Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm an engineer!

Options
  • 05-07-2005 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭

Yep, am finally a real life engineer now after the graduation yesterday. It was a lovely day, nice ceremony, food afterwards, out to dinner with the family and then a brilliant night in Tramcos with the rest of my class!

The cermony itself was done quite quickly - an hour and a half for 250 graduands (and half an hour of that was Hugh Brady giving a long speech at the end!). We all processed in at the start, while a string quartet were playing Canon in D by Pachabel (you know the music in the graduation song). Then when we were seated the lecturers processed in led by the president and the dean. After that we were presented for graduation by one of the lecturers, and accepted by the president (this involved a lot of Latin, so I dont know what they actually said!). Then we went up one by one to get our testimoniums from the president, and walked back down the steps trying not to get our gowns caught in them (happened to a good few ppl) At the end the lecturers all kinda processed out, and then we did, and then our parents all came and took pictures of us posing with the scrolls! It was all very nicely done, and I felt all important in my robes :D It was also quite interesting to see all the guys in suits - they all looked so businesslike it was scary! Ah well - congrats due to TheCzar who's in my class, so is now also a real life engineer type! Was a really lovely day:)

P.S. One of my friends was the 10,000th engineer to graduate from UCD which was pretty cool. (I was the 9994th) The first engineer graduated back in 1869 apparently :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

So that's what it'll be like in two years time. Is it always on this early? I thought graduations didn't start to happen til september. :silly:

Well done! Only one more year of college til I'm one, and it'll be two years until that happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Congratulations! One question though, you say the guys were wearing suits, do they not have to wear the robes then?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i think the lads have to wear the gowns too but i'll leave the definitive answer to the expert ;)

I must have been the last boards person apart from the czar to see the pre-engineer blondie... i'm just so privilaged!!! Congrats on being a real engineer! Time's just flown - i can't believe i've only one year left!

btw Did you see Dr. S.'s bow-tie - what a ridiculous outfit :D

(You can't leave the UCD board just yet - we'd all miss ya too much!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Congrats!! you must be delighted with yourself!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

The guys have to wear the gowns and hoods as well, but they don't get the hats :D Yeah the lecturers all looked quite colourful in their robes. I was asking them about it afterwards, and apparently they wear the robe of whatever college they received their doctorate from, thats why they're all different colours.

Oh and Red alert of course I'm not leaving this board - that would be just crazy sure who else would I have to talk to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Fair play to you!

Well done!

What'll Maura & I do without you next year!???

littleangelsbabybouquet.jpg
    Flowers for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Lads, seen as how your all qualified 'n stuff, I have this tower I need eh... fixed.

piza_tower.jpg

Birds eye view (171 ko)
    http://members.boards.ie/kasintahan/Italy%20-%20Piza%20Birdseye%20view.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

kasintahan wrote:
    Lads, seen as how your all qualified 'n stuff, I have this tower I need eh... fixed.

piza_tower.jpg

Birds eye view (171 ko)
    http://members.boards.ie/kasintahan/Italy%20-%20Piza%20Birdseye%20view.jpg

Leave that tower alone. It should stay exactly the way it is. Has Superman 3 taught you nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

well done blondie good luck with the job hunting whenever you start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

your graduation was cool (i attended it also), so was the food:)! well done Blondie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Congrats blondie!Thats brill and u must be over the moon!wow im in shock someone from boards actually managed to graduate it is a miraclle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Yay well done lady!!!!

Wait....who's going to make signs for the boardsies at their drinking sessions!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

As the now-resident oldest engineer I guess I'll be slaving over the printer! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

A big time delayed congrats Blondie!!! Congratulations! :)

Oh the future of Irish engineering is defintiely in safe hands with the likes of Blondie in charge of building our bridges.......

c003623.jpg

;)

Advertisement