Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your first PC?

Options
  • 06-07-2005 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Mine was an amstrad something or other, it was a 286 with 512k ram, 2 x 5.25 inch floppy disk drives which it booted off, no HDD, it ran dos 3.2 and gem windows, which i've never came across before of ever since then, it has "basic 2" tho which was something like visual basic.

I then moved onto a 386 with a 200 meg hdd 4 meg ram, but i could play civilisation 1 on that which was class, windows for workgroups 3.11. anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

this has been covered to death in other threads allready.

Dude, your .sig file is crap, tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

486 DX 33mhz, 4 megs of ram, 500 meg drive, windows 3.11 for workgroups. Oh baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Spectrum 48K
    and it is a computer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

486 DX 33mhz, 4 megs of ram, 500 meg drive, windows 3.11 for workgroups. Oh baby!

Bet it handles Half Life 2 like a dream :p

First one I used at home was a 166mhz, 32mb ram and 2mb gfx card, cant remember the make. Used its raw power to play games with brutishly large requirements such as Quake2 with ease.... :D

Geeky store guy: *inhales sharply* "Whoah man, thats a pretty new game, you sure your rig can hande it?"

Me: "Just hit me with it, son"

Lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

mine i think was an AST 486 i don't remember anything else about it really except it played prince of persia and a sweet tank game called tank wars which i can't find any info on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Mitsubishi Apricot
    Pentium 100Mhz
    16Meg ram (2x8Meg SIMMs)
    Cirrus Logic CL-G5434 1Meg SVGA
    850Meg Quantum Fireball
    Sony 4x CDROM
    Sound Blaster 16 onboard
    Desktop case
    13/14" monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard.

£500 as it was EoL.
    Would've been purchased ~1995/96
    Cut my o/cing teeth on it too, thanks to Half-life.

Got demo. Picked jaw off ground, crossed fingers and fiddled with jumpers till 120Mhz was attained.
    Bought 2nd-hand Diamond Monster3D VooDoo Graphics 4meg.
    Bought additional 32Meg ram (2x16Meg SIMMs).
    Bought 2x Realtek 8029AS 10Mbit network cards and a long length of thinnet in preparation for networking this machine and my [then] forthcoming new machine - which is about to be retired by today-week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Cremo, check up some abandonware sites for the game.

(If abandonware is against the rules, sorry, just wipe this post)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Commodore 64. I used to play a football management game on it called "The Double" - took about an hour to load up the cassette (with nice colours brainwashingly flashing flickering across the screen). Then, it took about 16-20 hours to play a full season! Man, I loved that game :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Are we talking IBM PC-Compatibles here or just "first thing with a keyboard" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

dell 266mhz
    64mb ram
    2 gig hd
    4mb Graphics card of some sort I think

cant remeber exactly when it was bought but it was definately 1995ish, twas top of the line back then........its still working away happily as a word processor & web surfin machine, never had to open the cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    this has been covered to death in other threads allready.

Dude, your .sig file is crap, tbh
    That's Funny, Dont recall asking your opinion on any of those!
    This thread is doing OK without you.
    It probably doesnt belong in this forum I admit. Sorry Mods!

SyxPak wrote:
    Are we talking IBM PC-Compatibles here or just "first thing with a keyboard" ?
    I dunno i intended x86's but if its interesting stick it in!

im sure someone had a vtech something or other before a proper PC, with my vtech u could make BASIC programmes, no way of saving them tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

mine was an Acorn RISC OS :p

aaf wrote:
    Commodore 64. I used to play a football management game on it called "The Double" - took about an hour to load up the cassette (with nice colours brainwashingly flashing flickering across the screen). Then, it took about 16-20 hours to play a full season! Man, I loved that game :cool:
    Ever play rainbow island on the c64? that was a class game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

first thing with a keyboard was an Atari 400
    1.8 Mhz CPU and 48k RAM !

first x86 was a Wang 386 with 4mb RAM and 40MB disk. Think it was 33mhz.
    it actually cost around £2000 about 14 years ago. come to think of it my last PC cost about the same !!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ShakyJ

superfly wrote:
    Spectrum 48K
    and it is a computer!
    SAME, loved the little thing. little bro smashed it wiht a hammer one day. little f*cker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i still have mine in the box it came in
    i bought the 128k version after
    i had BBC Micro 32k as well
    then moved up to Amiga 500, then Amiga 1200
    and didn't by a PC till 99, which was a p3 500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

A commodre 64! God damn it them games were ledgend!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

First PC was a Commodore PC30
    286 12mhz, 20 mb hard disk
    16 colour EGA
    1mb ram! 640 base and 384 extended! :rolleyes:
    Mono soundblaster was added later

Indianapolis 500 was the best game, and of course Lemmings!! :D
    Ahhh memories....

First comp was a zx80, followed by a commodore plus 4....

Mythago wrote:
    First PC was a Commodore PC30
    286 12mhz, 20 mb hard disk
    16 colour EGA
    1mb ram! 640 base and 384 extended! :rolleyes:
    Mono soundblaster was added later

Indianapolis 500 was the best game, and of course Lemmings!! :D
    Ahhh memories....

