Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making transparent images in flash

Options
  • 05-07-2005 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

i am in the process of designing a site for a galwaybased singer songwriter so i am making the layout very modern/funky very much on the creative side.
    the layout is designed in a psd but i want to put a slideshow of the singer over the html

i have set the slice as a background and want to put the animated slideshow ontop, problem is that i want to make the animated image of just her with the background transparent. I am using xml to define the files and and actionscript to define the slideshow, i tried using transparent gif but the exported mov wont show them, only jpgs

its kinda wreaking my head coz i have seen this done before and it would be perfect here!

can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭kstanl

Well you can't import GIF's or PNG's into Flash on-the-fly and JPG's don't support transparency so you're stuck there! What you could do is create your transparent PNG's in Photoshop and import them into Flash, creating as many SWF's as you need for your slideshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

i had this transparency issue before....wrecked my head too.

1) what you need to do is open your psd in illustrator
    2) then save it as a swf from illustrator.
    3) then you can import the above swf into the fla you are working on.
    4) each different layer should be on a seperate frame...transparency and all!! :):)

let me know if that sorts it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

they way i and doing it i dont import the images into a library at all its call through xml through the actionscript

will this work with png?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 WKD

You need to convert your XML marker to a MOVIE, then set it's alpha channel to 20 - 50. That should sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭kstanl

sinus wrote:
    they way i and doing it i dont import the images into a library at all its call through xml through the actionscript

will this work with png?

I'm assuming the image filenames / paths are stored in the XML file which is parsed by Flash, telling the SWF which images to display? You can't import PNG's into Flash at runtime. You can only import non-progressive JPG's at runtime. Thus, you'll need to put your transparent PNG's into standalong SWF's and then change the image paths in the XML file to reflect your new SWF's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement