Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB omg

• 05-07-2005 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Details of events:

1) Monday noticed erratic pings on ibb 2 meg connection
    2) Tuesday no difference so I rang, can't remember the guy I talked to. Was after 5, he said he not allowed give out bandwidth and theres a second tech support line, very fishy. Ring back tomorrow between 9 - 5.
    3) Rang back and spent a 25 min phone call (including about 15 mins waiting) to tell them that my connection was slow. On the phone to them i was downloading at 60kbp/s. On the phone to them he told me that your 2 meg connection is at 1 meg now and thats fine. Since you have a 20:1 contention u are getting slow speeds because of heavy traffic. (ok fair enough but my speeds never reach 2 megs not even at 12am which he suggested wait until.) Then I asked to talk to a manager who was in a meeting. Magically he just entered the meeting and couldnt talk to me.

What a ****ing joke. Does anyone want to email comreg to back up the claims the company are not providing us with an adequate and decent service as advertised? 2meg = 2 meg not 1 meg sometimes and less than 512kb the rest. Traffic is a horse **** excuse they used for too long. Argh (frustrations)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

got a mate on the 2mbps package and he says he's maxxed out 24/7 whenever he's tested it. how far are you from your local antenna?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I have noticed some problems this week. Timeouts, high pings and slow downloads from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

All of the problems seem to be related to backhaul from the masts to their central hub... Some masts seem to have plenty while others are totally starved. Supposedly all of bray was on a 10 meg line a while back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Well, I've been reporting problems for 2 months now and still nothing has been done. They have oversold the product so no one is actually getting what they are paying for. IBB are just cowboys.

Before you go to comreg, you have to go through IBB's complaint procedure. Which I have now done. MY complaint is going into comreg on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

still no word from manager his meeting lasted 3 hours??? I'm not too far from mast. At start and even soon after upgrade i was getting max connections it's too inconsistent and too expensive to keep it like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

yea its really bad i got it installed last thursday gettin max 25k downloads (when i was maxing out my 1 meg dsl on the same download) got in touch with them on friday couldnt help said comms have to look into it it was crap all weekend called monday told them i need it sorted or i am cancelling direct debit they tried to say i am on a contract so i told them my contract said i would have a 2Meg connection not a 20k they said give them a chance to repair it so i told them i wanted a call before 5pm today with an update on what my problem was and when it will be sorted they never got in touch so i called them and tore them to shreds down the phone about how incapable the support was of even returning a simple phone call and told him ill be cancelling the direct debit as i dont have time for such a troublesome connection and a careless company he accepted my cancellation and they will be arranging a collection of the equipment in a few days so im happy and gonna call eircom to upgrade my dsl to 2 meg tomorrow.
    anyway its a lesson for you all dont go near such a bad company they have that reputation for a reason i shouldnt have even given them the benefit of the doubt.
    Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

same here down below 1 meg dl since an outage a few days ago.I'm on tallaght mast

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Supposedly all of bray was on a 10 meg line a while back

A but sure you could have 240 customers on that and just blame traffic and contention if it goes slow. Or reset the radio for good measure. That's bound to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

TBH with the amount of complaints IBB are getting, Im surprised they have any customers on these boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Im surprised IBB dont have a rep doing the rounds here like Chaz has been doing for Digiweb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Its funny, i thought Chaz was IBB. Did he change jobs?

I think it was a Chaz who was going around trying to fix Digiweb problems.

Yeah Im sure it was Chaz...people were complaining about their wireless connections too...so mabye past experience with IBB got a better job in Digiweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

juliuspret wrote:
    Im surprised IBB dont have a rep doing the rounds here like Chaz has been doing for Digiweb!

They did, wiseman and old titan but they seem to have dissapeared .

Yeah I remember Old Titan.

Have eircom/BT got someone helping out on the boards???
    I think eirom need all the help they can get!!!

juliuspret wrote:
    Yeah I remember Old Titan.

Have eircom/BT got someone helping out on the boards???

