Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard's staying

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

All over BBC Radio 1 now saying he is staying!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Wonder what changed his mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

WTF :confused:

has he had another 11th hour change of mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

No major details released yet but would the club really want to keep him if his mind is not in it. Question is what made him change it again?

Also now that he is staying, if true, then the £32 or whatever the fee is/would have been is lost to the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Whaa!!! not again!!!!

YESS GWAN U GOOD THING

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see what the liverpool fans say today after their posts yesterday about good riddance he had a crap season anyway etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

This is shades of Vieira last year.

I really don't get it

I think I like most of the Liverpool fans had resigned ourselves to the fact that he was leaving but hey we were goin to get a hell of a lot of money with which rafa could get some super players

now I don’t know what to be thinking

his heart mite be there for the pool but if he was leaving for reasons other than money ie the premiership well then he must still be thinking we haven't a hope

and thats not a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

wonder did family get a "visit" again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

This is getting crazy. I look forward to the same circus next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Id say the guilt got to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

:-/

I should stop reading the soccer forum. This is doing my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If STR£100,000 a week isn't enough moola, you have no guilt! Madrid didn't come in with an offer I notice...

Either way, wonder what the fans who burnt their Gerrard jersies outside Anfield last night think? :D

From liverpoolfc.tv:
    The Reds chief executive broke the amazing news as he arrived at Anfield today following several late night and early morning phone calls with the Liverpool captain.

"I couldn't be more delighted," said Parry. "He has decided to stay with us because he realises how much the club means to him.

"Even when he said he was going I don't think the language he used suggested he really wanted to go. He was talking about the last few days being difficult and not being able to come back, he never actually said he wanted to go.

"Over the last 24 hours he has reflected on it, thought it through and he wants to stay.

"From our point of view it's what we wanted all along. I have apologised to Stevie if I've mis-read his emotions. I guess after Istanbul I thought I knew where we were going but he clearly thought for whatever reason that the club wasn't as enthusiastic about keeping him as we might have been. He was anxious.

"There were one or two issues with the contract which he took to mean a lack of enthusiasm on our part, which it wasn't. He understands that now. We've had some emotional moments together, cleared everything up and I don't think this will happen again.

"I don't think he's staying because he was concerned about the negative reaction. I made the point on Monday to him to think of the fans in Istanbul and ask himself how he could leave that. Obviously the last day or two hasn't been easy for him but this isn't a decision for negative reasons. He's found it complicated but deep down it was always a difficult decision for him to say he wanted to go. We're all absolutely thrilled and I'm more certain than ever that he's fully committed and that this is where he wants to be."

I wonder was he told Madrid weren't interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Liverpool fans, it'll be interesting to hear from yis, as to whether or not your glad he is staying.
    The events of the last 3 years proved maybe that Vieira should have gone as it looked like maybe his heart was not in it as much as it was beofre that.
    Although saying that I thought he did finish off the season very well.
    But I wonder if Gerrard doesn't start the season off too well, will the Liverpool supporters get on his back, more so then they would normally.

Quick someone send the Bannor signal :D

He might help shed some light on the whole thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

All the lads here who were telling him to "f*ck off and take the money" - i wonder what they all think now?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

God now he is an even bigger tw*t, talk about taking the mickey out of the club.

If I was Parry I would tell him where to go and transfer list him, next year he will leave for even less!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

of course things are gonna change now he's staying...

the impression i and most liverpool fans got when he said he was leaving was that him "wanting to win things" at liverpool was a lie, and that really he was after a 100K+ salary!

now that he's staying though i dont know what to think, i was angry yesterday and frustrated (which showed in some posts!) but now i dont know what to think, or even believe! he could change his mind again tomorrow and we'll be startin another thread again!

• Advertisement

VinnyL wrote:
    he could change his mind again tomorrow and we'll be startin another thread again!

Jeez dont be sayin that i dont think my head could take it --- as it is i dont know what to be thinking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Boro wrote:
    All the lads here who were telling him to "f*ck off and take the money" - i wonder what they all think now?
    This morning I heard the possiblity of getting cash + Duff from Chelsea for Gerrard. That brought a smile to my face. It still would.

No one doubts Gerrard's *potential* ability. But there are now serious doubts over his commitment / loyalty. At best he is very immature, at worst he was toying with the club for more money.

Either way he has to prove himself (again) to the supporters... just like Reina, Zenden &co.

To answer your question... maybe it would have been for the best if he fúcked off and took the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

If I was Benetiz I'd still want rid of him. This is getting farcical.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    This morning I heard the possiblity of getting cash + Duff from Chelsea for Gerrard. That brought a smile to my face. It still would.

No one doubts Gerrard's *potential* ability. But there are now serious doubts over his commitment / loyalty. At best he is very immature, at worst he was toying with the club for more money.

Either way he has to prove himself (again) to the supporters... just like Reina, Zenden &co.