First comp was a zx80, followed by a commodore plus 4....
    What OS did u run on that? dos? windows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

djmarkus wrote:
    Ohhhhh such a n00b. Anyways I guess you could say my first PC was a Commadore 64, although it was the TV version not the computer version so not sure if you could class it as a PC or not. I could never get the record to tape function to work either, it'd find the title of the file I had typed out but never displayed it. My favourite game on it methinks at the time was Bart v. The Space Mutants although I was never any good at it. Ohh and I still think to this day that the song that played as Batman Returns loaded was the best gaming music ever!

My first modern IBM PC was a 200mhz Pentium 1 MMX with 32Mbs of EDO Ram and a 2Gb HDD. Ohhh yeah and Windows 98se, which, in my newbies days I accidentially wiped cus I thought 'Low Level Format' in the bios was some kind of optimisation tool :rolleyes:

Achilles wrote:
    Ohhhhh such a n00b. Anyways I guess you could say my first PC was a Commadore 64, although it was the TV version not the computer version so not sure if you could class it as a PC or not. I could never get the record to tape function to work either, it'd find the title of the file I had typed out but never displayed it. My favourite game on it methinks at the time was Bart v. The Space Mutants although I was never any good at it. Ohh and I still think to this day that the song that played as Batman Returns loaded was the best gaming music ever!

My first modern IBM PC was a 200mhz Pentium 1 MMX with 32Mbs of EDO Ram and a 2Gb HDD. Ohhh yeah and Windows 98se, which, in my newbies days I accidentially wiped cus I thought 'Low Level Format' in the bios was some kind of optimisation tool :rolleyes:
    lol i didnt mean windows as in windows xp pro! i ment some of the early microsoft windows or gem windows which i had on my 286!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Had DOS 4.01, then Windows 3.... followed by DOS 5 & Windows 3.1 and finally wrapping up the OS's on the 286 DOS 6!! The dogs ballix of DOS!! Or maybe DOS 6 arrived on my 486.... was along time ago :rolleyes: DR-DOS also passed thru that Hard drive....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Wang 386DX, 4MB, 40MB hard disk. I was a master at editing my config.sys and autoexec.bat files. A master I tell you!

lafortezza wrote:
    Wang 386DX, 4MB, 40MB hard disk. I was a master at editing my config.sys and autoexec.bat files. A master I tell you!
    did u have civilisation by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Let's see...

First computer I ever _used_ was a VIC-20 (the precursor to the Commodore 64 6502-powered, 1MHz!!!). First _real_ computer I used was a VAX minicomputer - not sure exactly which model, but I think it was an 11/780.

First computer I bought with my own money was an Atari 520 STFM - 512k of RAM, TV out, DOS-compatible double-density floppy drive. Powered by an 8MHz 68000.

First _PC_ I bought with my own money... a P133, 64MB of RAM, 1.6GB hard disk. Still have it, somewhere...

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

first computer was an Atari 800XL. 1.25Mhz 64Kb RAM Twas a scremer.

Next was an Atari 520STFM, followed by a 520STE (with 1Mb RAM).

Didnt use a computer for about 5-6 years, then I pulled an IBM PS-2 out of a skip. 386/8mb/40Mb

Then I got given a PC to play with (first internet unit): K5 100/8Mb/500Mb/33.6K. Managed to get over 166Mhz out of this by putting a vacuum cleaner on the heatsink!

First one I bought was a K6-300 with 64Mb/10Gb/8Mb AGP. My first "useful" computer

I still have the 800XL, the ST's and the IBM PS-2

I went on a retr buzz recently and acquired:

NES, Megadrive, Lynx and a Jaguar.

Ive been looking at those Apple I replica's and thinking of building one. Anybody tried one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

first computer was an Atari 800XL.
    Me too :)
    Think I swapped a NES for it or something.
    Oh the joys of typing out 5 pages of code to see a 'bouncing ball' :rolleyes:

First proper pc was a 386 25MHz with Win3.11 ... although this was in 1996... a tad behind the times, but twas the best I could afford as a poor school kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Right my first comp was a Commodore64...but it was the slightly newer version with a lot for games cartridges...but I still found myself investing in a tape drive a couple of months later.
    The joy of those horizontal coloured bars...and then it stops loading after 5 minutes due to an error...kids today have it easy with the DVD's!!!

First proper comp was a 200Mhz/32MB RAM/2GB HDD/Win95 with a 1MB ATI graphics card back in 1997!!!
    I still remember blowing the PSU after changing the voltage to 115v and without realising plugging it back in...BANG and the smell of smoke...!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Apple Macintosh SE/30. Built in 9" 512x384 monochrome screen. 25MHz CPU, 8MB Ram, 40MB hard drive, built in floppy disk drive. Best computer ever.

First pc was a Pentium 200MHz MMX, 32MB Ram, Ati Rage II, ah, those were the days, when you learned to sqeeze everything out of your hardware.

Advertisement