Thats true but one thing i can say for eircom with all their flaws is it works very well when you can get it
    Pete

juliuspret wrote:

It seems they have decided to spend their time ensuring their broadband works instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The thing is any service providers worth thier salt should not have to have
    Thier customers that they have a contract with (contracts work both ways),
    Having to resort to coming here to complain and raise issues.

All of these threads should not be here; they should be handled by thier
    Customer 'CARE' department as it were. Unfortunately given the track record
    of the people who you reach when you ring IBB, and thier lack of abilities and the appalling way they are the front line of the company, the litany of excuses, tickets lost, emails deleted, issues forgotten to be escalated and the amount of Marys and Stephens that work there, what else are people to do but try find another way to vent their frustrations.

It could soon be getting to the stage were all those who are that grievously unhappy may have to pay a visit in person to the offices, maybe on the same afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thaed wrote:
    It could soon be getting to the stage were all those who are that grievously unhappy may have to pay a visit in person to the offices, maybe on the same afternoon.

You know, this actually crossed my mind... Have 100~150 people showing up at IBB's headquarters with banners and singing "What do we want? Broadband! Good pings! Customer Support! No caps! When do we want it? NOW!"* We should also call the press over! We have to make sure everybody knows IBB isn't really a broadband provider and thus stop the flow of new, unsuspecting customers! Only boards.ie users (and users of other forums relating to the same issues) can know what IBB is really like before subscribing!

They do that in the US and it works perfectly! The people have the power, not the money-hungry corporations such as IBB!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... That felt good! :D

*You are welcome to come up with a better slogan! Mine tried to include everything but it is lond winded... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I'm there ¬¬ good plan ! I vote Stephano as the group leader and spokes man !

You know, this actually crossed my mind... Have 100~150 people showing up at IBB's headquarters with banners and singing "What do we want? Broadband! Good pings! Customer Support! No caps! When do we want it? NOW!"* We should also call the press over! We have to make sure everybody knows IBB isn't really a broadband provider and thus stop the flow of new, unsuspecting customers! Only boards.ie users (and users of other forums relating to the same issues) can know what IBB is really like before subscribing!

They do that in the US and it works perfectly! The people have the power, not the money-hungry corporations such as IBB!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... That felt good! :D

*You are welcome to come up with a better slogan! Mine tried to include everything but it is lond winded... ;)

How about What do we want What you advertised!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

peterk19 wrote:
    How about What do we want What you advertised!!
    Now that made me laugh! :D

It's perfect peterk19! You're head of slogan and banner design: Congratulations! ;)

Drapper, thanks for your vote of confidence but I'll pass... I have a very big mouth and a bit of a short temper so I think somebody more laid back and with more tact when dealing with people is required here... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Name a day, I'll be there.....

Unfortunately, IBB felt uneasy with free flowing traffic through their network. It went against their mother Companies Customer Charter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

you are probably better off just getting DSL thro a wireless router

Adey2002 wrote:
    Unfortunately, IBB felt uneasy with free flowing traffic through their network. It went against their mother Companies Customer Charter..
    Ha ha that is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

well its good to see im not alone :) not that i ever doubted that for one second. I think a mass demonstration would be good just need to hack their service so we can send a mass email to all their customers :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the head honcho is Paul Doody. Maybe he doesn't know about things because his staff have not told him. Try emailing him not the customers.

I wouldn't bet on it. They know what game they're playing. The few times I've heard the guy he's harped on about contention and how they're the only ones that guarantee a minimum speed. Of 3kbps. Never mind that the rest of the ISP's deliver 2Mbps practically all the time as they have built networks that can deliver those speeds regardless of contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Did this happen to anyone between 2:30 and 2:50 today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I heard there is a flaw in their system - they have no way of monitoring the contention ratio at all. So, the 20:1 thing is a farse - could be 1000:1 for all they know

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Did this happen to anyone between 2:30 and 2:50 today?

Happened to me just there...

Rather odd. Didn't last more than 5 minutes though.

Advertisement