To answer your question... maybe it would have been for the best if he fúcked off and took the money.

completely agree.... he's gonna have to prove a lot to us this year now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think there's a lot of spin involved with this from the SFX camp..... I was p*ssed off with the reasons he wanted to leave. Im happy now, but I want to see a 5 year contract and a good performance this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Could be also a ploy to try and get closer to the asking price for him ;)

could also be - he requested a transfer in the hope that Real would make an offer despite losing face with the fans. So if it became apparent that Madrid weren't in for him, the uturn could be an indication that he's trying to save face before say moving to Chelsea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

HAHAHAHA, this is gold.

I noticed Real hadn't bid instantly, but they didn't even have a day to get it together like, so I'm not gona read hugely into this.
    Annoyed I am, cause I wanted him to leave for the worse of Liverpool, but now his disruption is just gona be unreal.

p.s.
    Does he stay captain after this?
    I would be totally shocked if he did

Madrid are on record as saying they were interested but wouldn't make a bid unless he handed in a transfer request.

It would make it really interesting now if Real and Chelsea starting bidding in the region of 40 million see how much Parry wants him to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

This was blown out of proportion by the media. Gerrard and Liverpool (Rick Parry) are guilty of letting it happen. I think it has something to do with Rick Parry going on holiday just when Gerrard wanted to sit down at contract talks. When they eventually offered the contract, Gerrard wasn't happy with "one or two" things. This seemed like a lack of enthusiasum from Liverpool which SFX picked up on. Naturally they did their job and contacted all their media buddies - smelling a multi-million pound transfer.

Fair play to Parry and Gerrard for sorting it out. This could have been ugly.

BTW, I never blasted Gerrard. I only said I have more faith in Rafa with £32mil than Gerrard with a new contract. We'll see in January if this starts up again.

PHB wrote:
    Does he stay captain after this?

you bet your life he will!

i'm beginnning to think that this is gonna cause a bit of disruption, with rafa having to build the squad around stevie again...

the club, player, and agent should be ashamed of themselves though, very immature behaviour. Parry said he "misread his emotions", and that stevie never said "i want to go"! so whaqt the hell was the press release all about then parry!!!

cregser wrote:
    This was blown out of proportion by the media. Gerrard and Liverpool (Rick Parry) are guilty of letting it happen. I think it has something to do with Rick Parry going on holiday just when Gerrard wanted to sit down at contract talks. When they eventually offered the contract, Gerrard wasn't happy with "one or two" things. This seemed like a lack of enthusiasum from Liverpool which SFX picked up on. Naturally they did their job and contacted all their media buddies - smelling a multi-million pound transfer.

Fair play to Parry and Gerrard for sorting it out. This could have been ugly.

BTW, I never blasted Gerrard. I only said I have more faith in Rafa with £32mil than Gerrard with a new contract. We'll see in January if this starts up again.
    Gerrard released a statement yesterday saying:
    The last six weeks have been the toughest of my life," he informed Sky Sports News. "The decision I have come to has been the hardest decision I have ever had to make.

"I fully intended to sign a new contract after the Champions League final but the events of the past five or six weeks have changed all that.

"I have too much respect for the club and the people at it to get involved in a slanging match."

Seems to me there was more than 1 or 2 things he wasn't happy about from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Yeah hopefully he'll create a good injury free partnership with Xabi .. they have the potential of being the best midfield pairing in the premiership ... Was gutted and angry when I heard he wanted to go (obviously) especially as it seemed it was JUST for money .. but am in shock at the U-turn ... anyways ... alls forgiven , roll on next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

bloody agents

i bet ya its the agents fault

perhaps we should all - take a step back - this is all very silly - lets see if gerrard actually signs a contract first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

40 Million for Gerard !!! Ye Gods now that would be a joke.

If Chelsea offer Duffer plus cash I would say Liverpool will jump for this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Does anyone at all think he'll be at Liverpool at the start of the following season, not this August the following August, if Liverpool don't come within 5 points of third place?

p.s.
    All the websites are saying 'SHOCK U-TURN'
    Was anybody else not at all shocked?

irish1 wrote:
    Seems to me there was more than 1 or 2 things he wasn't happy about from that?
    Gerrards statement is the worst statement in the history of anything, ever. It was about him wanting to leave but he never says it in the statement. It shows him in an emotional state, not being able to think things through.

My understanding is that Rick Parry went on holidays straight after the CL final. At the same time Gerrard was talking to the media saying he wanted his contract sorted out before he went on his holiday. When Parry came back, Gerrard left for his holiday. This left 3 to 4 weeks for Gerrard to wonder why Liverpool weren't rushing to sign him. Time can mess with your head, especially when your agent is talking in your ear, saying "your money's money is all that moneys".

A small problem with his contract could be seen a statement that Liverpool don't want him. You have to remember, talented as they are, footballers are NOT the smartest people on the planet.

PHB wrote:
    p.s.
    All the websites are saying 'SHOCK U-TURN'
    Was anybody else not at all shocked?
    Well I told a taxi driver yesterday that Gerrard was staying, so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

DapperGent wrote:
    This is getting farcical.

