Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best bookies?

• 06-07-2005 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

In Ireland who would you guys recommend as the top bookies in the country from your experience.

I have started to go into Boylesports and its a good shop. Nicely laid out coffee and stuff, good staff etc.

The screens are extremely good, give loads of information, races in time order, betting in running displayed so you always know what the current odds are at any one time. Silks for jockeys are displayed as well. I noticed they show irish shows in green and uk shows in blue, good idea.

Anyon have any other experiences good or bad, i didnt think pp is be as good.

Anyway thats just my opinion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

To be honest if you're gonna use conventional high street bookmakers you shouldn't concern yourself to much with glitz, instead search for the best value. All paddy power shops are different and provide different offers depending on the shop you go into. The main questions to ask when it comes to finding the right bookies are -

Do they guarantee prices on multiple bets i.e. if you do a double and you take the two prices and the horse drift, will you get the better?

Do they guarantee early prices and board prices?

How many races do they price up in the morning?

Do they pay out on disqualified and dead heated horses?

There are more too that I'm sure the lads will add to but I think Harney's Celtic and Bruce are pretty good bookies (the laters only flaw is that they don't currently guarantee multiple bets, but they do give good bonuses on bets like Lucky 15s etc)

The undoubted worst bookmaker on the planet is Ladbrokes who offer nothing. I don't think many will disagree with me on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Are the screens in the shops not an important focal point though. I have heard a few people giving out about them in Boylesports shop but i never see whats wrong with them, maybe someone can spread some light on this.

I agree with you theres more important things to get from a shop. Such as the things mentioned in the above post.

Maybe, it just doesn't bother me cause I'm never in the bookies when the races are on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I love BoyleSports. They have tv's in the toilets so you don't miss the race when taking a wizz! And they're free coffee is pretty nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

without being smart sjones - the coffee in the bookies has to be the most expensive 'free' coffee on the planet !!

• Advertisement

scargill wrote:
    without being smart sjones - the coffee in the bookies has to be the most expensive 'free' coffee on the planet !!

Hehe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Really stupid question but just go with it.

Does anyone find any problems with the display in boylesports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

My beef with boylesports, is there shop in camden street, there was no racing post in it on three different occasions i went in, not too much else wrong, but i prefer a more detailed form than the one on the walls.

Healio wrote:
    My beef with boylesports, is there shop in camden street, there was no racing post in it on three different occasions i went in, not too much else wrong, but i prefer a more detailed form than the one on the walls.

No racing post? That's pretty bad man.

its only that particular boyles in fairness, unless it is hidden, but i did give the place a thourough search.

• Advertisement

Some knacker probably walked off with it. You have to glue the feckin thing to the wall these days

fade2black wrote:
    Some knacker probably walked off with it. You have to glue the feckin thing to the wall these days

I dont mean it was robbed, there is actually no space for it, like in pp and other bolyes, there is a red plastic display unit, but in that boyles there isnt even one of these.

Burn the place to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I like Tom Floods shops around Dublin.

He guarantees all prices, early, board and multiples. I think Stanley supply prices via their computers, so have a full range of events. Will match any Paddy Power special on request.

But mostly, he takes the novel approach of actually paying his staff well, ensuring a bit of quality. You dont feel like you are in a branch of KFC.

But who goes into a bookies anyway? The internet is great for shopping around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Well I had a problem with Boyles. At Cheltenham I backed Refinement at 6/1 EW in the Champion Bumper because they had an offer of 1/4 odds 1,2,3,4 for EW purposes.

But they wouldn't pay me out claiming that they never had that offer. They did cause I asked specifically about it before I placed the bet. I got no redress though.

How about getting a good bet on. What bookie will accomadate you the best?

Applehunter.......my man......that little dittie left me down for a few thousand quid.....bloody big non handicap fields.....I had refinement in the placepot with the other 5 placed before him.....

For a good bet it generally helps to be a regular in a place...shop around and see what you can find though

(not just because i work for them) I find paddy power the most accomadating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

ONline betting is far better in my opinion, and I havent been in a bookies in about 6 months, but the most critical elemetn in any bookies is the level of chekcing done by the counter staff when you are taking a price. A good bookies will allow you to take 5/2 about a 9/4 shot, a poor bookies will correct the price. As long as they are tax free, essentially they are much of a muchness. I didnt go into a bookies for the coffee, but a jacks is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭chancer_007

where are Tom Floods shops in dublin,any around the city centre?
    I like betting on Irish racing and in particular bumpers but vey few bookies will give a morning price on a bumper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mellsmore

Paddy Power is the best of a bad lot. No other bookie comes near in regards to money back specials. PP can also be relied to consistently offer the extra place. The other lads are a bit sporatic!

• Advertisement
Advertisement