be a good place to expell Gun talk, I mean theyre was an AK47 pic thread a while back on CS that didnt do too badly ,that sorta stuff would be ideal for a military Forum while encompassing strategic elements aswell

The Man From Delmonte , He Say "Yes"

Firstly: M.I.L.I.T.A.R.Y FORUM, NOT G.U.N FORUM. As Angel pointed out, we rather talk about military tactics, events, maybe about a tank or gun but mainly on events special forces, heros villians that type of thing.

I mean i wanna talk about in this forum:

-The many armies in kosovo

-The Bismarck (MY favourite ship)

-Rommal (Of course

-World war 1, 2

-Vietnam (TO all americans YOU LOST not draw LOST!)

-Micheal Witman (if you know who he is you get a cookie)

-Almost all the great military blunders.

-THE GODDAMN FCA!!! (maybe they should be in humour)

i most definetly agree with BlitzKrieg here- my brother is gun crazy and it just ****es me off. i hear him talk about guns, guns, guns at home. nothing more really.
    for my sake [and i'm sure there are more of you out there]keep it military, not have it descend into a mindless discussion of guns.

The Boss

so to relaunch....
    i have just read a letter in an aviation magazine which contains the following

...consider the Irish Army's most serious "firefight" since 1945, which took place in south Lebanon in 1982. Basically, the Irish UNIFIL contingent, when attacked, fell apart and got slaughtered...

I don't think so.
    Did the guy who wrote this letter not hear of the Congo in the 1960s and all the fighting there? I would have thought that that was far more serious than UNIFIl, and anyway, the army in the Congo were, i believe, peace enforcers rather than peace keepers.
    Where is his proof? Why would the army bother taking on the Isrealis in a serious fight anyway? They are well able to take care of the SLA, they fought them before and hammered them.
    Just bear in mind this guy was English.

The Boss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I don't recall any posts on tactics in the wargames forum. It's being dominated by warhammer at the mo, so it'd be good to get a different perspective on things. I'm into WW2 tactics, equipment and such. But I fail to see the need for a seperate board. Theres a low post count on wargames as is, and military won't appeal to a wide audience, combining the two would simply make good sense, as it would allow the effective use of a present board, and avoid the hassle and resources needed for a new one.

Just post somethign on tactics, you will get replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by klong:
    ...consider the Irish Army's most serious "firefight" since 1945, which took place in south Lebanon in 1982. Basically, the Irish UNIFIL contingent, when attacked, fell apart and got slaughtered...</font>

Can you indicate where the article is or quote it?

Maybe we should raise the matter of the 8 SAS men arrested by an unarmed Garda ....
    Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 11-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

There were Irish army troops present at that checkpoint Victor smile.gif

The SAS guys twice refused to hand over their weapons, then the Irish Army lads surrounded the car and they finally did.If it had just been a Garda they would have probably told him to fúck off and popped back across the border.

I'm trying to get this goin with 2 posts in wwargames please feel free to scream at them

its in a magazine called Air Forces Monthly, their website is www.airforcesmonthly.com, but i doubt they publish their letters.
    Prove me wrong.

The Boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

who the hell said they want 2 join the fca 2 get in shape it has put me out of shape if anything [all dat drinking]and u dont realy have 2 b 17 2 join i know ppl who are 15 and in the fca.but it is recommended 4 any 1 to join its a great laugh except all the marching

life:sexualy transmitted allways fatal
    pa153@hotmail.com

• Advertisement

Well it looks like i am DA BOMB!! at getting this military forum thing going. picj the right topic and u got a mad post goign full of people who are not spammers and know wha they are talking about. i think this post is showing tha a military forum is a good idea:

http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum27/HTML/000049.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dark-Angel:
    I think a Military Forum, dedicated to Military (duh) would be great. It could be dedicated for anything from Special Police Operations, Weapons, Militaristic Threads... Especially those about our beloved Irish Military (Army, Rangers, Air Corps, and *cough* F.C.A)

Pleeeeease?

-Dark-Angel-
    </font>

I second that.
    Would at least give me a chance to post about things I *DO* know something about...

Advertisement