Yes, this is bordering on the farcicial, a soap opera of sorts. Brookside might be gone but we have LFC/Gerrad in its place. Parry has come into his office today and contacted the media about phone calls he made last night and this morning. This is becoming a blow by blow account, and Gerrard's negotiations are being played out in the public light. Will he, wont he? There's posturing and spin. Its difficult to tell fact from fiction. He said this, he said that. Well, no he didnt really say he wanted to go. I mis-read his emotions.

What the hell is going on? I realise that things may be slow in the soap scene with Corrie and East Enders these days, but this soap opera is being led by the partiipants who are feeding the media. Its not as if its being leaked and links are being made: eg: "Parry was seen last night talking to Gerrard, in what must be 11th hour talks".

I wonder what Benitez thinks of this? Has he given Gerrard the chief scout role from 2008 onwards?

All this to-ing and fro-ing is energy sapping and takes the focus off what LFC should be doing and that is building up a good 1st team for this year with some reasonable depth.

Football transfers and moves are a bit like Musical Chairs at times. This is bordering on a circus.

I yesterday was resigned to seeing Gerrard go but was happy that LFC would get 32m at least, hope that Real actually got him, and save 5m on salary per year. Real didnt even get a chance to do much negotiation.

The shenanigans arent good for LFC, nor for Gerrard it has to be said, who now if he stays at LFC will have some tarnished image. We'd all like Gerrard to be a committed Red, like Carra, but he hasnt been like that for the last couple of years, at least not all the time when the chips were down. It has to be said that he did pull out all the stops in the CL final, so Liverpool fans need to decide are his moans at times acceptable as long as he pulls it out on the field on most occasions.

This soap wont be over until the contract is signed.

Redspider

• Advertisement

I don't know cregser, if it was only 1 or 2 small things in his contract that he didn't like, I would have expected them to rseolve it without Parry and Gerrad's statement yesterday.

The problem nobody really knows what the truth, some reporters reckon he had a row with Rafa on saturday and didn't like the fact that the pool haven't made any major world class signings. It's all if's and but's although I reckon there is more to this than we know.

irish1 wrote:
    I don't know cregser, if it was only 1 or 2 small things in his contract that he didn't like, I would have expected them to rseolve it without Parry and Gerrad's statement yesterday.
    Look at it this way. If there was a big problem, how were Parry and Gerrard able to sort it out over a few phone calls in one night even with the media circus around them?

I was worried about this when I realised the summer holiday clash a few weeks back. Things like this happen from a lack of communication. Things like the Bellamy situation happen after bust ups. Bellamy is another example of a stupid but talented footballer.

I can see what your saying, its just very hard to know what to believe, it will be interesting to see what Gerrard has to say.

Is he just staying or actually signing a new contract? My guess is the agent talked to Madrid and didn't get good feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Screw him. Stick him on a plane with Diao. The last thing the club needs is this crap every few months. After all his badge kissing and "how could I leave this club" rubbish and then to come out yesterday and say that he has to leave and implying bad blood by saying he doesnt want to get into a slagging match. I fully believe the club wll move forward a lot more due to the money raised from his sale over his influence if he stays.

He's becoming more of a disruptive influence than Diouff could ever hope to be. At least Owen had the good grace to make a decision , stick to it and piss off. Gerrard is fooking everyone around for a year now. This needs to be put to bed now with him either leaveing or appologising to fans/club and dropping all this rubbish and putting his mind to making Liverpool the best team possible.

If he stays is this going to be his excuse for another lacklustre season ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

TheMonster wrote:
    I wonder was he told Madrid weren't interested.
    To be honest I don't think he wanted to move abroad. If he was going anywhere it was to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Apart from wanting a wage increase, it's been clear for a while that one of Stevie's gripes has been the lack of major world class signings by the club. I wonder did Parry promise something to him about increasing Rafa's kitty and a signing or two on the horizon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Shamrok wrote:
    Apart from wanting a wage increase, it's been clear for a while that one of Stevie's gripes has been the lack of major world class signings by the club. I wonder did Parry promise something to him about increasing Rafa's kitty and a signing or two on the horizon?

Fingers crossed ... Hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Im so confused, really dont know what to make of any of this! Yesterday was gutted and pissed off that he turned his back on loyalty for the sake of money/success/whatever other lame excuse, then started getting optimistic about the possibilities that the generated money opens up (while still being pissed at gerrard) and now i find he's staying, but really nothing barring him saying "I WILL stay here for at least 3 years regardless of what happens" will be enough for me to respect him again. I expect the same for a lot of fans, we cant have another season where every success or hiccup isn't seen as a measure of how we're doing as a club but as a measure of how we're doing keeping hold of our "star" player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Christ this is pathetic. He better sign a 3 year EXTENSION to his current deal. If he signs a new 3 year deal we're gonna be at the same stage this time next year ("only 2yrs left, sell now or lose value!" yadayada) and Liverpool don't need any more of this sh*t.
    "We've had some emotional moments together, cleared everything up and I don't think this will happen again."
    He better realise that he needs to get all these distractions out of his head and put in consistent performances on the pitch. If he doesn't and his value drops to 15m next summer I'll be f*cking raging. Just as Rafa is now, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement